[news.newusers.questions] Compuserve -> Usenet

gints@NCoast.ORG (Steve Juhasz) (09/24/89)

>From CompuServe: a CompuServe user can write to us in the form
>>INTERNET:user@site.domain or >INTERNET:forwarder!site!user.  The word
>>INTERNET: is used even for sites that are not on the Internet proper.
>The greater-than sign and the colon are required, but a space may be
>inserted after the colon.

Can this be used to send files from Compuserve to another usersite for later
downloading (i.e. save on Compuserve connect time)?

			-Steve

Steve Juhasz
gints@ncoast.org

dattier@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (David W. Tamkin) (09/25/89)

Steve Juhasz wrote in <1989Sep24.005426.7882@NCoast.ORG> in
news.newusers.questions in follow-up to my <1580@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US>:

DWT> From CompuServe: a CompuServe user can write to us in the form
DWT> >INTERNET:user@site.domain or >INTERNET:forwarder!site!user.  The word
DWT> >INTERNET: is used even for sites that are not on the Internet proper.
DWT> The greater-than sign and the colon are required, but a space may be
DWT> inserted after the colon.

S J> Can this be used to send files from Compuserve to another usersite for
S J> later downloading (i.e. save on Compuserve connect time)?

Only to the extent that files on CompuServe can be sent in mail at all.
Moreover, mail over the net is only for text, so if the file contains binary
data it will not arrive intact unless you are proficient enough with CIS to
get a uuencoding program into your personal area.

David Tamkin   dattier@jolnet.orpk.il.us  {attctc,netsys,ddsw1}!jolnet!dattier
P. O. Box 813  Rosemont, Illinois  60018-0813   (312) 693-0591  (708) 518-6769
BIX: dattier                   GEnie: D.W.TAMKIN               CIS: 73720,1570
Jolnet is a public access system, where every user expresses personal opinions.

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (09/25/89)

In article <1597@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> dattier@jolnet.UUCP (David W. Tamkin) writes:
>Moreover, mail over the net is only for text, so if the file contains binary
>data it will not arrive intact unless you are proficient enough with CIS to
>get a uuencoding program into your personal area.

It's not strictly necessary to perform the uudecode on CIS itself in order
for mailing uuencoded stuff to CIS to be useful.  If you wanted to mail
a binary file to someone who has a CIS account and can run uudecode on
his office or home computer, then you could uuencode the file and mail that
text to his CIS account, from which he downloads it to his machine and
uudecodes it there.

As long as you stay under 50k this works well, I have done it a couple
of times.
--
I'm a Leo.  Leos don't believe    *  *  *     Tom Neff
    in this astrology stuff.        *  *  *   tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET