[news.newusers.questions] Signature lines, this is going too far!

esker@abaa.uucp (Lawrence Esker) (08/22/89)

In article <30649@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
>Hello, new users! Today's lesson in USENET etiquette comes courtesy
>of Mr. Lawrence Esker:

    [Forged graphics deleted.]

>The lesson, new users, as illustrated above, is: don't use long signatures,
>and don't ever, under any circumstances whatsoever, use giant "graphic"
>letters.
>
>Thank you for your time.

If Bill had been on this usegroup for more than a week, unstead of deciding
to tell the whole word about his expertise on read news without reading
anything anyone else has to say, he would have seen my response that said
post was NOT from me.  It is another of those "forgeries" resulting from bad
software in the fidonet.

But since Bill can waste bandwidth with his motor-mouth with at least 6
messages on the same repetative subject, he must not realize that 6 useless
messages with one line signatures is worse than one good post and a 6 line
signature.

Now today's lesson, the NN recognizes signatures by <return>--<return>.  If
the sequence doesn't exist, Bill's kill file of signatures greater than 4
lines will not work.  Hence the booby prize, my real signature (which I've
decided to keep for a while longer in honor of Bill.)

Sorry for offending the innocent, but Bill's evangelistic preaching pissed
me off.  I realize I deserve all flames I get from the offended innocent.
Bill Wisner, shut the %#$& up!

 -- (Hah, didn't work, did it Bill)
---------- Lawrence W. Esker ----------  Modern Amish: Thou shalt not need any
\  *        *             *  *******  /  computer that is not IBM compatible.
 \  *        *     *     *  *        /
  \  *        *   * *   *  *****    / Sr. Hardware/ASIC Design Engineer
   \  *        * *   * *  *        /  Allen-Bradley Communications Div.
    \  *******  *     *  *******  /   Work: (313)668-2500  Home: (313)973-8561
     -----------------------------    Compuserve: 76337,2524
UseNet Smart: esker@abaa.uucp  or  abaa!esker@itivax.iti.org
UseNet Other: __!uunet!mimsy!rutgers!citi!itivax!abaa!esker
Nothing left to do but :-) ;-) ;-D

esker@abaa.uucp (Lawrence Esker) (08/22/89)

And now to hang my head in shame, I would not have posted my previous
response had I seen Wisner's waste of 3 more posts and Bill Well's excellent
commentary.  Another lesson for newusers.  Don't post a response until
you have read the entire thread (however long and meaningless), you may find
someone else beat you to it.

In article <1989Aug20.025847.3430@twwells.com> bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) writes:
>In article <30748@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
>: I count three network addresses (one would do quite nicely), two phone numbers
>: (so he won't miss the flood of callers congratulating him on his beautiful
>: signature), his job title (for the prospective employers out there), his
>: current employer and two, count them, *two* cute little slogans. All I see
>: missing are his physical characteristics and whether he's an organ donor.
>
>Wisner?
>
>Get off his case!
>
>Big signatures are a minor irritation; you don't need to make a
>federal case of it! Signature size is essentially a matter of courtesy.
>
>---
>Bill                    { uunet | novavax | ankh | sunvice } !twwells!bill
>bill@twwells.com

Thank you for coming to my defense!  I created this signature when I started
and the mail connections were still unsure, I needed all the addresses until
I started getting some email to see how people got back to me.  And Wisner
is right about the "prospective employers" bit :-).  I must complement Wisner
on his perception, every part of my signature had a purpose and he found
every one (except the graphics), give him an apple.

BTW.  The form of the graphics has been my signature on all paperwork,
paintings, MacDraw, etc. ever since I could use a computer (> 12 years).
Seems most appropriate to use it here.

And now in honor of Bill Wisner...  I promise, this is my last memorium!
 -- (Still haven't killed my signature yet Bill?)
---------- Lawrence W. Esker ----------  Modern Amish: Thou shalt not need any
Height: 6' 6"                            computer that is not IBM compatible.
Weight: 275 lbs
Disposition: A teddy bear, except     Sr. Hardware/ASIC Design Engineer
             when I am a mean SOB.    Allen-Bradley Communications Div.
I give blood on a regular basis       Work: (313)668-2500  Home: (313)973-8561
  will be an organ donor when I die.  Compuserve: 76337,2524
UseNet Smart: esker@abaa.uucp  or  abaa!esker@itivax.iti.org
UseNet Other: __!uunet!mimsy!rutgers!citi!itivax!abaa!esker
Nothing left to do but :-) ;-) ;-D

tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) (08/23/89)

Well, ANOTHER lesson for new users is that when you realize after posting
something that you shouldn't have posted it, you can CANCEL your posting
rather than creating a big second posting apologizing for the first one.
In "rn" the "C" key does the trick - with other newsreaders check the
documentation.
--
"We walked on the moon --	((	Tom Neff
	you be polite"		 )) 	tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

pat@orac.pgh.pa.us (Pat Barron) (08/25/89)

In article <14580@bfmny0.UUCP> tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
>Well, ANOTHER lesson for new users is that when you realize after posting
>something that you shouldn't have posted it, you can CANCEL your posting
>rather than creating a big second posting apologizing for the first one.
>In "rn" the "C" key does the trick - with other newsreaders check the
>documentation.

Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.  If your news system is
compiled to use GENERICPATH or GENERICFROM (or, in older versions,
HIDDENNET) - that is, if it's set up to make all postings from your
site look like they came from one central machine - you may not be
able to cancel your own articles.  I've had this happen, and have had
to forge cancel messages to get around the problem (I had netnews
admin privs on the machine I did this from, so it's not "bad" that
I forged the cancel....).

--Pat.
--
Pat Barron
Internet:  pat@orac.pgh.pa.us  - or -   orac!pat@gateway.sei.cmu.edu

strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) (09/07/89)

In article <14580@bfmny0.UUCP> tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
}Well, ANOTHER lesson for new users is that when you realize after posting
}something that you shouldn't have posted it, you can CANCEL your posting
}rather than creating a big second posting apologizing for the first one.
}In "rn" the "C" key does the trick - with other newsreaders check the
}documentation.
}--
}"We walked on the moon --	((	Tom Neff
}	you be polite"		 )) 	tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

Now is the time.
--

Norm   (strong@tc.fluke.com)

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (09/13/89)

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
> }Well, ANOTHER lesson for new users is that when you realize after posting
> something that you shouldn't have posted it, you can CANCEL your posting
> rather than creating a big second posting apologizing for the first one.
> In "rn" the "C" key does the trick - with other newsreaders check the
> documentation.

At many sites (ours included) it DOESN'T do the trick; it takes more
thought than most system managers are prepared to put in to configure
things so this works.  (Here you get an error message saying "Can't
cancel someone else's article", which I believe is the usual symptom
of this screwup).

Better to think more carefully about your article in the first place;
instead of following up immediately using the "F" key, save the
article you're following up (with "w"), mark it unread (with "M"),
edit your followup outside the newsreader, and then reinvoke it to do
the followup.  If you add a cooling-off period like that, the chances
are you'll also take the time to check spelling, grammar, layout,
factual accuracy, and whether your article is really necessary anyhow.
All of which make life pleasanter for the rest of us on the net.

--
Jack Campin  *  Computing Science Department, Glasgow University, 17 Lilybank
Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, SCOTLAND.    041 339 8855 x6045 wk  041 556 1878 ho