[news.newusers.questions] addresses

griffin@nunki.usc.edu (Dennis Griffin) (10/08/89)

	how do i find out what machiens are on the net?  for example, i want
to get in touch via email with somebody in the auburn.edu domain, but I don't
know whether their machine is on the net, or if the domain of auburn univ. is
actually auburn.edu, or if auburn is actually on the net at all...also,
how about companies that would probably be in the uucp or com domains?  and
if you say RTFM, i have tried, but don't know where to look, so please do me
a favor and tell me how if it is possible, or that it is not possible if it
isn't.

	dennis

--
dennis griffin  	                              griffin@aludra.usc.edu
		"I like my pizza cold and my beer warm"

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (10/09/89)

In article <5602@merlin.usc.edu> griffin@nunki.usc.edu (Dennis Griffin) writes:
>	how do i find out what machiens are on the net?
Would you like a list?  Internet alone has over 150,000!  The
answer is: you don't.

>	                                                 for example, i want
>to get in touch via email with somebody in the auburn.edu domain, but I don't
>know whether their machine is on the net, or if the domain of auburn univ. is
>actually auburn.edu, or if auburn is actually on the net at all...

First of all, if you have Internet access, you have direct access
to this information.  Your site may have a "whois" program that
queries the server at NIC.DDN.MIL.  You can also telnet to
NIC.DDN.MIL and use the interactive WHOIS program.  Another place
to check is the CSNET server host, SH.CS.NET, where you can log
in as "ns" (no password) or obtain information by anonymous FTP.
That's not necessary for Auburn, as we'll see...

>                                                                  also,
>how about companies that would probably be in the uucp or com domains?  and
>if you say RTFM, i have tried, but don't know where to look, so please do me
>a favor and tell me how if it is possible, or that it is not possible if it
>isn't.

COM works the same way, but UUCP is a whole 'nother animal.
Let's work on the first problem.

*** Those of you who don't have Internet access, aren't getting
Internet access, and don't know anyone who does can hit 'n' now--
don't ask me "how can I get this information if I'm not on the
Internet" because for the most part it's exceedingly painful--
queries I can do in seconds you'd have to do by mail to
SERVICE@NIC.DDN.MIL and/or NSLOOKUP@SH.CS.NET, and that's slow!
Often several attempts are necessary.

$ tn nic.ddn.mil
Trying... Connected to NIC.DDN.MIL.

*  -- DDN Network Information Center --
*
*  For TAC news, type:                    TACNEWS <return>
*  For user and host information, type:   WHOIS <return>
*  For NIC information, type:             NIC <return>
*
*  For user assistance call (800) 235-3155 or (415) 859-3695
*  Report system problems to ACTION@NIC.DDN.MIL or call (415) 859-5921

 SRI-NIC, TOPS-20 Monitor 7(21240)-4
@term type vt100
@term no pau end
@whois
SRI-NIC WHOIS 3.5(1090)-1 on Sun, 8 Oct 89 16:18:50 PDT, load 2.25
  Enter a handle, name, mailbox, or other field, optionally preceded
  by a keyword, like "host sri-nic".  Type "?" for short, 2-page
  details, "HELP" for full documentation, or hit RETURN to exit.
---> Do ^E to show search progress, ^G to abort a search or output <---
Whois: whois auburn
Auburn University (AUBURN-DOM)					    AUBURN.EDU
Auburn University (NET-AU-NET)	AU-NET				   131.204.0.0
Whois: dom auburn
Auburn University (AUBURN-DOM)
   686 Discovery Drive
   Huntsville, AL 36806

   Domain Name: AUBURN.EDU

   Administrative Contact:
      Barnes, Ben  (BB175)  ASCO1!AUDUCVAX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
      (205) 895-7404
   Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      Shaeffer, James R.  (JRS48)  ASC02%AUDUCVAX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
      (205) 895-7425

   Domain servers in listed order:

