Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
Subject: Re: Simtel to PC troubles
Date: 6 Sep 89 16:19:03 GMT
Sender: news@boulder.Colorado.EDU

To: saroff@jvncf.csc.org.UUCP
Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
Bcc:

To: saroff@jvncf.csc.org.UUCP
Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
Bcc:

In article <568@jvncf.UUCP> you write:
>I am having trouble with the Simtel archives.  I ftped some .ARC and a
>.EXE self unfolding archive and then donw loaded the buggers to my
>AT vi kermit.
>
>However, I couldn't read the .ARC files (granted I was using the evil
>PKARC program) and the .EXE file did not run.
>
>Am I doing somethig stupid, or is this a know problem.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>--
>			SzS
>Dr. S.Z. Saroff
>John von Neumann National Supercomputer Center   bitnet:   saroff@jvncc
>665 College Road East, P.O. Box 3717             internet: saroff@jvncc.csc.org
>Princeton, NJ 08543   (609) 520-2000                       saroff@jvncf.csc.org
>
>                o o
>                (_)____o
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(_____)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>                  oo oo          The Bear who Swims

You did not mention the type of machine you are using and I believe this will
determine the more of transfer used, either binary or TENEX.  Also, when you
download with kermit use SET FILE TYPE BINARY on host machine prior to down-

Regards

Allen Gordon

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (09/08/89)

In article <745@chyde.uwasa.fi> ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:
>Here (below) is a very good example how quoting should not be done.
>The ratio of new and quoted text is roughly 1 to 5:

I agree with the point, but I think it would have been helpful to show
how to constructively edit down the quoted material.  For example:

Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
Date: 6 Sep 89 16:19:03 GMT
Sender: news@boulder.Colorado.EDU

To: saroff@jvncf.csc.org.UUCP
Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
Bcc:

To: saroff@jvncf.csc.org.UUCP
Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
Bcc:

In article <568@jvncf.UUCP> you write:
>I am having trouble with the Simtel archives.  I ftped some .ARC and a
>.EXE self unfolding archive and then donw loaded the buggers to my
>AT vi kermit.
>
>However, I couldn't read the .ARC files (granted I was using the evil
>PKARC program) and the .EXE file did not run.
>
>Am I doing somethig stupid, or is this a know problem.

You did not mention the type of machine you are using and I believe this will
determine the more of transfer used, either binary or TENEX.  Also, when you
download with kermit use SET FILE TYPE BINARY on host machine prior to down-

Regards

Allen Gordon

Note that this eliminates several of the quoted lines (such as the
.signature).  When you're quoting a previous article, include enough
information to give your response some meaning, but don't quote
everything.  And there's especially no need to quote the .signature.

--
Geoff Allen - WINCO Computer Process Engineering
...{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (09/10/89)

In article <748@pmafire.UUCP> geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) writes:
>In article <745@chyde.uwasa.fi> ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:
>>Here (below) is a very good example how quoting should not be done.
>I agree with the point, but I think it would have been helpful to show
>how to constructively edit down the quoted material.  For example:
>
>.signature).  When you're quoting a previous article, include enough
>information to give your response some meaning, but don't quote
>everything.  And there's especially no need to quote the .signature.

Right you are.  I should have been more constructive.  Informative
quoting is not always easy, and sometimes users just get lazy or
(especially newcomers) have technical difficulties in quoting.  As
you say, the important thing is to use quotes in a manner which
gives the reader and idea what the reply is about, and at the same
time keep the quote short.  One good rule of thumb is that that if
one has to scroll the screen in order to come to the beginning of
the reply, the quote is too long.

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun