[news.newusers.questions] Frequently asked question?

newsuser@lth.se (LTH network news server) (08/27/89)

Is this another "frequently asked question"? I have seen this used in news
quite a few times lately. "SOL": I have an idea what it stands for, but
what do the letters really mean?

I hope it isn't too obscene :-)

--
Bengt Larsson
Internet: bengtl@maths.lth.se             SUNET:    TYCHE::BENGT_L

berryh@udel.EDU (John Berryhill) (08/28/89)

In article <1989Aug27.071434.21110@lth.se> bengtl@maths.lth.se (Bengt Larsson) writes:
>Is this another "frequently asked question"?

If you include variations such as -

What are the most frequently asked questions?

or

Are there questions that are frequently asked?

Then, yes.  But, "Is this another frequently asked question?" is not
asked frequently enough to qualify, so the answer is no.

							       John Berryhill
					    143 King William, Newark DE 19711

perry@ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison) (08/29/89)

In article <22624@louie.udel.EDU> berryh@udel.EDU (John Berryhill) writes:
>In article <1989Aug27.071434.21110@lth.se> bengtl@maths.lth.se (Bengt Larsson) writes:
>>Is this another "frequently asked question"?

Let's *answer* the question, instead of quibbling over verbiage.

SOL means Sadly Out of Luck.  ("Sadly" here is subject to similar comments
as "Fine" in Read The Fine Manual.)

wbt@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (08/29/89)

In article <1989Aug27.071434.21110@lth.se> bengtl@maths.lth.se (Bengt Larsson) writes:
>Is this another "frequently asked question"? I have seen this used in news
>quite a few times lately. "SOL": I have an idea what it stands for, but
>what do the letters really mean?

Shit Outta Luck  (shit out of luck), as in, "Gee, you drove a hundred miles
to visit this site and forgot your camera ?   You're just S.O.L"

>I hope it isn't too obscene :-)

Judge for yourself  8-)

------------------------------ valuable coupon -------------------------------
Bill Thacker		wbt@cbnews.att.com			att!cbnews!wbt
	I have short-term memory loss, though I like to think of it
	  as Presidential eligibility.  -  Paula Poundstone, NNTN
Disclaimer: Farg 'em if they can't take a joke !

newsuser@lth.se (LTH network news server) (08/29/89)

YES! It was frequently answered :-) I got a whole bunch of mail explaining SOL.
I am now enlightened. Thanks.

The man who wrote about "frequently asked question?" being a frequently
asked question knew that many probably would answer the real question and
meant no harm (he said so via e-mail).