[news.newusers.questions] rn questions

bagchi@zippy.eecs.umich.edu (Ranjan Bagchi) (09/20/89)

I'm trying to write a script that will dump all the messages that rn would
normally show me, (i.e. the new ones on the newsgroups that I subscribe
to) to a file.

Simple redirection, obviously, will not work as there are prompts which
need to be dealt with.  Is there some way to take care of this?

	-rj
	bagchi@sparky.eecs.umich.edu
	Ranjan_Bagchi@ub.cc.umich.edu

aqm@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Steve Weinrich) (09/23/89)

bagchi@zippy.eecs.umich.edu (Ranjan Bagchi) writes:

>I'm trying to write a script that will dump all the messages that rn would
>normally show me, (i.e. the new ones on the newsgroups that I subscribe
>to) to a file.

  Well, first off, you must realize where your "news" is coming from.
When you invoke rn, or any news reader for that matter, you are
just watching it "cat" all the news articles that you have not
read. It is very civilized, and very helpful. But, the point here is
that your news is nothing more than a set of files stored in a
directory on your machine. If you wish to view all the articles
available, you can actualy change into that directory and view
the files in each group you wish to see.

  You might run into problems trying to sort out which ones you
have or haven't read though, so this might not be the solution you
are looking for. Anyone else?

  -Steve

--
Steve Weinrich   -    Purdue University    -    Unix Group Support
E-Mail: aqm@cc.purdue.edu

lar@usl-pc.usl.edu (Robert Lane A.) (09/26/89)

In article <378@zip.eecs.umich.edu> bagchi@zippy.eecs.umich.edu
(Ranjan Bagchi) writes:

>I'm trying to write a script that will dump all the messages that rn would
>normally show me, (i.e. the new ones on the newsgroups that I subscribe
>to) to a file.

If you have it, "readnews -p >file" should do exactly what you want.

--
Lane A. Robert
University of Southwestern Louisiana Computing Center      Lafayette

r4@cbnews.ATT.COM (richard.r.grady..jr) (09/27/89)

In article <LAR.89Sep26103711@usl-pc.usl.edu> lar@usl-pc.usl.edu (Robert Lane A.) writes:
>In article <378@zip.eecs.umich.edu> bagchi@zippy.eecs.umich.edu
>(Ranjan Bagchi) writes:
>
>>I'm trying to write a script that will dump all the messages that rn would
>>normally show me, (i.e. the new ones on the newsgroups that I subscribe
>>to) to a file.
>
>If you have it, "readnews -p >file" should do exactly what you want.

I do not know how to what Ranjan Bagchi wants, but he should beware of
using readnews.  Quoting from TFM on rn:

   You will therefore want to rearrange your .newsrc file to put the most
   interesting newsgroups first. [how to do it.]   WARNING: invoking
   readnews/vnews (the old user interface) in any way (including as a news
   checker in your login sequence!) will cause your .newsrc to be
   disarranged again.)

--
Dick Grady              r_r_grady@att.com          ...!att!mvuxd!r4

<1154@corpane.UUCP>

Have you ever went a few weeks without reading a group, or just subscribe to a
new newsgroup and attempt to read it with rn?

It goes to the group, announces that it's 'skipping unavailable articles' and
then tells you 'end of news group'.

Why? As far as I can tell it seems to balk when looking through a
newsgroup's articles and finding that there is bunch of missing articles (they
have expired since the last time you read the group) and decides to wipe out
all the remaining articles, marking them as read.

WHY? WHY? WHY? [pulling out my hair]

why doesn't it just skip over the expired articles and continue on with the
articles that are not expired, like vnews does?

And is there a way to fix it?
--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.