[news.newusers.questions] Responding to E-Mail Address

asanders@adobe.com (Alan Sanders) (08/25/89)

I know that E-Mail address have been discussed at length in this newsgroup,
but my question is this: I often sent E-Mail to the address given in the
Sender line and had it bounce back to me with the message: Host unknown.
Frequently there is no other Mail address provided in the article I am
responding to, so what to do?

Thanks,

Alan

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (08/25/89)

In article <1107@adobe.UUCP> asanders@adobe.com (Alan Sanders) writes:
: I know that E-Mail address have been discussed at length in this newsgroup,
: but my question is this: I often sent E-Mail to the address given in the
: Sender line and had it bounce back to me with the message: Host unknown.
: Frequently there is no other Mail address provided in the article I am
: responding to, so what to do?

Any article is going to have a From: line and a Path: line in the
article header. It may also have a Reply-To: line. The latter
contains the preferred address when replying to; From: is next, and
the article text contains e-mail instructions, you should follow
those in preference to any in the headers.

The Sender: line refers to an agent that sent the message on behalf
of the author. Sending to that agent isn't likely to get your message
to the author, unless the person behind the agent is feeling nice
that day. Do not send messages to the address in Sender:.

---
bill@twwells.com

re4@prism.gatech.EDU (RUSSELL EARNEST) (08/25/89)

In article <1107@adobe.UUCP>, asanders@adobe.com (Alan Sanders) writes:
> I know that E-Mail address have been discussed at length in this newsgroup,
> but my question is this: I often sent E-Mail to the address given in the
> Sender line and had it bounce back to me with the message: Host unknown.
> Frequently there is no other Mail address provided in the article I am
> responding to, so what to do?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan

I had the same problem when I first started mailing. (Not too many weeks ago.)
My system admin. explained that while we are on ARPNET, many addresses we send
to are on BITNET.

By adding this tag at the end of the address, ie; xxx@xxxxx.BITNET, the mailer
can tell how to direct it.

This may not be the cause of your problem, but it worked for me.

--
"There's no such thing as a free lunch, but you can get 2 for 1 with a coupon."
 - RUSSELL EARNEST     Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332

reggers@uwovax.uwo.ca (Reg Quinton) (08/25/89)

In article <1107@adobe.UUCP>, asanders@adobe.com (Alan Sanders) writes:
> I know that E-Mail address have been discussed at length in this newsgroup,
> but my question is this: I often sent E-Mail to the address given in the
> Sender line and had it bounce back to me with the message: Host unknown.
> Frequently there is no other Mail address provided in the article I am
> responding to, so what to do?

The quick answer is "talk to your  postmaster". He should be addressable as
`postmaster' and it's his job to answer this question. It's a  bad idea for
anyone else  to   recommend what   to do  at   your site since your   local
conventions may be different from everyone else.