[news.newusers.questions] Abbreviation: RTFM

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (09/10/89)

In article <527@wet.UUCP> epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>[Above description for B2.11.14/B2.11.17 w/o NNTP.  Users with
>other news transports should check with someone knowledgeable, or
>RTFM.]
 ^^^^

Does this mean what I think it means, like "Read The F***ing Manual"? I
see it (or RYFM, Y = Your) often in sentences like this.
--
Don't forget: 600 times the daily oral human intake of Sacharin injected
directly into the bloodstream of a lab rat might cause it bladder cancer.

avery@well.UUCP (Avery Ray Colter) (09/11/89)

You are most certainly correct as to the meaning of RFTM.

--
Avery Ray Colter    avery@well.sf.ca.us   71067.606@compuserve.com
{apple,lamc,lll-winken,cogsci,hplabs,pacbell}!well!avery

mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant) (09/11/89)

From article <1989Sep9.195704.21367@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, by wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes):
>>RTFM.]
>  ^^^^
>
> Does this mean what I think it means, like "Read The F***ing Manual"? ...

Things like that with F in them usually have a U. S. Army origin.
However, if that particular thing had an Army origin it could easily
mean "Read The Field Manual."  Can somebody who was there verify that?

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201) 949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	att!hounx!marty1 or marty1@hounx.ATT.COM

Disclaimer: Opinions stated herein are mine unless and until my employer
	    explicitly claims them; then I lose all rights to them.

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (09/12/89)

In article <3775@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant) writes:
|From article <1989Sep9.195704.21367@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, by wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes):
|>>RTFM.]
|>  ^^^^
|>
|> Does this mean what I think it means, like "Read The F***ing Manual"? ...
|
|Things like that with F in them usually have a U. S. Army origin.
|However, if that particular thing had an Army origin it could easily
|mean "Read The Field Manual."  Can somebody who was there verify that?

	It means "Read The F*cking Manual". This is more
	recent than FUBAR or TARFU, which are WWII acronyms,
	and it incorporates a different approach to things.
	RTFM has been with us since the 70's, or perhaps
	the late 60's. Note the time correspondence with
	the use of computers 8^)...

Cheers,
--
  \__/	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \@@/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

d88-sli@nada.kth.se (Stefan Lindmark) (09/13/89)

In article <865@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
|In article <3775@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant) writes:
||From article <1989Sep9.195704.21367@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, by wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes):
||>  ^^^^
||>
||> Does this mean what I think it means, like "Read The F***ing Manual"? ...
||Things like that with F in them usually have a U. S. Army origin.
||However, if that particular thing had an Army origin it could easily
||mean "Read The Field Manual."  Can somebody who was there verify that?
|

|	It means "Read The F*cking Manual". This is more
|	recent than FUBAR or TARFU, which are WWII acronyms,
|	and it incorporates a different approach to things.
|	RTFM has been with us since the 70's, or perhaps
|	the late 60's. Note the time correspondence with
|	the use of computers 8^)...

For those of you who does not like the idea of washing your mouth with
soap, here's a rather polite interpretation: Read The Fine Manual.

--
Stefan Lindmark  Email: d88-sli@nada.kth.se  Snail-mail: Don't even bother...
If everybody helped one newuser today, the world would look a bit happier.

dune@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Greg Pasquariello) (09/13/89)

In article <865@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
:
:
:	It means "Read The F*cking Manual". This is more
:	recent than FUBAR or TARFU, which are WWII acronyms,
:  \__/	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.

Ok, what does TARFU mean?  And while were on the subject, what does IMHO
mean?

Greg Pasquariello
att!picuxa!gpasq

d88-sli@nada.kth.se (Stefan Lindmark) (09/14/89)

In article <1854@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> dune@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Greg Pasquariello) writes:
>Ok, what does TARFU mean?  And while were on the subject, what does IMHO
>mean?

IMHO=In My Honest Opinion  (Took a while for me too to figure out...)

--
Stefan Lindmark  Email: d88-sli@nada.kth.se  Snail-mail: Don't even bother...
If everybody helped one newuser today, the world would look a bit happier.

avery@well.UUCP (Avery Ray Colter) (09/14/89)

There is no consensus as far as I can tell as to what the F means. There is
no official word on it. It could mean "fun", "fat", "fickle", "furious" or
whatever you like.

