[news.newusers.questions] Why Don't I See All the News?

cavanaug@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (John David Cavanaugh) (10/07/89)

I have a rather simple question.  Why don't I see all the traffic in some
news groups?

A case in point is rec.folk-dancing.  I'm subscribed to the group, and if I
post an article there, it reaches the outside world, but the only articles I
ever see there are the ones I post (I don't think anyone else at my site
reads rec.folk-dancing).  I know there's traffic, because Terry Wood is kind
enough to bundle it all up once a week and send it out to a mailing list
that I get.  Why don't I see it with rn?

A couple of other examples:  In the current flame war over sci/rec.aquaria,
someone mentioned that about 10 articles/day are posted to alt.aquaria.  I
haven't seen 10 articles there in the past year.  And I haven't seen anything
at all in rec.humor.funny since the great "offensive joke" war.  I have seen
references to it, but why don't I see the traffic?

If someone could educate me, I'd appreciate it greatly.  Please answer by
e-mail, since I doubt this is of general interest.  Thanks.

--
John Cavanaugh                       John.Cavanaugh@StPaul.NCR.COM
NCR Comten, Inc.                     (612) 638-2822

In article <1598@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM> John.Cavanaugh@StPaul.NCR.COM (John
Cavanaugh) writes:
>I have a rather simple question.  Why don't I see all the traffic in some
>news groups?
>
>A case in point is rec.folk-dancing.  I'm subscribed to the group, and if I
>post an article there, it reaches the outside world, but the only articles I
>ever see there are the ones I post (I don't think anyone else at my site
>reads rec.folk-dancing).

It could be that your system administrator doesn't subscribe your site to
rec.folk-dancing

The newsgroup would still exist on your machine, and if anybody posted any
articles to newsgroups that your system did subscribe to, and CROSS posted
those articles to rec.folk-dancing, then you would see those occasional
articles appear in rec.folk-dancing. And you could post to rec.folk-dancing
because the newsgroup *is* there, and it would be sent out to the rest of the
world.

I had the same trouble on this machine. I used to read misc.consumers.house
but it really had low traffic. I would post messages there but not get any
replies. When I asked about it, Steve, the system admin, told me that our
system doesn't receive misc.*
     "What do you mean, I read the group!", I said
     "You are reading messages that have been crossposted TO that group from
other Valid groups that we DO receive" he answered.

Sure enough, I went back and looked at the newsgroups line in the articles in
that group and they all had other newsgroups listed as well as
misc.consumers.house.
--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
Help fight continental drift.