[news.newusers.questions] Filler lines

levine@ics.uci.edu (David Levine) (08/21/89)

Some mailers refuse to post an followup article that has fewer
new lines that cited lines.  Some netters say that adding
filler lines to fake it is "bad", and that a better way is
to change to > citation character to something that doesn't
get counted as an included line.

Why is adding filler lines so "bad"?
A few suggestions I've thought of/heard, which don't convince me:
1) waste bits,
2) not as easy to figure out how many filler lines are needed,
3) make printing difficult.
David L. Levine         levine@ics.uci.edu   or   uci-ics!levine
Dept. of ICS; University of California, Irvine; Irvine, CA 92717

jgreely@oz.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (08/22/89)

In article <21376@paris.ics.uci.edu> levine@ics.uci.edu (David Levine) writes:
>Some mailers refuse to post an followup article that has fewer
>new lines that cited lines.

This is a good thing.  In general, if you don't have as much to say as
the person you're replying to, you haven't accomplished anything.
Frequently, you see someone quote an entire article, say "Me, too!",
and then insert 30 lines of filler.  What have they really said?  "I
agree, but I have nothing to add to your arguments save my agreement."
Surely, the author must then feel blessed.

>Why is adding filler lines so "bad"?

Because you're adding padding to make up for having nothing to say.

  Consider: the entire body of the article is counted, and only those
starting with '>' count against you.  That means that the "whosaid"
line, as well as any blank lines, are counted as original.  Without
saying a word, you've got a good start.  Now all you have to do in
most cases is manage a sentence for every paragraph you're quoting.
Easy, no?

>A few suggestions I've thought of/heard, which don't convince me:
>1) waste bits,

Let's say you quote 30 lines of text (common).  You add a one line
reply.  Now you have to add 27 lines of filler to post it.  And do you
add one character at the beginning of the line?  No, you add a line
that says "inews filler. ignore", because that's how you've seen it
done before.  27*21==567 bytes.  Doesn't sound like much, does it?  Of
course, there are about 3000 articles posted every day, and if even
five percent of them follow your model, it adds over 83 Kbytes to a
day's news.

  Personally, I think that articles should be run through 'uniq'
before being counted.  It wouldn't stop the problem, but maybe we
could make it difficult enough that people would break down and trim
annotations (or, better yet, say something!).  Of course, counting
>'s, was supposed to do that too...

-=-
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)

levine@ics.uci.edu (David Levine) (08/22/89)

In article <JGREELY.89Aug21142110@oz.cis.ohio-state.edu> J Greely <jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>In article <21376@paris.ics.uci.edu> levine@ics.uci.edu (David Levine) writes:
>>Some mailers refuse to post an followup article that has fewer
>>new lines that cited lines.
>
>This is a good thing.  In general, if you don't have as much to say as
>the person you're replying to, you haven't accomplished anything.
>
>>Why is adding filler lines so "bad"?
>
>Because you're adding padding to make up for having nothing to say.

I should have said this in my original posting to avoid this type of response:
I KNOW that it is a good thing.  But, there are unusual circumstances under
which it is NOT a good thing.  My question was why changing the citation
character is better than adding filler lines.
[filler
 filler
 filler
 filler
 filler
 filler] :-)

wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) (08/22/89)

>                             Some netters say that adding
>filler lines to fake it is "bad", and that a better way is
>to change to > citation character to something that doesn't
>get counted as an included line.

As J said, the best solution is not to quote so bloody much of previous
articles. On USENET, brevity is golden.

But if you really must quote a huge chunk of someone else's article, and
you decide to change the > characters to something else to fool inews, please,
at least make sure you don't muck up your References line. Every commonly
used UNIX editor I know of allows the user to use regular expressions in
search-and-replace commands; so, instead of saying "change > into <" try
saying "change ^> into <". (For the uninitiated, a caret at the beginning
of a regular expression matches the beginning of a line, so ^> will only
match carets at the beginning of lines -- not those at the end of message
IDs.)