--
Avery Ray Colter    avery@well.sf.ca.us   71067.606@compuserve.com
{apple,lamc,lll-winken,cogsci,hplabs,pacbell}!well!avery
3343 Grand Avenue; Oakland, CA 94610; (415) 451-7786

briang@bari.Sun.COM (Brian Gordon) (09/14/89)

In article <1643@draken.nada.kth.se> d88-sli@nada.kth.se (Stefan Lindmark) writes:
>In article <1854@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> dune@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Greg Pasquariello) writes:
>>Ok, what does TARFU mean?  And while were on the subject, what does IMHO
>>mean?
>
>IMHO=In My Honest Opinion  (Took a while for me too to figure out...)

1) But you got it wrong ...

2) According to the article "Answers to Frequently Asked Questions (Updated:
   3  Sep 1989)", a version of which EVERY new user is expected to have read in
   news.announce.newusers, it is "In My Humble Opinion".

3) Clearly TARFU is a member of the SNAFU family, but I don't recall which one.
   My favorite is still JANFU -- Joint Army Navy ...

wbt@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (09/14/89)

In article <1854@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> dune@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Greg Pasquariello) writes:
>In article <865@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
>:
>:
>:	It means "Read The F*cking Manual". This is more
>:	recent than FUBAR or TARFU, which are WWII acronyms,
>
>Ok, what does TARFU mean?  And while were on the subject, what does IMHO
>mean?

The Army had an entire compilation of these pseudo-situation reports.
In  all of them, the FU stands for "fouled up" (if you're telling your
girlfriend), or "fu*ked up" if you're talking to your buddies.

The most famous is SNAFU: Situation Normal, All FU.   Others (I've
seen at least a half-dozen) included FUBAR (FU Beyone All Repair)
and TARFU (Things Are Really FU).

IMHO is "In My [Humble, Honest] Opinion".  Some posters just use IMO.

And, BTW, BTW stands for "By The Way", while WRT is "With Respect To"

This allows some really wonderful phraseology;

"BTW, WRT SNAFU; IMHO FUBAR is better.   :-)"

Show *that* line to your English teacher... 8-)

- - - - - - - - valuable coupon - - - - - - - clip and save - - - - - - - -
Bill Thacker						wbt@cbnews.att.com
   "C" combines the power of assembly language with the flexibility of
   assembly language.

jinara@bucsb.UUCP (jinara d reyes) (09/15/89)

>In article <1854@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> dune@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Greg Pasquariello) writes:
>>Ok, what does TARFU mean?  And while were on the subject, what does IMHO
>>mean?
>
>IMHO=In My Honest Opinion  (Took a while for me too to figure out...)

I thought it was "in my humble opinion"....oh well, it doesn't really
matter...

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (09/15/89)

In article <9542@cbnews.ATT.COM> wbt@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker,00440,cb,1D211,6148604019) writes:
>"BTW, WRT SNAFU; IMHO FUBAR is better.   :-)"

There was a memo which circulated around here back in 1981.  I quote it
in its entirety:

Date May 15, 1981
To: Distribution
From: W. S. Nechodom
Subject: Plea for Help (PFH)

Writing in acronyms (WIA) seems to confuse rather than enlighten me
(CRTEM).  I keep having to page back (PB) in order to remember what the
acronym (A) stands for (SF).

Please avoid WIA so that you don't CTREM unless you are deliberately
trying to CRTEM so that I won't find out what the ASF even if I PB.

					T (Thanks)

					W (Warren)

>- - - - - - - - valuable coupon - - - - - - - clip and save - - - - - - - -
>Bill Thacker						wbt@cbnews.att.com
>   "C" combines the power of assembly language with the flexibility of
>   assembly language.

OK, I saved it.  Now what do I do with it?

--
Geoff Allen - WINCO Computer Process Engineering
...{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff

frank@zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) (09/15/89)

In article <1643@draken.nada.kth.se> d88-sli@nada.kth.se (Stefan Lindmark) writes:
>In article <1854@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> dune@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Greg Pasquariello) writes:
>>Ok, what does TARFU mean?  And while were on the subject, what does IMHO
>>mean?
>
>IMHO=In My Honest Opinion  (Took a while for me too to figure out...)

