[news.newusers.questions] RTFM, UNIX and other weighty matters

lo@cme.nbs.gov (Jane Lo) (09/29/89)

In article <63389@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, lum@armadillo.cis.ohio-state.edu (Lum Johnson) writes:
> In article <1620@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US> toth@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Joseph G. Toth Jr.) writes:
> >
> >By the way, what does UNIX stand for?? ...
>
> Seriously, though, "UNIX" is simply a pun on "MULTICS".....
>
> >Maybe we need a new newsgroup 'alt.acronym'

Pick up a copy of "Life With UNIX" by Don Libes and Sandy Ressler
(Prentice-Hall).  Not only does it describe all these abbreviations,
but it has all the great UNIX stories that one ought to know to be
considered culturally literate on Usenet.

In fact, I think about 90% of the discussion in this group could be
answered by referring to that book.

Jane Lo