   ASNGAT.ASN.NET		129.66.20.2
   ASNUAB.ASN.NET		129.66.20.11

   No known hosts under this secondary domain.
Whois: net au-net
Auburn University (NET-AU-NET)
   Division of University Computing
   144 Parker Hall
   Auburn University, AL 36849

   NetName: AU-NET
   NetNumber: 131.204.0.0

   Coordinator:
      Owen, Larry  (LO28)  owen%auducvax.bitnet@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
      (205) 826-4813

   No hosts found on this network.
Whois: dom asn.net
Alabama Supercomputer Center (ASN-DOM)
   686 Discovery Drive
   Huntsville, AL 35806

   Domain Name: ASN.NET

   Administrative Contact:
      Barnes, Ben  (BB175)  ASCO1!AUDUCVAX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
      (205) 895-7404
   Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      Shaeffer, James R.  (JRS48)  ASC02%AUDUCVAX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
      (205) 895-7425

   Domain servers in listed order:

   ASNGAT.ASN.NET		129.66.20.2
   ASNUAB.ASN.NET		129.66.20.11

Would you like to see the known hosts under this secondary domain? y

   There are 2 known hosts:

   ASNGAT.ASN.NET		129.66.20.2
   ASNUAB.ASN.NET		129.66.20.11
Whois:
@logo
Killed Job 17, TTY 151, at  8-Oct-89 16:21:24
 Used 0:00:08 in 0:02:52
Connection closed by Foreign Host

Hmm.  Seeing all those BITNET addresses leads me to believe that
this registration was done before they were actually connected to
the Internet.  Let's follow the trail some more.

$ nslookup
Default Server:  LOCALHOST
Address:  127.0.0.1

> set q=any
> auburn.edu.
Server:  LOCALHOST
Address:  127.0.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
auburn.edu	nameserver = ASNGAT.ASN.NET
auburn.edu	nameserver = ASNUAB.ASN.NET
ASNGAT.ASN.NET	inet address = 129.66.20.2
ASNUAB.ASN.NET	inet address = 129.66.20.11

> server asngat.asn.net.
Default Server:  asngat.asn.net
Address:  129.66.20.2

> auburn.edu.
Server:  asngat.asn.net
Address:  129.66.20.2

Non-authoritative answer:
auburn.edu	origin = asngat.asn.net
	mail addr = shaeffer.asngat.asn.net
	serial=10003, refresh=3600, retry=300, expire=3600000, min=28800
auburn.edu	nameserver = asngat.asn.net
asngat.asn.net	inet address = 129.66.20.2

> ls auburn.edu.
[asngat.asn.net]
Host or domain name            Internet address
 auburn                         server = asngat.asn.net
 ducvax                         129.66.22.1

> ducvax.auburn.edu.
Server:  asngat.asn.net
Address:  129.66.20.2

Non-authoritative answer:
ducvax.auburn.edu	inet address = 129.66.22.1
ducvax.auburn.edu	preference = 0, mail exchanger = ducvax.auburn.edu
ducvax.auburn.edu	CPU=VAX-8250	OS=VMS 4.7
ducvax.auburn.edu	inet address = 129.66.22.1, protocol = 6
	 7 21 23 25 37 79
ducvax.auburn.edu	inet address = 129.66.22.1

It's a good bet that ducvax.auburn.edu = AUDUCVAX.BITNET.
This is getting long, so I won't show how that's proven, but it
is in fact the case.  The machine is running MULTINET TCP/IP and
JNET.  It appears to talk to 12-30 other Auburn machines, but DNS
isn't set up properly so 129.66.*.* won't translate into anything
useful.  I'd try mailing to POSTMASTER@DUCVAX.AUBURN.EDU first.
Note that DUCVAX is on ASC's Class B network, not Auburn's.
Domains are administrative, networks much more physical.  Don't
expect 1:1 mappings.

					-=EPS=-