I've always read it as "in my humble opinion."
--
Frank Wales, Systems Manager,        [frank@zen.co.uk<->mcvax!zen.co.uk!frank]
Zengrange Ltd., Greenfield Rd., Leeds, ENGLAND, LS9 8DB. (+44) 532 489048 x217

mike@cochise (09/16/89)

d88-sli@nada.kth.se (Stefan Lindmark) writes:

->In article <865@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
->|In article <3775@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant) writes:
->||From article <1989Sep9.195704.21367@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, by wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes):
->||>>RTFM.]
->||>  ^^^^
->||>
->||> Does this mean what I think it means, like "Read The F***ing Manual"? ...
->||
[...]
->|
[...]
->For those of you who does not like the idea of washing your mouth with
->soap, here's a rather polite interpretation: Read The Fine Manual.

how about 'Read the friendly manual' ?-)

--
Mike Schroeder		PCS-Mail: msc
DOMAIN:  msc@cochise.pcs.de (EUR) or  msc@cochise.pcs.com  (US)

frank@zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) (09/19/89)

In article <9542@cbnews.ATT.COM> wbt@cbnews.ATT.COM
 (William B. Thacker,00440,cb,1D211,6148604019) writes:
>"BTW, WRT SNAFU; IMHO FUBAR is better.   :-)"

Some friendly advice from ITMA: NCYWWASBE.
(Never clean your windows with a soft-boiled egg.)  TTFN!
--

and@servax0.essex.ac.uk (Holyer A) (09/25/89)

In article <1710@zen.co.uk> paola@zen.co.uk (Paola Kathuria) writes:
>Here's my question for the week:  How comes IMP means `Packet Switching
>Node' (as mentioned in another article)?

And while we're at it, I know what a DELNI and a DEQNA are (is? are? dunno),
but does anyone know offhand what they stand for?

pkatz@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk (Philip Katz) (09/26/89)

From article <1812@servax0.essex.ac.uk>, by and@servax0.essex.ac.uk (Holyer A):
> And while we're at it, I know what a DELNI and a DEQNA are (is? are? dunno),
> but does anyone know offhand what they stand for?

Yep. `DEc Local Network Interface' and `DEc Q-bus Network Adaptor'. Most of
the DEC things are quite easy to remember once you know what they stand for
(a bit like UNIX, ins't it, `cp' and `pwd' and all that).

Philip Katz,                            :|:  PKatz@axion.bt.co.uk
British Telecom Research Laboratories,  :|:  + 44 473 642682
RT3141, Martlesham Heath,               :|:  "Beat on the Brat ...
Ipswich, Suffolk, England IP5 7RE       :|:    ... with a Baseball bat"

toth@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Joseph G. Toth Jr.) (09/27/89)

In article <2652@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk>, pkatz@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk (Philip Katz) writes:
> From article <1812@servax0.essex.ac.uk>, by and@servax0.essex.ac.uk (Holyer A):
> > And while we're at it, I know what a DELNI and a DEQNA are (is? are? dunno),
> > but does anyone know offhand what they stand for?
>
> Yep. `DEc Local Network Interface' and `DEc Q-bus Network Adaptor'. Most of
        ^^^                               ^^^
close but no cigar;  the DE stands for Digital Equipment,
as in Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC, the C should always be in caps).
(but then maybe I'm just too picky)

> the DEC things are quite easy to remember once you know what they stand for
> (a bit like UNIX, ins't it, `cp' and `pwd' and all that).

 [ .sig deleted ]

By the way, what does UNIX stand for?? (setting up for a barage of bad jokes?)
Maybe we need a new newsgroup 'alt.acronym'
Maybe this whole acronym discussion should be moved to 'rec.humor'
Maybe we should drop the acronym discussion before it gets out of hand

And, please don't tell me to RTFM...
--
------------------------------------------------+---------------------
Maybe I shouldn't have done it, sarcasm is so   | Joseph G. Toth Jr.

martillo@cpoint.UUCP (Joachim Carlo Santos Martillo) (09/27/89)

In article <1812@servax0.essex.ac.uk> and@uk.ac.lon.rfhsm.ux (&ndy Holyer) writes:

>In article <1710@zen.co.uk> paola@zen.co.uk (Paola Kathuria) writes:
>>Here's my question for the week:  How comes IMP means `Packet Switching
>>Node' (as mentioned in another article)?

IMP (Interface Message Processor -- old nomenclature) ==
PSN (Packet Switching Node -- new nomenclature)

>And while we're at it, I know what a DELNI and a DEQNA are (is? are? dunno),
>but does anyone know offhand what they stand for?

I am not really sure about these but I would guess something like
DEC Ethernet Local Network Interfaced and DEC Ethernet Queuing Network
Adaptor.

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (09/29/89)

In article <1620@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US>
	toth@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Joseph G. Toth Jr.) writes:
>By the way, what does UNIX stand for?? (setting up for a barage of bad jokes?)

Not funny.  See below.

>And, please don't tell me to RTFM...

