[news.newusers.questions] Need help with pathalias

belkin@teecs.UUCP (Hershel Belkin) (08/26/89)

Please excuse this probably trivial question, but I have exhausted
the available manuals and "README" files without finding an
answer...

In attempting to update my "pathalias" database, I find that my
version of pathalias complains about two things present in the
current maps. These are:

   1. The use of <sitename> (ie. the angle-brackets) in the
      pathalias info section of the maps.  I get a "syntax error".

   2. The use of "FAST" as a cost modifier.  (None of the documents
      I have seen mention FAST.  My pathalias comments on FAST being
      undefined, and uses its "default" of 4000 (which, it seems to me,
      probably results in a very good path being interpreted as a "bad"
      path as far as cost is concerned).

As I am using a vendor-supported version of pathalias (Hewlett-Packard),
I may be able to approach the vendor for an update, if in fact these
are "new" features.  However this could take a while...
In the interim, is there anything I can do?  Since I have no idea
that the "<...>" means, I can't think of a solution for that.  As
for the "FAST", I imagine that if I knew what numerical value FAST
represents I could simply use sed to change "FAST" to that value (?).

Any assistence here would be greatly appreciated, as my current
pathalias database (which was taken from another system) is getting
out of date!  Thanks!

--
+-----------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
| Hershel Belkin              hp9000/825 (HP-UX)|   ...!lsuc!teecs!belkin |

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (08/27/89)

In article <290003@teecs.UUCP> belkin@teecs.UUCP (Hershel Belkin) writes:
: As I am using a vendor-supported version of pathalias (Hewlett-Packard),
: I may be able to approach the vendor for an update, if in fact these
: are "new" features.

You appear to have a fairly old version of pathalias. If you can do C
compiles, your best bet is to get the source for pathalias and
compile it on your system. If you can't find a convenient way to get
pathalias source, send me e-mail and I'll send it to you. (But
please, look before asking?) If you can't do compiles, you might want
to post a request for someone to send you an appropriate binary for
your system.

---
bill@twwells.com

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (08/27/89)

In article <290003@teecs.UUCP> belkin@teecs.UUCP (Hershel Belkin) writes:
>In attempting to update my "pathalias" database, I find that my
>version of pathalias complains about two things present in the
>current maps. These are:

>   1. The use of <sitename> (ie. the angle-brackets) in the
>      pathalias info section of the maps.  I get a "syntax error".
Angle brackets mean that the site is "terminal", i.e. pathalias will
not try to create a route through that site to another site.  Nice
if you don't want everybody routing their mail thru your UUNET
link...

>   2. The use of "FAST" as a cost modifier.  (None of the documents
>      I have seen mention FAST.  My pathalias comments on FAST being
>      undefined, and uses its "default" of 4000 (which, it seems to me,
>      probably results in a very good path being interpreted as a "bad"
>      path as far as cost is concerned).
 FAST = -80.
 Both FAST and <> are features that were added in a later version of
pathalias.
>As I am using a vendor-supported version of pathalias (Hewlett-Packard),
>I may be able to approach the vendor for an update, if in fact these
>are "new" features.  However this could take a while...

Since pathalias wasn't written by Hewlett-Packard, but by Peter
Honeyman, and since pathalias source is in the public domain, it would
be simpler to get the source code from one's friendly neighborhood
archive site and compile it yourself.  You can find the source for
the current version of pathalias in the archives at osu-cis
(available for anonymous uucp request as ~/pathalias/honey/pathalias.Z);
other archive sites probably have it as well.
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp