[news.newusers.questions] CHAOS

REZAC@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (08/23/89)

Is there a discussion group on chaos - mathmatical approaches and graphic
representations especially.  If not, how does one start a new news group?

CHARLES REZAC   *   bitnet: REZAC@UKANVAX   internet: rezac@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (08/24/89)

In article <9432@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> REZAC@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Is there a discussion group on chaos - mathmatical approaches and graphic
>representations especially.  If not, how does one start a new news group?

There are a number of avenues.  First, there's the groups
comp.theory.dynamic-sys, comp.theory.neural-nets, and
comp.theory.self-org-sys.  They are all relatively dormant, and your
site might not carry them.  Post something to get them started.

Then there's sci.math for the more mathematical aspects.  Also, there's
a mailing list on fractals, FRAC-L@GITVM1.BITNET, which is especially
interested in graphics.

Also, let me plug my own list on Systems Theory and Cybernetics,
CYBSYS-L@BINGVMB.BITNET.  A lot of our readers are very interested in
chaos.

A note about these LISTSERV mailing lists, because these are different
from news.  They generally run on the "parallel world" of VM/CMS IBM
operating systems and BITNET only nodes.  These poor souls labor without
News!  The LISTSERV functions at a site are divided between the server
functions and the list functions proper.  Consider a list
FOO-L@BAR.BITNET.  To subscribe, send a mail message to
LISTSERV@BAR.BITNET containing only the message 'SUB FOO Joe Blow'.  You
can also get help by sending the message 'HELP' to the same address.
Once your are subscribed, mail to the list itself at the address
FOO-L@BAR.BITNET.
--
O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

avery@well.UUCP (Avery Ray Colter) (08/26/89)

REZAC@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>Is there a discussion group on chaos - mathmatical approaches and graphic
>representations especially.  If not, how does one start a new news group?

>CHARLES REZAC   *   bitnet: REZAC@UKANVAX   internet: rezac@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

This one would go under the scientific hierarchy, and may be good for
a subgroup of sci.physics.

I haven't looked deeply into sci.physics to see if there's any active
choas discussions, but that's where I'd look, and possibly sci.math.

If you want to create a new newsgroup, the instructions are to be found
in news.announce.newusers, where one of the threads is specifically devoted
to the ins and outs of creating newsgroups. Basically works under a house
vote.

--
Avery Ray Colter    avery@well.sf.ca.us   71067.606@compuserve.com
{apple,lamc,lll-winken,cogsci,hplabs,pacbell}!well!avery