[news.newusers.questions] posting with rn

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (09/30/89)

Is there a way to use rn to post an original message, instead of using
postnews?  I like its behavior when following up better than postnews,
and would like to use it when posting original articles.  -David-

--
Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (09/30/89)

In <925@wubios.wustl.edu> david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) writes:
DJC> Is there a way to use rn to post an original message, instead of using
DJC> postnews?  I like its behavior when following up better than postnews,
DJC> and would like to use it when posting original articles.  -David-

Please read the postings in news.announce.newusers, which hopefully
should still be around at your site.  Pay special notice to the
suggestion that you should read a group for at least a couple of days
before posting to it, or check the last bunch of articles to see
whether you want to bring up has already been discussed.

For this particular question it has been discussed on several
occasions and was most recently addressed in <247@dsi.COM>, which I
found only thirteen articles before this one in news.newsusers.questions.
To find that article, you can do ?<247@dsi.COM>?hr.  One thing the
article did not mention was that if the group does have articles in it
then you can reach the end of it by typing "$" at the article prompt
level or ".$" at the group prompt level; "f" there will then begin an
original posting.

This question comes up so frequently that I think it is time to write
Larry Wall a message to see whether he can put the answer to it in a
more prominent place in rn's help facilities in the future.

--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (10/01/89)

In article <925@wubios.wustl.edu> david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) writes:
#Is there a way to use rn to post an original message, instead of using
#postnews?  I like its behavior when following up better than postnews,
#and would like to use it when posting original articles.  -David-

Yes, just followup in the usual way, (f), but edit the Subject: line, and of
course remove the References: lines and any old keywords, summary etc.

If you have completely read the group you want to post in, you can still
use f, and in this case you won't even have to delete the old refs etc as
there won't be any - in fact that's a lot safer if you are not happy editing
header lines -- and please do NOT edit header lines if you are not sure what
they mean!

ralph@nastassia.laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (10/02/89)

In article <925@wubios.wustl.edu> david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) writes:
|  Is there a way to use rn to post an original message, instead of using
|  postnews?  I like its behavior when following up better than postnews,
|  and would like to use it when posting original articles.  -David-

I created the simple rm macro:  "@p !Pnews %C" which posts to the
current newsgroup.  Just add it to your .rnmac (or whatever) file.

Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.laas.fr			   Addresses are ordered by importance.
ralph@laas.uucp, or ...!uunet!mcvax!laas!ralph		If all else fails, try:
SOBEK@FRMOP11.BITNET				      sobek@eclair.Berkeley.EDU
Upon the instruments of death the sunlight brightly gleams.   --   King Crimson