[news.newusers.questions] Why doesn't someone create and easy to use rn?

chiprout@venus.misemi ( test) (10/07/89)

Is there no better alternative to rn?  Seeing that network news is so
vital to communication, why doesn't some good programmer out there
create a news interface that is easy to use, easy to understand (with --
God forgive me -- a good help facility) and clear instructions.  man rn is
almost useless because you have to understand the term that are used
before you read it.

I am not a programmer but a frustrated user.  I have better things to
do with my time.  This posting shouldn't even exist.

Am I alone in my feelings?

halai@shiva.misemi (Shabbir Halai) (10/07/89)

In article <1083@venus.misemi> chiprout@.UUCP (Eli Chiprout - test) writes:
>Is there no better alternative to rn?  Seeing that network news is so
>vital to communication, why doesn't some good programmer out there
>do with my time.  This posting shouldn't even exist.
>
>Am I alone in my feelings?

Absolutely not.

fritz@unocss.UUCP (Tim Russell) (10/07/89)

chiprout@venus.misemi ( test) writes:

|Is there no better alternative to rn?  Seeing that network news is so
|vital to communication, why doesn't some good programmer out there
|create a news interface that is easy to use, easy to understand (with --
|God forgive me -- a good help facility) and clear instructions.  man rn is
|almost useless because you have to understand the term that are used
|before you read it.

    Have you looked at the other readers available?  There are several.
Until a few months ago I, along with 99% of the people on this machine,
used "vn" and was very happy with it.  It's easy to use and makes reading
much faster than on rn, IMHO.  It's not a bad reader at all.

    Now I use "nn".  It's even faster, and has an auto-kill/auto-select
file.  Vn lacks both and rn lacks the auto-select feature.  The people that
I have shown nn to seemed to find it easy enough, but it's incredibly
powerful and full-featured if one takes the time to read the man page, which
I think is pretty well-written.

    If you run Gnu Emacs, there are several readers available for it too.

|Am I alone in my feelings?

    Definitely not!  I think rn stinks too!

    So look around!  There are better alternatives.

--
Tim Russell   Univ. Of Nebr. at Omaha   russell@{zeus.unl.edu | unoma1.bitnet}
"I'm against any law that I wouldn't break if I could get away with it."

pkatz@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk (Philip Katz) (10/08/89)

From article <1085@shiva.misemi>, by halai@shiva.misemi (Shabbir Halai):
> In article <1083@venus.misemi> chiprout@.UUCP (Eli Chiprout - test) writes:
>>Is there no better alternative to rn?  Seeing that network news is so
>>vital to communication, why doesn't some good programmer out there
>>do with my time.  This posting shouldn't even exist.
>>
>>Am I alone in my feelings?
>
> Absolutely not.

	On this site we all use `vn', which the news gurus assure me is
infinetly superior to `rn'. The source may well be available by e-mail to
`postmaster@axion.bt.co.uk', though it's 1:30 a.m. so I can't check !!!

	There is also an X-windows version called `xrn' which I haven't had
a chance to try yet.

Philip Katz,                            :|:  PKatz@axion.bt.co.uk
British Telecom Research Laboratories,  :|:  + 44 473 642682
RT3141, SSTF 310, Martlesham Heath,     :|:  "Won't somebody teach me
Ipswich, Suffolk, England IP5 7RE       :|:    ... how to pick my nose?"

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (10/09/89)

In article <1083@venus.misemi> chiprout@.UUCP (Eli Chiprout - test) writes:
>Is there no better alternative to rn?  Seeing that network news is so
>vital to communication, why doesn't some good programmer out there
>create a news interface that is easy to use, easy to understand (with --
>God forgive me -- a good help facility) and clear instructions.  man rn is
>almost useless because you have to understand the term that are used
>before you read it.

There are a *lot* of newsreaders out there.  At InterOp Apple was
showing one running under HyperCard.  Most of the rn complaints
seem to be about the documentation rather than the program
itself.  A lot of people just don't WANT to read the manual page.
Here's a project for someone: an online "rn tutorial/demo."

