[news.newusers.questions] Re^2: Why doesn't someone create and easy to use rn?

markus@ti-csl.csc.ti.com (Markus N. Richardson) (10/12/89)

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:

[these answers are with respect to nn, the "no news is good news" newsreader]

>Does it reorder .newsrc the way it wants, rather than the way I
>want?

	The order of the newsgroups is entirely user and/or site configurable
	using the user INIT and/or site INIT files.

>Does it support KILL files?

	Yes, and an auto select (by subject) feature as well.

>Will it run with the customary netnews data files, or does it need
>its own proprietary database and a daemon to maintain them?

	You may configure nn to maintain a .newsrc file, but nn
	doesn't use it.  It would only be helpful if you switch
	between nn and another .newsrc-based newsreader.

	One of the nice features of nn is the dedicated database
	that it keeps up to date by using a daemon mode if you desire.
	Or you could let cron run the database updater (nnmaster) whenever.
	You really notice the speedup in fetching subjects of articles!

>Will it work with only NNTP to read news?  (There are machines
>without NFS!)

	Both host-based (no NNTP) and remote (via NNTP) nn is supported.

>I'm still waiting for something "superior" to rn.

	You have waited too long already!

	If you follow just a few low-traffic groups then rn is just fine.
	But when you attempt to keep up with 30+ high-volume groups, it
	becomes impossible with rn.  I must admit I will be trying xrn in
	the near future, not because I do not like nn, but because I am
	never content to leave well enough alone :-)