I wouldn't do a thing like that.  RFNAN!  (read news.announce.newusers)

>Maybe I shouldn't have done it, sarcasm is so   | Joseph G. Toth Jr.
>seldom understood.  Don't FLAME on me, please.  | uunet!tellab5!toth

This is not the place.  I wouldn't be surprised to find 30
messages here tomorrow that say "but what *does* UNIX stand
for?" from users that haven't read news.announce.newusers and
don't know that this is the very first item in "Answers to
Frequently Asked Questions."

Would someone please write up something on KILL files and submit
it to Spaf for inclusion in next month's n.a.n postings?  I see
that's one of the few omissions.

Besides news.announce.newusers (which is updated more or less
monthly), your news administrator should have made available the
documents
	How To Read The Network News
	How To Use USENET Effectively
from the B News package.
(These also came with a "Copyright Law" explanation, which needs
to be updated; its author, Jordan J. Breslow, also has a
companion piece on software patents that probably should be
distributed with it iif it isn't already.)

					-=EPS=-

lum@armadillo.cis.ohio-state.edu (Lum Johnson) (09/29/89)

In article <1620@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US> toth@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Joseph G. Toth Jr.) writes:

>By the way, what does UNIX stand for?? ...

"UNIX" need not stand for anything - seating has been provided.

Seriously, though, "UNIX" is simply a pun on "MULTICS".  The '60's
Project MAC developed a model or philosophy of timesharing, which was
implemented by various groups as CTSS, ITS, MULTICS, and TOPS-10.
Those who found the MAC philosophy unsatisfactory decided to explore
other ideas.  BBN created TENEX;  Bell Labs created UNIX.
(The lists are in alphabetical order - no meaning should be inferred.)

>Maybe we need a new newsgroup 'alt.acronym'

No.  We have enough newsgroups already, thank you.  And rmgrouping
old newsgroups is painful beyond all understanding or comprehension.

>Maybe this whole acronym discussion should be moved to 'rec.humor'

How about `alt.religion.computers'?  Traffic has thinned out there.
-=-
--
Lum Johnson      lum@cis.ohio-state.edu      lum@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu
"You got it kid -- the large print giveth and the small print taketh away."

gary@sci34hub.UUCP (Gary Heston) (09/30/89)

In article <1620@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US>, toth@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Joseph G. Toth Jr.) writes:

> By the way, what does UNIX stand for?? (setting up for a barage of bad jokes?)

UNIX was named to differentiate it from a multi-user mainframe
operating system called Multics, compressing a few letters
phonetically. UNIX was so named because it was a single-user
OS, originally. It wasn't multi for the first few versions.

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!gary@sci34hub  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)

mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant) (10/01/89)

From article <608@wet.UUCP>, by epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott):
> In article <1620@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US>
> 	toth@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Joseph G. Toth Jr.) writes:
>>And, please don't tell me to RTFM...
>
> I wouldn't do a thing like that.  RFNAN!  (read news.announce.newusers)
> .....  I wouldn't be surprised to find 30 > messages here ....
> .... from users that haven't read news.announce.newusers and
> don't know that this is the very first item in "Answers to
> Frequently Asked Questions."

On the system I'm reading news on now, news.announce.newusers is empty.
I guess the theory is that new users all start at the beginning of the
month, get all their questions answered, and become instant experts.
Anybody who doesn't fit that pattern can't know what's in "Answers to
Frequently Asked Questions" because they aren't there.

> Would someone please write up something on KILL files and submit
> it to Spaf for inclusion in next month's n.a.n postings?  I see
> that's one of the few omissions.

That's software dependent and should be in TFM.  The n.a.n postings are
about the network we all interface with, not about the many and various
tools we use to interface with it.

markw@gvlf1-c.gvl.unisys.com (Mark H. Weber) (10/02/89)

In article <4398@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant) writes:

>On the system I'm reading news on now, news.announce.newusers is empty.
>I guess the theory is that new users all start at the beginning of the
>month, get all their questions answered, and become instant experts.
>Anybody who doesn't fit that pattern can't know what's in "Answers to
>Frequently Asked Questions" because they aren't there.

The latest set of Spaf's postings in news.announce.newusers have an
expiration date of 2 Dec 89 22:25:30 GMT. If you don't have these messages
at your site, it means that your news administrator does not allow 'expire'
to honor the date in the "Expire: " header. Some sites do this because of
persons abusing this feature, putting long expiration times on trivial
postings. Sites which do not honor the expiration date for postings in
news.announce.newusers should make these files available to new users via
some other mechanism.

--
  Mark H. Weber                   | Internet: markw@GVL.Unisys.COM
  Unisys - Great Valley Labs      |     UUCP: ...!uunet!lgnp1!gvlv2!markw