[news.newusers.questions] Skipping the "More" promt

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (08/21/89)

While using RN, how does one cause the remainder of a news article to be
displayed without receiving anymore "MORE" prompts.
The reason?
Sometimes someone posts a uuencoded file that I want to capture with my
computer.  I would like to give RN a command so that the remainder of the
article will flow without stopping.  I also won't need to edit out the
"MORE" text later.

Any thoughts?

Thanks much.

--
 - Joel E. Swan
[  swan@jolnet.UUCP                   <>  PLINK ID: Amiga*joel         ]

charleen@cinnamon.ADS.COM (Charleen Bunjiovianna) (08/21/89)

In article <1361@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> swan@jolnet.UUCP (Joel Swan) writes:
>While using RN, how does one cause the remainder of a news article to be
>displayed without receiving anymore "MORE" prompts.
>The reason?
>Sometimes someone posts a uuencoded file that I want to capture with my
>computer.  I would like to give RN a command so that the remainder of the
>article will flow without stopping.  I also won't need to edit out the
>"MORE" text later.
>
>Any thoughts?

[jolnet.orpk.il.us is a public access UNIX site]

IMHO, you're going about this the wrong way.  Doing a screen capture of
a file on your local machine is kind of a mickey-mouse way of creating
the file you need, but if you insist on doing it that way, don't bother
with rn.  Find out where news articles are stored on disk (on our system
it's /usr/spool/news/news/newusers/questions for this group, for example),
then cat the article you want while doing a screen capture.

Better way:  get a comm program that supports Kermit.  Several of them
are available for the Amiga (isn't that what you have?).  The one you're
using may even support it.

Best way:  ask your sysadmin (Rich Andrews?) to help you set up downloads.
If Jolnet doesn't have Kermit, they can get it.  And they won't know
that you need to do downloads unless you tell them so.  If you're paying
for access, Jolnet should be responsive to your needs.

Charleen

The reason so many people get lost in thought is that the territory is
unfamiliar.                          -- Phil Wayne

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (08/22/89)

In article <1361@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> swan@jolnet.UUCP (Joel Swan) writes:
>While using RN, how does one cause the remainder of a news article to be
>displayed without receiving anymore "MORE" prompts.
>The reason?
>Sometimes someone posts a uuencoded file that I want to capture with my
>computer.  I would like to give RN a command so that the remainder of the
>article will flow without stopping.  I also won't need to edit out the
>"MORE" text later.

Unless your connection is RELIABLE (e.g. you are using MNP or
some other error-correcting technique) your best bet is to save
the article (using some variant of the "s" or "w" commands) and
use kermit/[xyz]modem or somesuch to do the actual transfer.
You are asking for serious trouble otherwise.

If you DO have a reliable connection, you can save to /dev/tty
and the entire article will be written to your terminal.  If
you use DC2/DC4 to trigger capture, you can create a shell script
containing

	echo "\022\c";cat;echo "\024\c"
or
	echo -n "\022";cat;echo -n "\024"

(whichever works on your system) and pipe into it.  Then you
shouldn't have to edit anything out.

					-=EPS=-

erck12@castle.ed.ac.uk (G Ballinger) (08/22/89)

In article <1361@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> swan@jolnet.UUCP (Joel Swan) writes:
>The reason?
>Sometimes someone posts a uuencoded file that I want to capture with my
>computer.  I would like to give RN a command so that the remainder of the
>article will flow without stopping.

	The version of RN that I am using has a 's' command which will save the
current article out to a file. There is no need to play around with spooled
output.

--

 Geoff Ballinger,                    JANET: Geoff@Ed.Ac.Uk
 CS/AI,                               ARPA: Geoff%Uk.Ac.Ed@nsfnet-relay.Ac.Uk

spector@sumax.UUCP (Mitchell Spector) (08/23/89)

In article <1361@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> swan@jolnet.UUCP (Joel Swan) writes:
>While using RN, how does one cause the remainder of a news article to be
>displayed without receiving anymore "MORE" prompts.

   People have given a couple of relatively complex answers, but if this
is really all you want to do, just type

        |cat

to pipe the article to the command cat.  (I assume you are using a Unix
system.)  Strictly speaking, this causes the entire article to be displayed,
not just the remainder, which is what you actually asked for, but what it
does is probably what you want.

--
Mitchell Spector
Dept. of Computer Science and Software Engineering

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (08/23/89)

Thanks to all of those (at least 10) who reponded by mail and posting.
Here is a quick look at the ideas given.

1. s or w (save or save w/o header) the posting to a file and use Kermit or cat
   to the screen

2. s /dev/tty  or w /dev/tty  and ascii capture

3. s|/dev/tty  or w|/dev/tty  and ascii capture

4. |cat  or  |/dev/tty  and ascii capture

So far I've used method 1 for longer postings and file (with Kermit) and
method 4 and ascii caprutre for short uudecoded postings.

Again, thanks for each and every person who replied.
(Hey, this group did a good job.  Congrats.  Some music amongst the noise :-)

--

schaut@madnix.UUCP (Rick Schaut) (08/23/89)

In article <1361@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> swan@jolnet.UUCP (Joel Swan) writes:
>While using RN, how does one cause the remainder of a news article to be
>displayed without receiving anymore "MORE" prompts.

At the "more" prompt, type 's [filename]<cr>' to save that article
to a file.  Once you've saved it, you can do anything you want with
the file (like edit out all of the stuff that isn't uuencoded).

--
   Richard Schaut
ArpaNet: madnix!schaut@cs.wisc.edu

koerberm@nixsin.UUCP (Mathias Koerber) (08/23/89)

In article <1361@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> swan@jolnet.UUCP (Joel Swan) writes:
>While using RN, how does one cause the remainder of a news article to be
>displayed without receiving anymore "MORE" prompts.
>..
>Sometimes someone posts a uuencoded file that I want to capture with my
>computer.  I would like to give RN a command so that the remainder of the
>article will flow without stopping.

Why not use rn to normally read the article. Then just use the "s" command
to save the article to a file. You will be asked if rn shall save the
article in mailbox format, which you should answer with "n".
You will then get a normal text file, containing the whole article including
the headers. These can be deleted very easily using an editor.
After this process, you can use the file in any way you want.

have fun

Mathias
--
-Mathias Koerber           |Tel:   +65 / 7473828 ext 431 |Fax: +65 / 7474331
-Nixdorf Computer Singapore|EUnet: koerber.sin@nixpbe    |nerv:  koerber.sin

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (08/30/89)

In article <294@nixsin.UUCP> koerberm@nixsin.UUCP (Mathias Koerber) writes:
>                                                       use the "s" command
>to save the article to a file. You will be asked if rn shall save the
>article in mailbox format, which you should answer with "n".

If you find that question annoying, put -N in the RNINIT
environment variable (or file it points to).