In vi, you can use :g/^>/s//</ (incomprehensible, but effective).
In emacs, you can use vi. (cf. alt.religion.computers)

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (08/22/89)

David Levine <levine@wagram.ics.uci.edu> writes:
>  My question was why changing the citation
>character is better than adding filler lines.

Because adding filler lines makes the article longer and thus more
expensive to ship around the net, store on disk, etc.  In short, for the
same reasons that these morons have been frothing about .signature files
lately.  Changing the quote character from ">" to something else doesn't
change the size of the article.

[Not to mention the fact that it takes no extra effort on the reader's
part to deal with a different quote character.  The same can't be said
for filler lines which one must explicitly wade through.]

Disclaimer: Did I say "morons?"  What I meant was "concerned participants."

--
unsigned *Wayne_Mesard();    "Brain and brain!  What is brain?"
Mesard@BBN.COM

charlie@mica.stat.washington.edu (Charlie Geyer) (08/22/89)

In article <21376@paris.ics.uci.edu> levine@ics.uci.edu (David Levine) writes:

> Some mailers refuse to post an followup article that has fewer
> new lines that cited lines.  Some netters say that adding
> filler lines to fake it is "bad", and that a better way is
> to change to > citation character to something that doesn't
> get counted as an included line.
>
> Why is adding filler lines so "bad"?

It's not.  The requirement is stupid.  Gigalines of garbage are posted
every year, but this often silly requirement is the only one enforced
by software.

It is quite all right to post a 10 line quote with a 1 line response.

You should, however, use filler that is blank lines (one character
per) rather than cute sayings.

tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) (08/22/89)

Sometimes the person you're following up to can't seem to say ANYTHING
in less than 25 lines (logorrhea) -- if you're pithier, inews can
penalize you.  When this happens, chop the daylights out of the quoted
material, while trying to preserve the meaning.  Or [paraphrase].  Don't
add extra stuff just to make room, unless it's only one or two blank
lines to satify the silly filter.

And don't quote e-n-t-i-r-e articles including signature and
everything.  That's wasteful.  Just quote the text you're responding to.
... surrounded with dots ...
--
"We walked on the moon --	((	Tom Neff
	you be polite"		 )) 	tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

dattier@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (David W. Tamkin) (08/22/89)

Bill Wisner wrote in <30792@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>:

| But if you really must quote a huge chunk of someone else's article, and
| you decide to change the > characters to something else to fool inews, please,
| at least make sure you don't muck up your References line.

In rn you can set the -F switch to supply a different citation character.
For example, I have '-F"| "' in my RNINIT and the results are apparent above.
The message-ID's in the references and attribution lines still retain their
angle brackets and I don't have to worry that an editor command to change
the citation character will spoil them.

I have also trimmed down Wisner's article to the part to which I am
responding and resisted quoting his .signature (a common practice that does
nothing but waste bandwidth, except when the .signature is the item under
discussion).

David Tamkin   dattier@jolnet.orpk.il.us  {attctc|netsys|ddsw1}!jolnet!dattier
P. O. Box 813        GEnie:  D.W.TAMKIN     BIX:  dattier     CIS:  73720,1570
Rosemont, Illinois  60018-0813    Voice Mail: +1 312 693 0591, +1 708 518 6769

wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) (08/23/89)

>I have also trimmed down Wisner's article to the part to which I am
>responding and resisted quoting his .signature

Signature? What signature?

bnews@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (08/23/89)

Well, I guess filler lines are bad because they circumvent a news
restriction: to never send postings which include more text from other
articles than is written by the followup-writer. If a conrtibution to
a discussion is 10 lines, you simply should not include 600 lines of
reference (like in those 'Subject: Re: blabla (long)' where the whole
blabla gets included).

Usually a short summary of the article being followed up to should
suffice to make your meaning clear and show what you're refering to.
Readers who need to know more can always look at the reference line
in the header to find articles containing more about the discussion.

If you're answering questions, just include the question itself, don't
use the text leading up to it. This will usually be enough to help
people see what you're refering to.

