[news.newusers.questions] Newsgroup, Article Selection questions

rchao@well.UUCP (Robert Chao) (08/27/89)

Here are a few questions and suggestions about RN commands.

1. Is there a list of all newsgroups and a short explanation of each one?
   Some are kind of bizarre, like the ones with "nice" or "sca" in them.
   Using "l" lists the names in two groups.

2. At the article selection prompt, BS never seems to work. I mean, it
   accepts commands as if the BS was working, but the BS doesn't back up
   the cursor. Is something set wrong?

3. It would be nice to be able to "junk" a large number of articles without
   it displaying the numbers [when I do "100 - 900 j."] Or is it possible?

4. If you type "u" it unsubscribes you without a yes-or-no first, which
   it does for catching up.

I'm not sure if I'm aiming these things the right direction....

...R. Chao

charleen@cinnamon.ADS.COM (Charleen Bunjiovianna) (08/28/89)

[The WELL is a public access UNIX site.]

In article <13358@well.UUCP> rchao@well.UUCP (Robert Chao) writes:

>Here are a few questions and suggestions about RN commands.
>
>1. Is there a list of all newsgroups and a short explanation of each one?
>   Some are kind of bizarre, like the ones with "nice" or "sca" in them.
>   Using "l" lists the names in two groups.
>
>2. At the article selection prompt, BS never seems to work. I mean, it
>   accepts commands as if the BS was working, but the BS doesn't back up
>   the cursor. Is something set wrong?
>
>3. It would be nice to be able to "junk" a large number of articles without
>   it displaying the numbers [when I do "100 - 900 j."] Or is it possible?
>
>4. If you type "u" it unsubscribes you without a yes-or-no first, which
>   it does for catching up.
>
>I'm not sure if I'm aiming these things the right direction....

There are several system administrators at the WELL who can help you with
these questions.  Not all of them have to do with rn; I suspect you'll have
to change something in your .login to solve #2.

I have an account on the WELL and I have always found David Hawkins (dhawk)
to be very helpful and amiable.

Charleen

The reason that so many people get lost in thought is that the
territory is unfamiliar.     -- Phil Wayne