[news.newusers.questions] Abbreviation: UNIX

mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant) (09/29/89)

From article <1620@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US>, by toth@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Joseph G. Toth Jr.):
> By the way, what does UNIX stand for?? (setting up for a barage of bad jokes?)

UNIX was named after MULTICS.  UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T.
It is not and never was an acronym.

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201) 949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	att!hounx!marty1 or marty1@hounx.ATT.COM

Disclaimer: Opinions stated herein are mine unless and until my employer
	    explicitly claims them; then I lose all rights to them.

rodney@sun.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) (10/01/89)

In article <4350@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant)
  writes:
m> From article <1620@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US>,
m> by toth@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Joseph G. Toth Jr.):
> By the way, what does UNIX stand for?? (setting up for a barage of bad
> jokes?)
m> UNIX was named after MULTICS.  UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T.
m> It is not and never was an acronym.

But Multics is an acronym.  Anyone know what it stands for?

PS: One of the last Multics machines just went away.  radc-multics is
now officially offline.  sigh.

--
Rodney

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (10/03/89)

In article <RODNEY.89Sep30150014@sun.ipl.rpi.edu>, rodney@sun (Rodney Peck II) writes:
| But Multics is an acronym.  Anyone know what it stands for?

Well, since it was so "indirect-happy", I believe the official unofficial
expansion was quoted as:
  Many Unbelievably Large Tables In Core Simultaneously

Just another UNIX hacker (is that redundant? :-),
--
/== Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ====\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA, Sol III  |