If you absolutely insist on filler lines, use VERY short text. This
minimizes the waste byte count :-)

BTW: You'll notice that I didn't include the base article. So, if you
don't know what the heck I'm talking about, read the article referred
to in the References: line.

So long

Martin
--
Martin Boening, c/o Nixdorf Computer AG, DS-CC2, Paderborn, West-Germany
Email:                                 |  Phone: (+49) 5251 146155

levine@ics.uci.edu (David Levine) (08/25/89)

Summary of responses to my original question:
   Why is adding filler lines worse than changing the citation character?

Suggested possibilities:
1) wastes bits,
2) not as easy to figure out how many filler lines are needed,
3) makes printing difficult,
4) more obnoxious to read,
5) some people look at the number of lines when determining whether or
   not to read a posting, and filler lines can throw that off.

These trade-off against sticking with the default citation character ('>'):
1) it's easier,
2) you don't have to worry about mucking up other appearances of it, like
   in References,
3) some people look for the default citation character when determining
   whether or not to read a posting.

There is an easy way to avoid the issue with rn; use the -F option to
change your citation character.
--

oliver@athena.mit.edu (James D. Oliver III) (08/28/89)

In article <460@nixpbe.UUCP> bnews@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) writes:
>BTW: You'll notice that I didn't include the base article. So, if you
>don't know what the heck I'm talking about, read the article referred
>to in the References: line.

Okay, so how do you find an article by message-ID, given that Rn lists
the articles in numerical order within groups, which apparently has
no relation.

____________________________
	Jim Oliver
	oliver@athena.mit.edu
	oliver%mitwccf.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU

r4@cbnews.ATT.COM (richard.r.grady..jr) (08/28/89)

In article <13871@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> oliver@athena.mit.edu (James D. Oliver III) writes:

>Okay, so how do you find an article by message-ID, given that Rn lists
>the articles in numerical order within groups, which apparently has
>no relation.

As an example, suppose I'm searching back for your article, which has an ID of
          <13871@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>
I'll be looking for an article with the line
in the header.  So I use the search command
    ?ID: *<13781@bloom?hr
where the "ID:" is the end of "Message-ID:",
" *" means any number of spaces (in case there are more than one space here),
"<13781@bloom" is the first part of the ID of the message I'm looking for,
the question marks mean to search backwards,
the trailing "h" means to search all of the header lines,
and the trailing "r" means to search already-read articles also.
--
Dick Grady              r_r_grady@att.com          ...!att!mvuxd!r4

tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) (08/28/89)

In article <13871@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> oliver@athena.mit.edu (James D. Oliver III) writes:
>Okay, so how do you find an article by message-ID, given that Rn lists
>the articles in numerical order within groups, which apparently has
>no relation.

In "rn" you can do this two ways.  The longer more precise way is to use
the back-search key "?" as follows:

	?d: <460@nixpbe?rh

This will hunt backwards for the article with "Message-Id:
<460@nixpbe.UUCP>" in the header.  The "r" at the end of the command
tells "rn" to search messages marked as already read; the "h" says look
in the whole header (without the "h" it would only look at the Subject;
with a "a" it would search the article text as well).

The quicker less precise way is to hit Ctrl-P, which searches backwards
for the previous message (read or unread) with the same Subject line as
the current.  A few quick Ctrl-P's is usually all it takes to find a
referenced article.

I recommend that all new users take the time to read the documentation
for their chosen newsreader - rn or whatever.  You can learn a lot.
--

newsuser@lth.se (LTH network news server) (08/29/89)

>In article <460@nixpbe.UUCP> bnews@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) writes:

>Okay, so how do you find an article by message-ID, given that Rn lists
>the articles in numerical order within groups, which apparently has
>no relation.

I have a little RN macro for this which i thought i could share.
It searches (backwards) for the referenced article (the article
with the message-id mentioned last on the "References:" line).

Place this in a file .rnmac in your login directory and off you go.

