[news.newusers.questions] Not adding new newsgroups to .newsrc

wdstarr@eddie.mit.edu (William December Starr) (09/22/89)

TSM (The Sacred Manual) says this about RN:

   Upon startup, RN will do several things:
   :
   :
   4. RN will check to see if any new newsgroups have been created,
      and give you the opportunity to add them to your .newsrc.

Yup, it sure does.  Unfortunately, for reasons I can't even begin to
imagine, every now and then the news system here at MIT gets amnesia
and forgets that a whole bunch -- about forty or fifty -- of
newsgroups are old hat and treats them as if they were newly invented.

This results in me (and, I assume, everybody else) being greeted by RN
with the litany of:

   Newsgroup foo.man.chu not in .newsrc--add? [yn]

for a seemingly interminable list of "new" newsgroups that I've
already rejected several times.  Entering an "h" (for help) only gets
me:

   Type y or SP to add foo.man.chu to your .newsrc.
   Type n to forget about this newsgroup.

when what I want is info on how to do a super-no and tell RN to forget
about *all* the new newsgroups in one swell foop.

The most recent time this avalanche of "new" newsgroups hit me, I gave
up and added all of them; then I edited my .newsrc so as to
"unsubscribe" from all of them.  I hope that this will spare me any
future aggravation, as the next time my system gets amnesia, all
the annoying newsgroups *will already be* in my .newsrc.

Still, that's a pretty clumsy and kludgey solution to the problem.  Is
there any RN command or command line option or environment variable
setting or something that will instruct RN not to bother me about new
newsgroups?
--
William December Starr, Official MIT Dropout (tm), Class of '79
Use this address! ---> athena!charon.local!wdstarr@eddie.mit.edu