[news.newusers.questions] Long dead subjects, was

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (09/08/89)

In article <1989Sep6.115246.17066@gec-mi-at.co.uk> clark@gec-mi-at.co.uk (Peter Clark) writes:
>In article <18950@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>><deleted>
>
>This I find unneccessary, downright rude, and definately not fit
>for public consumption.

Yup, that sounds like my stuff alright.

>I refrain, with difficulty, from further comment.

Obviously you refrain with difficulty, it took you damn near a month
to do this refraining.

Todays lesson, newusers: 1) Check out the rest of the clump of messages
before you respond. 2) Don't bother responding to a message thats about
a month old. Chances are somebody has already said what you were going to
say.

And todays homework assignment: why is it bad form to POST a message
telling somebody to MAIL something rather than POST it ?

KLANG KLANG KLANG

<recess>

--
          ``Perpetual Savings and Loan is closed''  --  L.A. Times
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

gcf@althea.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) (09/09/89)

In article <19611@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
)In article <1989Sep6.115246.17066@gec-mi-at.co.uk> clark@gec-mi-at.co.uk (Peter Clark) writes:
)>In article <18950@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
)>><deleted>
)>
)
)Yup, that sounds like my stuff alright.
)
)>I refrain, with difficulty, from further comment.
)
)Obviously you refrain with difficulty, it took you damn near a month
)to do this refraining.
)
)Todays lesson, newusers: 1) Check out the rest of the clump of messages
)before you respond. 2) Don't bother responding to a message thats about
)a month old. Chances are somebody has already said what you were going to
)say.

Don't you feel that a news article improves with age?  When they're
fresh they're so, well, shallow and flighty -- but after they've
been around for two or three weeks, and have attracted flies and
followups, _then_ they become more, well, _interesting_.

Some news sites help us out with this.  By the time you see
something, the message is already well on its way to the bloom
of maturity.

And by the way, if you miss that peak of perfection and the article
drops off the edge of the universe, don't worry, it'll be back
again.  Every issue rises from the dead about once every six months,
and you can use your old articles all over again.  By the way,
how's poor David doing?
Gordon Fitch * gcf@althea || ...uunet!jyacc!mydog!gcf

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (09/10/89)

In article <19611@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>And todays homework assignment: why is it bad form to POST a message
>telling somebody to MAIL something rather than POST it ?

Do tell us, because it's often quite appropriate!

					-=EPS=-
P.S. teacher says we use apostrophes in our possessives

mraustad@infocenter.UUCP (Mike Raustad) (09/15/89)

In article <19611@gryphon.COM>, richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> Todays lesson, newusers: 1) Check out the rest of the clump of messages
> before you respond. 2) Don't bother responding to a message thats about
> a month old. Chances are somebody has already said what you were going to
> say.

     And just who made you the school teacher?  Richard, you've got a lot
 more learning to do before you are qualified to teach here.  I don't care
 what everyone else has said, I still want everyone to know that I think
 you are a jerk, thus, another posting.  You've reserected this thread with
 your additional waste of bandwidth.  You should have let it be.

> And todays homework assignment: why is it bad form to POST a message
> telling somebody to MAIL something rather than POST it ?

    I wonder if you will ever learn.

 ---
 Encore Computer Corp. 6901 W. Sunrise Blvd, Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. 33313
 email:  uunet!gould!mraustad    Phone: (305)-797-5621

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (09/16/89)

Without defending Sexton per se, I would point out that this newsgroup
actually *is* a place to play "school teacher" if you know how things
work.  Pleasant followups are more effective teaching tools than caustic
flames; some crusty veterans might keep this in mind.  Errant newbies
are often blasted elsewhere; it would be nice if this newsgroup were a
more civil alternative.
--
                                    \\\
'We have luck only with women --   *-((O    Tom Neff

scott@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Scott Reynolds) (09/16/89)

mraustad@infocenter.UUCP (Mike Raustad) writes:

> [exceedingly gross and inappropriate flame deleted]

Too bad most new users don't know how to use kill files, yet.  I'd hate to
see it happen but I'm beginning to agree with those that would like to have
this group moderated.
--
Scott Reynolds				rutgers!mailrus!clip!clmqt!scott
Enterprise Information System		scott@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US

bondc@spdcc.COM (Clay Bond) (09/16/89)

In article <3927@infocenter.UUCP> mraustad@infocenter.UUCP (Mike Raustad) writes:

>     And just who made you the school teacher?  Richard, you've got a lot
> more learning to do before you are qualified to teach here.  I don't care

Oh, hohohohoho!  You're out of your league, child.

>    I wonder if you will ever learn.

At least you're good for a few laughs.

Fool.

--
"Pardon me, My Father's Son, but could you pass me
 a few pages of the Talmud?"

allen@sulaco.Sigma.COM (Allen Gwinn) (09/17/89)

In article <3927@infocenter.UUCP> mraustad@infocenter.UUCP (Mike Raustad) writes:

 [mindless drivel... the caliber of which I haven't seen in a while]

>> And todays homework assignment: why is it bad form to POST a message
>> telling somebody to MAIL something rather than POST it ?

>    I wonder if you will ever learn.

Lets see... the guy's a mindless asshole and he misses points completely.
I wonder if he wets his bed at night...