[news.newusers.questions] List of subjects in an already read group

ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) (09/28/89)

  I require a quick method of peeking at subject lines of an already
  read group... in short I'd like to skip the manual steps involved in

  1. typing g xxx.yyy.zzz    -- go to selected group
  2. typing y                -- YES to "0 in xxx.yyy.zzz - read?"
  3. typing #                -- to find the last article#
  4. typing <#-100>-<#>      -- that is, typing some arbitrarily lower
                             -- (than #) figure-dash-last article number
                             -- to mark the previous 100 (or so) unread
  5. typing =                -- to get the subject-lines list from
                             -- which a selection can be made.

  There's got to be a simpler way to do it, something along the
  lines of `.g xxx.yyy.zzz'

  Now's the chance for the real rn-macro-killers among you to prove
  your salt's worth   ;-)

  "Name of the game - eeeDeePee"  -- paraphrase of concluding lines
                                     of "A Street Named Desire" by
                                     Tennesee Williams.
--
----
------ ianf@nada.kth.se/ @sekth.bitnet/ uunet!nada.kth.se!ianf

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (09/28/89)

In article <1802@draken.nada.kth.se> ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) writes:

>  I require a quick method of peeking at subject lines of an already
>  read group...

Try
	g xxx	or	o xx	("o" is quicker if the string's unique)

then within the group,

	?.?m
	=

--
"We plan absentee ownership.  I'll stick to       `o'   Tom Neff
 building ships." -- George Steinbrenner, 1973    o"o   tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

suzy@tank.uchicago.edu (suzy marie mercer) (09/28/89)

:>
:
:Try
:	g xxx	or	o xx	("o" is quicker if the string's unique)
:
:then within the group,
:
:	?.?m
:	=
:
:--
:"We plan absentee ownership.  I'll stick to       `o'   Tom Neff
: building ships." -- George Steinbrenner, 1973    o"o   tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

Uh, Tom, do you really want to suggest:

       ?.?m

That will get ALL archived read articles marked as unread. If your system
archives two weeks worth, you could be marking a thousand or so.
(I think the original poster wanted to mark about 100).

suzy marie mercer
suzy@tank.uchicago.edu                 ....!uunet!mimsy!oddjob!tank!suzy

r4@cbnews.ATT.COM (richard.r.grady..jr) (09/29/89)

In article <1802@draken.nada.kth.se> ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) writes:
>  I require a quick method of peeking at subject lines of an already
>  read group... in short I'd like to skip the manual steps involved in
>
>  1. typing g xxx.yyy.zzz    -- go to selected group
>  2. typing y                -- YES to "0 in xxx.yyy.zzz - read?"
>  3. typing #                -- to find the last article#
>  4. typing <#-100>-<#>      -- that is, typing some arbitrarily lower
>                             -- (than #) figure-dash-last article number
>                             -- to mark the previous 100 (or so) unread
>  5. typing =                -- to get the subject-lines list from
>                             -- which a selection can be made.
>
>  There's got to be a simpler way to do it, something along the
>  lines of `.g xxx.yyy.zzz'

My approach uses only 3 steps:

  1. type  g xxx.yyy.zzz    -- go to selected group
  2. type  y                -- YES to "0 in xxx.yyy.zzz - read?"
  3. type  ?.?r=            -- print subjects of all articles (read or not)

This will print the subjects in reverse order, i.e., most recent first.
When you see the one you want, stop the listing with your interrupt key
(BREAK, CTRL-C, etc.).  To view the article, type its number.
Note that this command sequence does not affect the read/unread status
of the articles.  If you know some text in the subject, put that text
between the question marks:
       ?foo?r=
restricts the printing to articles with "foo" in the subject.
--
Dick Grady              r_r_grady@att.com          ...!att!mvuxd!r4

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (09/30/89)

In article <1802@draken.nada.kth.se> ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) writes:
#  I require a quick method of peeking at subject lines of an already
#  read group...
#  Now's the chance for the real rn-macro-killers among you to prove
#  your salt's worth   ;-)

I don't qualify, but having long ago asked the same question to a local
expert (thanks Andrew) here are the three macros I use, the first of which
solves your problem.   Put these three lines in file  .rnmac in your
login directory and enjoy:

~ $/./r:=
@1 |mail -s "%s" %L
@2 |print\n

The first is to list all articles in a group;  like = but ~ will list
ones you've read too.    You can then pick the one you want by typing
its number.

@1  simply mails the article to yourself, puting the article Subject (%s) as
the mail Subject.

@2  feeds the article to the program  print
In my case this is the following 2-liner, which uses enscript to print
'two-up' on my local Postscript printer   (yes, I could have put the
enscript command into the macro, but I had 'print' anyway).

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/enscript -P alw4 -2r -G $*

@1 and @2 may not be useful to you, but I include them as examples of how to
write simple macros.   If you read the full    man rn   you will see what
other strings can be invoked as %<something>.

--
Regards,    David Wright       STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, UK
dww@stl.stc.co.uk <or> ...uunet!mcvax!ukc!stl!dww <or> PSI%234237100122::DWW

tim@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Tim Nelson) (10/02/89)

   ---- stuff deleted ----
>>  5. typing =                -- to get the subject-lines list from
>>                             -- which a selection can be made.
   ---- stuff deleted ----

>My approach uses only 3 steps:
>
>  1. type  g xxx.yyy.zzz    -- go to selected group
>  2. type  y                -- YES to "0 in xxx.yyy.zzz - read?"
>  3. type  ?.?r=            -- print subjects of all articles (read or not)
>
>This will print the subjects in reverse order, i.e., most recent first.

This seems all well and good, but I just tried it, and not all of
the subject lines were printed.

The command I use, instead of "?.?r=", is a non-documented command.
(At least non-documented as far as I can see in the manual.)
I don't know if this is a valid command or if it only works on my
system, but it seems to do more than the "=".
The command is "D", that is the upper-case d. (I call it shift-d 8-))

This command only seems to work when there is at least one un-read
article in a newsgroup, though I can't figure out why.
What is displayed is the article number, read status (y/n), and the
subject line.

If anyone knows more about "D" perhaps you could send me some e-mail,
describing this command in all it's uses.

        later & later,

tim (nelson)     | uucp        ...!uunet!attcan!ncrcan!tim
ncr canada       | internet     tim@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM
(416) 826-9000   | 6865 Century Ave, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5N 2E2
* Have a good day, and a great forever.