[news.newusers.questions] Apology - my earlier posting about flaming

dente@els.ee.man.ac.uk (Colin Dente) (08/23/89)

Well... humble pie time...

In an earlier posting (6457@ux.cs.man.ac.uk) I got a bit over
emotional and expressed myself in terms that were perhaps a little
strong for a public posting.

Personally, I do not find swearing at all offensive, but I realise
that many people do, and that I should not really use 'strong' swear
words in public postings.  I would, therefore, like to apologise to
anyone who was offended by my posting.

Please note, however, that this is in NO WAY intended as an apology
for the sentiments expressed in my original posting, merely the
language.

I've included the text of the email message which prompted this for
two reasons:  Firstly because I think it is an excellent example of
how to rebuke someone, whilst still remaining civil (flamers please
take note), and secondly because I cannot (as yet) originate uucp
mail, and cannot, therefore reply to to Ed personally.

>I was originally going to post this article, but then I reconsidered
>that it would be best handled in private email.  This is not meant
>to be a public flame, merely a private suggestion.  Should you choose
>to use this (after due reflection) as part of a public posting, you
>hereby have my permission, provide you include this text in it's
>entirety.
>
>In article <6457@ux.cs.man.ac.uk> you write:
>>; if you just
>>feel like exercising your ego by flaming some poor innocent - then
>>just f**k off will you?
[Note - I just put the ** in to avoid being guilty twice...]

>ummmmm.....
>I agree with your posted sentiments after having read some of the
>flames launched here, but email might be a better place to express
>yourself in such an eloquent manner.  It does not belong on the net
>in a public posting.
>
>>If you're here to flame.... well, I've used enough obscenities in this
>>article already.
>
>Maybe one more than enough.
>
>  Ed. A. Hew       Authorized Technical Trainer        Xeni/Con Corporation

 Colin Dente                      | JANET: dente@uk.ac.man.ee.els
 Dept. of Electrical Engineering  | ARPA:  dente@els.ee.man.ac.uk
 University of Manchester         | UUCP:  ...!mcvax!ukc!man.ee.els!dente
 England                          | These might work now, but then again...

dgh@unify.UUCP (David Harrington) (08/25/89)

In article <6460@ux.cs.man.ac.uk> dente@els.ee.man.ac.uk (Colin Dente) writes:

>Well... humble pie time...

Why are you wasting net.bandwidth with your hand-wringing guilt complex?
NOBODY CARES!!!

Go away.