					-=EPS=-

briang@bari.Sun.COM (Brian Gordon) (10/09/89)

In article <1083@venus.misemi> chiprout@.UUCP (Eli Chiprout - test) writes:
>Is there no better alternative to rn?  Seeing that network news is so
>vital to communication, why doesn't some good programmer out there
>create a news interface that is easy to use, easy to understand (with --
>God forgive me -- a good help facility) and clear instructions.  man rn is
>almost useless because you have to understand the term that are used
>before you read it.
>
>I am not a programmer but a frustrated user.  I have better things to
>do with my time.  This posting shouldn't even exist.
>
>Am I alone in my feelings?

You mean are there other people who want something for nothing?  No, there are
lots of them.  The creation of 'rn' involved LOTS of time from one individual,
with no compensation.  Larry Wall created a news reader that was -- and still
is, IMHO -- much better than the others available at the time.  If you don't
like it, don't use it.  If you want something "perfect", by your definition,
send me your definition and I'll bid it -- my guess is that it shouldn't run
over $25,000 (unless you want source, too -- that's negotiable).  Perhaps you
can find someone to do it cheaper.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| Brian G. Gordon	briang@Corp.Sun.COM (if you trust exotic mailers)     |
|			...!sun!bari!briang (if you route it yourself)	      |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

cmp7130@sys.uea.ac.uk (R.M. O'Neill) (10/09/89)

In article <1083@venus.misemi> chiprout@.UUCP (Eli Chiprout - test) writes:
>Is there no better alternative to rn?  Seeing that network news is so
>vital to communication, why doesn't some good programmer out there
>do with my time.  This posting shouldn't even exist.
>
>Am I alone in my feelings

There is a newsreader 'nn' which is a vast improvement over 'rn'. It is faster
and allows you to SELECT which articles you want to read (rather than just
presenting you with all of them and making you skip the trash, after half
reading it).l It also orders articles by subject and posting date (not arrival
date).

The source for 'nn' should be available from your nearest archive site for
the comp.sources.unix newsgroup (and other places too). [I have a list
somewhere but I ain't gonna dig it out just now!]

| #include <picture.h>	             | UUCP:  ..|ukc|uea-sys|cmp7130 |
| Richard O'Neill, UEA, Norwich, UK  | Janet: cmp7130@uk.ac.uea.sys  |

storkus@arrakis.nevada.edu (Mike Storke N7MSD) (10/10/89)

  Well, if those news readers (Vn, nn) are so superior to rn, then why is it
that more administrators don't get them as a replacement?  We're using rn
here.  Do I go to the administrators, and talk to them, or what do I do?
73's (best wishes) all,
Mike P. Storke, N7MSD @ University Nevada/Las Vegas-only a student, sorry :-)
Email: storkus@arrakis.nevada.edu  Packet: None (yet!)  My opinions are mine
and mine alone, so PLEASE only complain to ME and spare my relatives, the
world, etc. :-) "Big Brother has ALWAYS secretly watched you!!" - ME!! :-{

karen@everexn.uucp (Karen Valentino) (10/10/89)

chiprout@venus.misemi ( test) writes:

>Is there no better alternative to rn?  Seeing that network news is so
>vital to communication, why doesn't some good programmer out there
>create a news interface that is easy to use, easy to understand (with --
>God forgive me -- a good help facility) and clear instructions.  man rn is
>almost useless because you have to understand the term that are used
>before you read it.

>I am not a programmer but a frustrated user.  I have better things to
>do with my time.  This posting shouldn't even exist.

>Am I alone in my feelings?

I understand your complaint.  It takes a while to become conversant using
any newsreader, though.  Several of the people here where I work (I among
them) have switched to using nn ("no news" is good news).  I find that it
is much easier to deal with; the material presents itself in a more
screen-oriented format, with subject headers grouped together in
alphabetical order.  I find that I also have more control with nn; I can
change the way that the subject lines present themselves (sorted by
order of arrival instead of alphabetically, for instance), and there are
many options that can be used when entering nn.  I, like you, am not a
programmer, but I've learned enough during the past few months that I've
been logging on that I'm not sure whether you would consider the written
documentation to be "user friendly" or not!  I know enough of the syntax
to construct commands and get around.  I think the docs for nn are pretty
good, but I may have lost my neophyte perspective.

