[news.newusers.questions] Cancelling Post

re4@prism.gatech.EDU (RUSSELL EARNEST) (09/19/89)

Ok - Here's what I did. How can I fix it now. (I have RTFM but I may have mis-
sed something)

I posted an article and when i read it I realized it was messed up. Instead of
doing a "C" to cancel, as I now know I should have, I exited thinking I could
"unpost" using postnews.

Realizing that mistake, I went back to "rn" to pull up the article by number
and do the proper cancel but since all articles in the group were read, I
couldn't get into the group. What do I do at that point?

Also, since I've already read the article, will I be able to pull it up by
number once I get into the group?

When helping with this problem, please flame me good so that others will learn
from my brazen irresponsibility.

--
"There's no such thing as a free lunch, but you can get 2 for 1 with a coupon."
 - RUSSELL EARNEST     Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (09/20/89)

In article <1918@hydra.gatech.EDU> re4@prism.gatech.EDU (RUSSELL EARNEST) writes:
>I posted an article and when i read it I realized it was messed up. Instead of
>doing a "C" to cancel, as I now know I should have, I exited thinking I could
>"unpost" using postnews.
>
>Realizing that mistake, I went back to "rn" to pull up the article by number
>and do the proper cancel but since all articles in the group were read, I
>couldn't get into the group. What do I do at that point?

To cancel an article you've already read (assume you posted it to newsgroup
rec.blah), invoke RN and do this:

	1. Type "o blah" or "g rec.blah" to open the group.  If you have
	   already read everything in the group, this will position you at
	   "End of newsgroup rec.blah" but give you an article prompt.
	   This is documented on RN manual pages 3 and 4.

	2. To find your most recently posted article, type

		?From: re4?rh

	   and hit Enter.  Rn will backtrack and display your article
	   if it has been posted to the spool directory.  This is
	   documented on RN man page 8.

	3. Then hit "C" to cancel the article.  This is documented
	   on RN manual page 10.

--
'We have luck only with women --    \\\     Tom Neff
          not spacecraft!'         *-((O    tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

markw@gvlf1-c.gvl.unisys.com (Mark H. Weber) (09/20/89)

In article <1918@hydra.gatech.EDU> re4@prism.gatech.EDU (RUSSELL EARNEST) writes:

>I went back to "rn" to pull up the article by number
>and do the proper cancel but since all articles in the group were read, I
>couldn't get into the group. What do I do at that point?

Use the 'g' command to go to the group. rn will say "0 unread articles",
but hit 'y' anyway. You can then use 'P' (capital P) to step backwards
and 'N' to step forwards through the already read articles.

r4@cbnews.ATT.COM (richard.r.grady..jr) (09/20/89)

In article <1918@hydra.gatech.EDU> re4@prism.gatech.EDU (RUSSELL EARNEST) writes:
>Ok - Here's what I did. How can I fix it now. (I have RTFM but I may have mis-
>sed something)
>
>I posted an article and when i read it I realized it was messed up. Instead of
>doing a "C" to cancel, as I now know I should have, I exited thinking I could
>"unpost" using postnews.
>
>Realizing that mistake, I went back to "rn" to pull up the article by number
>and do the proper cancel but since all articles in the group were read, I
>couldn't get into the group. What do I do at that point?

At the newsgroup-selection-level prompt, issue the command "g" followed by
the full name of the newsgroup.  For example, if the group had the name
"abc.xyz", then you type
      gabc.xyz<CR>
where <CR> is a carriage return.  You will get the line:
      *******   0 unread articles in abc.xyz   Read now? [ynq]
Press <space>, indicating yes.  You will get the response:
      End of newsgroup abc.xyz
      What next? [qnp]

>Also, since I've already read the article, will I be able to pull it up by
>number once I get into the group?

If you know the number of you article, enter it now.
If not, search for it with
      ?some-text-in-the-subject-line?r
The trailing "r" specifies already-read articles.

>When helping with this problem, please flame me good so that others will learn
>from my brazen irresponsibility.

I assume that you forgot the smiley on the last statement!
Seriously, Russell, there is no reason to flame you.
You asked a legitimate question, and it deserves a legitimate answer.
This newsgroup is intended for new users to ask questions, and to get an
answer, not to get their heads burnt off.
Flaming should not be tolerated in this group.
--
Dick Grady              r_r_grady@att.com          ...!att!mvuxd!r4

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (09/21/89)

re4@prism.gatech.EDU (RUSSELL EARNEST) wrote:

> I posted an article and when i read it I realized it was messed up. Instead
> of doing a "C" to cancel, as I now know I should have, I exited thinking I
> could "unpost" using postnews.
> Realizing that mistake, I went back to "rn" to pull up the article by number
> and do the proper cancel but since all articles in the group were read, I
> couldn't get into the group. What do I do at that point?

As I said in my previous article on this, people can't count on cancellation
working everywhere.  Some of us have no option but to be careful.

> Also, since I've already read the article, will I be able to pull it up by
> number once I get into the group?

What I do in situations like this is look in the spool directories; here,
your article is the file /usr/spool/news/news/newusers/questions/107 (use
"egrep" or something similar).  Having found it, edit your .newsrc file to
fool "rn" into believing you haven't read it; i.e. I'd change the line
	news.newusers.questions: 1-110
to read
	news.newusers.questions: 1-106,108-110

(The article number will be different at every site and not everyone will
use /usr/spool/news as the news spool directory).  This isn't the most
efficient way to do it, but knowing the location and format of the raw data
used by "rn" saves you keeping the whole damn manual in your head.
--
Jack Campin  *  Computing Science Department, Glasgow University, 17 Lilybank
Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, SCOTLAND.    041 339 8855 x6045 wk  041 556 1878 ho

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (09/23/89)

In article <3453@midway.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) writes:
: [One particularly round-the-barn way of being able to reread an article.]

Try commands like P, to get the previous article; N, to get the next
article, and m, to mark the current article as unread. These don't
care if the article has been read or not.

Moreoever, there are commands to search already read articles. And
typing in any article number will bring up that article, even if read.

So, if you have an article number, type g<newsgroup name> and then
type .<article number>, then type m. The article is now yours for
processing, just as if you had never read it.

Or, use the various commands that don't care if you have read the
article. Or....

RTFM

---
bill@twwells.com

jwm@stdc.jhuapl.edu (Jim Meritt) (09/23/89)

In article <331@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM> markw@gvlf1-c.UUCP (Mark H. Weber) writes:
}In article <1918@hydra.gatech.EDU> re4@prism.gatech.EDU (RUSSELL EARNEST) writes:
}>I went back to "rn" to pull up the article by number
}>and do the proper cancel but since all articles in the group were read, I
}>couldn't get into the group. What do I do at that point?
}>
}
}Use the 'g' command to go to the group. rn will say "0 unread articles",
}but hit 'y' anyway. You can then use 'P' (capital P) to step backwards
}and 'N' to step forwards through the already read articles.

Once you are in the group, you could use:

?From: re4@prism?rh

To take you back (?) to to last article from you (from: you) already read (r)
with your name in the header (h).  Simple.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how
 hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."             - Calvin
jwm@aplvax.jhuapl.edu,jwm@aplvax.uucp,meritt%aplvm.BITNET,jwm@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu