[news.newusers.questions] Posting a New article

In rn the f,F commands are used to post followup articles, but
what is the command for posting a new article? Say for instance if
a group had no unread articles.

joshi

joshia@frith.egr.msu.edu
"Stand men of the west. Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom!"

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (09/12/89)

In article <4546@cps3xx.UUCP> joshia@frith.UUCP (Amaresh Joshi) writes:
: In rn the f,F commands are used to post followup articles, but
: what is the command for posting a new article? Say for instance if
: a group had no unread articles.

Um. I don't recall that there is one. I just type !Pnews.

---
bill@twwells.com

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (09/12/89)

In article <4546@cps3xx.UUCP> joshia@frith.UUCP (Amaresh Joshi) writes:
>In rn the f,F commands are used to post followup articles, but
>what is the command for posting a new article? Say for instance if
>a group had no unread articles.

If you followup the "null article" (which is at the end of the
newsgroup; you can get there by typing $) Pnews crafts a new
article.  If the newsgroup is long-inactive ("Newsgroup xxx
does not have a spool directory!") this might not work.

[From newsgroup selection level use .f to post a new article]

					-=EPS=-

kleinj@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Justin Klein) (09/12/89)

In message <1614@twwells.com>, bill@twwells.com (T.William Wells), in answer
to a query from joshia@frith.UUCP (Amaresh Joshi) suggest that the only way
he know of to post news to a newsgroup with no unread message in it is to
issue the command

   !Pnews

Since I am a new user who got though posting news himslf at last, late last
t, with little or no help from support (If you are watching, support,
please still answer the mail I left you...the help I need is boundless),
I found out a way or two to do it otherwise.  One is quite interesting and
rather unexpectd.

The obvious one is to use simply the command Pnews <news.group.name>.   I liked
this as it also prompted me for distirbution with a list of al the good ones
I could get from here.

The other one is not as obvious, but had the virtue of begin the one my system
help file suggested (interestingly enough...it wasn't to get out of the news
group and typ 'Pnews'...that one I figured out on my own!).  all that is nece-
ssry is to use the followup command (little 'f') on what the help calls the
'end of newsgroup pseudoarticle'.  This seems to be an article in the same way
the permanent .END. in an HP41C's program memory is an instruction.

To do it this way, I had to 'g' to the newsgroup in question: g here.dummy .
The system answered my by saying ******  0 unread messages in here.dummy <CR>
read now?[ynq].  To this question I answered 'yes'.  The next thing I got was
the notice 'end of here.dummy'.  This is the end-of newsgroup pseudoarticle.
Just after this was the prompt: 'What next  [npq]?'  It was here I entered the
'f'.  In following up to the pseudoarticle, the system had nothing, really to
follow up to, and assumed I, then, wanted to post an original article.

Simple (????????!) as that.  I guess.

In a spirit of total confusion....
-kleinj@jacobs.cs.orst.edu-/-Justin the Blue-/-The CP/M Institute of Ecotopia-
SNAIL MAIL:Not since my attack cat got out
ARPA:Say 'excuse me' after you make that noise, youngster!
COMPU$ERVE:What do I look like, made of money or something?!?!?!

lwake@runcible.Sun.COM (Larry Wake - SE Sun LA North - 818-905-0200) (09/13/89)

In article <1989Sep12.015235.1614@twwells.com> bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) writes:
>In article <4546@cps3xx.UUCP> joshia@frith.UUCP (Amaresh Joshi) writes:
>: In rn the f,F commands are used to post followup articles, but
>: what is the command for posting a new article? Say for instance if
>: a group had no unread articles.
>
>Um. I don't recall that there is one. I just type !Pnews.

Another way to do it is to use the $ command to go to the pseudo-article
after the last article, and use F or f to post a followup to that
article.  You'll be prompted for a new subject and then thrown into your
favorite editor as usual.

This can also be used to post to a group that has no unread articles.
Go to that group, and when you're prompted:

    0 unread articles in comp.protocols.tcp-ip.eniac--read now? [ynq]

press "y" .  You'll get the same message as if you'd typed $ in a
group with articles, i.e.:

    End of newsgroup comp.protocols.tcp-ip.eniac.

    What next? [qnp]

...and you can press f or F.

(Disclaimer: I don't hold this out as being *the* right answer, but it's
another answer, and it works for me.)
Larry Wake, Sun Microsystems (lwake@sun.com)

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (09/13/89)

Whew! Those are some kind of longwinded explanations!

Just type:	$f

in any newsgroup to post a new article.

It is also not a felony to issue 'f' after ANY article and just re-edit
the header to be what you want!

But for heavens' sake, don't put a message id in the "Followup-To:"
field!!  Followup-To: is supposed to contain the name of a NEWSGROUP if
it contains anything -- normally it should be blank if discussion should
continue in the same group.
--
Annex Canada now!  We need the room,	\)	Tom Neff
    and who's going to stop us.		(\	tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

mikeh@dell.dell.com (Mike Hammel) (09/13/89)

In article <1989Sep12.015235.1614@twwells.com> bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) writes:
-In article <4546@cps3xx.UUCP> joshia@frith.UUCP (Amaresh Joshi) writes:
-: In rn the f,F commands are used to post followup articles, but
-: what is the command for posting a new article? Say for instance if
-: a group had no unread articles.
-
-Um. I don't recall that there is one. I just type !Pnews.

From the man page for rn:
	f	submit a followup article.  If on a nonexistant
		article such as the "End of Newsgroup" pseudo
		article (which you can get to with the '$' command),
		post an original article (basenote).

I had the same question.  Didn't figure it out till you folks here helped me
figure out how to print the man page. :-)

Of course, this works for rn only (as far as I know).  I don't know about the
various other news readers.

Michael J. Hammel   | UUCP(preferred): ...!cs.utexas.edu!dell!Kepler!mjhammel
Dell Computer Corp. | Also: ...!dell!mikeh  or 73377.3467@compuserve.com
Austin, TX
Disclaimer: These are my views, not those of my employers. So there.

In article <4546@cps3xx.UUCP> joshia@frith.UUCP  I write:
>In rn the f,F commands are used to post followup articles, but
>what is the command for posting a new article? Say for instance if
>a group had no unread articles.

Thanks to everyone who responded through the net or e-mail. I knew
about Pnews, but I wanted to know if there was a way to evoke it from
inside rn (which is what f,F do) directly.

In my system if I'm at the end of a newsgroup and type f or F I get

End of newsgroup xxx.xxx What next? [npq] f
Null articles give me indigestion :-)
What next? [npq]

The same thing occurs on the newsgroup selection level.

Oh well, guess the only way is "!Pnews".

joshi
joshia@frith.egr.msu.edu
"Stand men of the west. Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom!"

bnews@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (09/13/89)

To post news, there's usually the program postnews available. Thus, if a
group contains no articles, just say 'postnews' and reply truthfully to
the questions that follow.

If you have no postnews you might try to 'g newsgroup' and reply to
'0 unread articles in <whatever>. What now ? [npq]' with f. This once
worked for us here on a site without access to postnews (dialin mailbox).

Try it. Don't tell me about the results.

Martin
--
Martin Boening, c/o Nixdorf Computer AG, DS-CC2, Paderborn, West-Germany
Email:                                 |  Phone: (+49) 5251 146155