[news.newusers.questions] getting hardcopy

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (08/30/89)

Humanoid mikeh@dell.UUCP (Mike Hammel, ) writes:
>I'd like to get a hardcopy so I can study it
>periodically without having to telnet over to the news machine (which is
>down alot lately) and paging through man rn.  Is there a way to print the
>man page off?

"How to print" has to be the most often customized activity on UNIX
systems.  I could tell you how to get a hardcopy of a man page here at
BBN.  But it's guaranteed not to work anywhere else.  This is the kind
of question to which the best answer is: Ask your system manager.

Wayne();

asanders@adobe.COM (Alan Sanders) (09/05/89)

On my sun 3/50, the UNIX command "| enscript" prints the current article
on the default printer.

Alan

chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Chip Rosenthal) (09/06/89)

In article <1146@adobe.UUCP> asanders@adobe.COM (Alan Sanders) writes:
>On my sun 3/50, the UNIX command "| enscript" prints the current article
>on the default printer.

On my Kim I, the keyboard command "go 8800" saves the current article
to cassette tape.
--
Chip Rosenthal / chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337
Someday the whole country will be one big "Metroplex" - Zippy's friend Griffy

davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) (09/12/89)

(ok...it's an oldish topic...but I've just restarted reading this group...)

Note:  This information is for "rn" readers.

If you hit | while reading an article, rn will send the message through
the pipe.  Thus, on my system, I use "| lp" to send an article to the printer,
or "| mail jonl" to mail an article to jonl.

Hope this helps.

--
     David Bedno, Systems Administrator, The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
   Email: davidbe@sco.COM / ..!{uunet,sun,ucbvax!ucscc,gorn}!sco!davidbe

            "Your reality is lies and balderdash, and I'm glad to
             say that I have no grasp of it."  - Baron Munchausen

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (09/14/89)

In article <1146@adobe.UUCP>, asanders@adobe (Alan Sanders) writes:

>On my sun 3/50, the UNIX command "| enscript" prints the current article
>on the default printer.

Another useful public domain filter is "mp", which has
special modes for mail, news, etc.

It is only for postscript printers. Use "|mp -n |lpr".

Amaze your friends!

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crd.ge.com>   uunet!crdgw1!barnett