-- cut here --
# Search (backwards) for referenced article (bound to "l" in article and
# pager mode). By Bengt Larsson, <bengtl@maths.lth.se>
l	%(%m=[ap]??\^Message-ID\:.*%r?hr^J:l)
-- cut here --

--
Bengt Larsson
Internet: bengtl@maths.lth.se             SUNET:    TYCHE::BENGT_L

mikeh@dell.dell.com (Mike Hammel) (08/30/89)

In article <14600@bfmny0.UUCP> tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
-I recommend that all new users take the time to read the documentation
-for their chosen newsreader - rn or whatever.  You can learn a lot.

I did, but *boy* was it long!  I'd like to get a hardcopy so I can study it
periodically without having to telnet over to the news machine (which is
down alot lately) and paging through man rn.  Is there a way to print the
man page off?  (I asked this on CIS, but I didn't really understand the
answers back then.  Maybe I'll understand them better now :-))

Michael J. Hammel   | UUCP(preferred): ...!cs.utexas.edu!dell!Kepler!mjhammel
Dell Computer Corp. | Also: ...!dell!mikeh  or 73377.3467@compuserve.com
Austin, TX	    | Phone: 512-338-4400 ext 7169
"I know engineers, they looooove to change things" L. McCoy
Disclaimer: These are my views, not those of my employers. So there.

jsdy@dtix.dt.navy.mil (Joseph S. D. Yao) (09/14/89)

In article <3017@dell.dell.com> mikeh@dell.UUCP (Mike Hammel, ) writes:
>					  ...  Is there a way to print the
>man page off?

On a typical machine, manual entries* are stored under directory
/usr/man/.  If you have an old Unix(R) system or a modern BSD-ische
system, manual entries will be stored under /usr/man/manX/topic.Xxxx,
where X is the section of the original Unix manual, "topic" is the
topic (program, subr, or whatever), and xxx is whatever somebody
thought would be cute as a subsection of the Unix manual section.  On
System III - System V-based systems, these entries are stored under
/usr/man/?_man/manX/topic.Xxxx, where ? is one of 'u' (Users' Manual),
'p' (Programmers' Manual), or 'a' (Administrators' Manual).

Manual entries are stored in these places in nroff/troff format.  This
is a text processor format in which formatting commands are inserted in
lines before what they are to affect.  It is universal to Unix machines
(except where vendors try to milk you for more money).  The 'man'
command typically calls 'nroff -man {filename}' to generate the text
that you see.  You can do the same, piping it to your print command
(lp, lpr, or whatever):
	nroff -man {filename} | {print command}
BUT ...

There's a short-cut that 'man' uses on most recent (since 1980 or so)
systems.  The already-formatted copies are stored in separate direct-
ories.  On BSD-ische machines, this is /usr/man/catX.  On System III++,
it is /usr/catman/?_man/manX.  Since the text formatting programs take
a lot of real and CPU time to run, you might check whether the manual
entry already exists in formatted form, and then print that file
directly.

Word of warning: the formatted form may contain some odd control codes
that are supposed to do clever things on specific types of printers.
Check with your system administrator whether there is a specific device
type name you need to give to 'nroff', or (better yet) whether your
printer should be run with 'troff' (or the shells that call 'troff',
such as 'xroff', 'psroff', etc.) to get truly typeset-quality output.
If not, then you should print a couple of shorter manual entries - or
even find whether there are still any manual "pages" to print - and
check them for odd happenings before printing the formatter output.  If
there's anything with which you can't live, you'll have to copy the
file into your home directory, and edit it to remove control codes (and
make sure all pages are then the length of your printer page -
typically 66 lines) before printing it.

Have fun.  But in moderation.  I lost my first Unix account and some of
the system staff's trust when I printed out the entire Unix manual at
the end of the semester.  (But, then, that was only Version 5 or 6 -
and you could do that with much less paper.)

Joe Yao
Hadron, Inc.
courtesy David Taylor Research Center

* They're much longer than a page, typically; why call them manual
  pages?

(R) Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories.

PS Sorry about the length ... you wonder why I don't respond so much
   any more?