[news.newusers.questions] ".edu.UUCP" suffix

mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant) (10/03/89)

From article <3477@midway.cs.glasgow.ac.uk>, by jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin):
> There are lots of sites out there that have a ".edu.UUCP" suffix on this
> line; replies to articles from them will invariably bounce unless you spot
> it in time and edit the address.

Good point.  But if I spot it when replying, what should I edit it to?

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201) 949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	att!hounx!marty1 or marty1@hounx.ATT.COM

Disclaimer: Opinions stated herein are mine unless and until my employer
	    explicitly claims them; then I lose all rights to them.

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (10/04/89)

In <3477@midway.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) writes:
jack> There are lots of sites out there that have a ".edu.UUCP" suffix
jack> on this line; replies to articles from them will invariably
jack> bounce unless you spot it in time and edit the address.

In <4460@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant) writes:
mbb> Good point.  But if I spot it when replying, what should I edit it to?

It is nearly always the case that domains and the UUCP pseudo-domain
are not mixable.  That is, in an @ style address, an address with
.UUCP tacked on the end will generally not have any other .domains in
the name; it will tend to be one machine name, no more periods.  If
you see a .UUCP with more than one period in the host part of the
address (everything to the left of that @) you are probably best off
removing the characters ".UUCP".  As the UUCPnet is becoming more
"domainified" there are certainly many UUCP hosts with multiple '.'s
in their names, but they will end in a country code rather than the
UUCP extension.

As a short summary of more of the commonly seen domains and
pseudo-domains, this list shows what would almost never be followed by
.UUCP:

        .com    .mil    .org    .edu    .net    .arpa .bitnet
        .ca     .us     .se     .fi     .uk     .oz

There are many more country codes in the domain system, the second
line merely being a representative sample.  bitnet is a pseudo-domain
like UUCP.  Most .arpa sites have converted to the domain system of
the rest of the DARPA Internet but some people still receive their
mail via the old addresses.

If your site is generating these bogus values in your own postings,
talk to the news or system administrator about getting the software
fixed and just edit the headers, if available, until it is.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))