[news.newusers.questions] Post a message but hide local users from seeing it. How?

esker@abaa.uucp (Lawrence Esker) (09/13/89)

[Eat away]

Well it bit me.  I posted to a newsgroup that I wanted seen outside of my
current local, but would have prefered keeping it quiet at my job.  But it
has now spread like wild fire rumours.

Question!  How can you post a message but not let the local server show it
to others on the server.  The only way I know is to post, wait a day for it to
propagate, cancel the original message locally.  This leaves a hole of a day
for local users to see it and I don't know if the server, when it calls for
downloads will see (the originally cancelled) message on the host and
download it.  This would then undo a cancelled message locally.

Also, will a cancel request be sent up the line eventually cancelling the
previously propagated message at other locals.  This is very important that
I know about soon, before I try this trick again.

Any comments.  Pleas email (or post if of net usefulness).
--
---------- Lawrence W. Esker ----------  Modern Amish: Thou shalt not need any
                                         computer that is not IBM compatible.

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (09/14/89)

In article <2785@abaa.UUCP> esker@abaa.UUCP (Lawrence Esker) writes:
>Question!  How can you post a message but not let the local server show it
>to others on the server.

There is *NO WAY* to do this.  You don't post to the net; you
post to a machine, that in turn propagates selected articles to
others.  This is the same reason you can't post to a distribution
you can't receive.  While you can post from another machine (or
mail it for posting from another machine), it will most likely
turn up at your site fairly quickly.

>[about cancels]

Cancels are themselves articles.  Contriving a "local" cancel
probably won't do anything useful, and if your site "monitors"
locally-posted articles, even a worldwide cancel won't stop "the
wrong people" from seeing the article.

>UseNet Path: __!mailrus!sharkey!itivax!abaa!esker  ==  esker@abaa.UUCP

That's a UUCP path.  Individuals DO NOT have USENET paths.

					-=EPS=-

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (09/14/89)

What if you could somehow post something that went everywhere but
your local site?

- Nothing prevents someone from quoting your article and your
  comments would come back to haunt you, most likely out of
  context.

- Nothing prevents people at your company from calling a Public
  Access site.  (Lots of people who get technical groups at work
  depend on systems like this for alt, for instance.)

USENET gets information to a large number of people in a short
amount of time.  Secrecy is not its intent!

					-=EPS=-

ronald@ibmpcug.co.uk (Ronald Khoo) (09/16/89)

In article <542@wet.UUCP> epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>In article <2785@abaa.UUCP> esker@abaa.UUCP (Lawrence Esker) writes:
>>Question!  How can you post a message but not let the local server show it
>>to others on the server.
>
>There is *NO WAY* to do this.

Oh? how about:
	1) Post a dummy message on the local machine.
	2) Note its message-ID
	3) Post the *real* message somewhere else with the SAME
	   message-ID

I'm not too familiar with most of the mail->news gateways like ucbvax,
but they *should* respect your message-ID and not replace it with
their own.  Anyone got firm info on this ?  Because if this is the case,
NO PROBLEM :-)
--
Ronald.Khoo@ibmpcug.CO.UK (The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360, Harrow HA1 4LQ)
$Header: /users/ronald/.signature,v 1.1 89/09/03 23:36:16 ronald Exp $ :-)