*But* I must agree that
no matter what reader you use, if you're not a programmer, and I think
especially if you're not familiar with Unix, you have some work to do
in order to become conversant.  It's not impossible, though, and I've
found that all the wrestling I've done has made me appreciate the power
of the computer all the more.  And I'm actually threatening to become a Unix
fan!  (And this is from the person who, logged on to Unix for the first
time, tried to take a directory by typing "dir"--when it came back at
me with "command not found" I *knew* this wasn't Kansas anymore!)

Anyway, rather than just commiserate with you, I'm going to make some
suggestions based on my limited experience.  These may or may not work
for you.  You may not be able to make the time to follow them, you may
not secretly love to wrestle like I do, and you may not have some of
the resources available that I did.

1) Find the documentation for your operating system, and start
reading.  I was totally intimidated when I first saw the row of binders
that consists of the documentation that we use (Everex version of Unix)--
five fat binders all lined up in a row!  It turns out that I only use
two of them, the User's Guide and the User's Reference.  I may be the
only person in the universe whose ability to get around on the net has been
enhanced in a big way by making friends with my os, but I seriously
doubt it.

2) I get the impression that you have *found* your FM; you just don't
understand what it has to say!  (I wish every person on the net who has
written a RTFM article would read yours!--what good does it do to read
TFM when it might as well be written in Esperanto?)  If you haven't located
your FM, find out where it is.  I had no idea that there was a manual for
rn (my late, unlamented news reader) when I first got started.  Anyway,
read your manual as best as you can.  As you go along, getting more
experience on the net, you can refer back to the manual and all the
gobbledeegook will make more and more sense to you.

Part of the problem is, of course, that most programmers don't write
documentation for users.  (From what I understand, trying to get them to
write documentation for each other can be a pretty trying endeavor,
too!)  We users are at a giant disadvantage--we don't speak the language!
(It gives me an idea of how immigrants must feel when they first get here
and are met by people whom they don't understand!--people who, when
the immigrants are so bold as to try to get some information so that
they can function in the culture, are told to RTFM!)

3) ...and this is the biggie--find mentors.  I work with programmers.  I
have found the ones who know about Unix and Usenet.  I ask lots of
questions.  Our system administrator has been very helpful to
me.  But I am careful to try to figure out stuff by myself if I'm able
to.  If I can't find it in the FM (which is usually the Unix docs these
days for me), then I ask *where* to find it, and look it up myself.  I
still need to ask questions, regularly.  There are wonderful people in
my office who have really helped.  I am a person who likes understanding
the big picture, above and beyond being able to make my computer do A or B or
C.  People who have experience are wonderful for helping me to expand
my horizons.

4) Lastly--read news.  All learning is somewhat cyclical--you kind of
take in as much infomation as you can until you go into system overload,
and then you sort of process what you've managed to take in and
synthesize it with what you already know.  When that's done, you have
some more room to take in more stuff and continue the process.  Reading
news on the net, you'll find that you understand more and more.  Someone
will write something really useful and you'll have one of those great
Aha! experiences where something clicks, and you'll be that much farther
along in the game.

I hope that this is useful.  If you are interested in nn, I know that we
got the sources off of the net.  There are probably others out there who
are nn afficionados.  If you want to, you can email me and I'll try to find
out more information about how we got nn up and running.  If I remember
right, nn is a "work in progress" and it may be that there will be a new
release coming up.  I don't know the name of the fellow who is designing
it, but wish I did; he certainly deserves credit.  Anybody out there who
can supply his name/location?

Best of luck to you!

Cheers--Karen

--
Karen Valentino  <>  Everex North (Everex Systems)  <>  Sebastopol, CA

eacj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) (10/10/89)

In article <648@wet.UUCP> epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>In article <1083@venus.misemi> chiprout@.UUCP (Eli Chiprout - test) writes:
>>Is there no better alternative to rn?  Seeing that network news is so
>>vital to communication, why doesn't some good programmer out there
>>create a news interface that is easy to use, easy to understand (with --
>>God forgive me -- a good help facility) and clear instructions.  man rn is
>
>There are a *lot* of newsreaders out there.  At InterOp Apple was
>showing one running under HyperCard.  Most of the rn complaints

Does anyone know about availability for the Hypercard newsreader?  Sounds
like a great idea.

[This space left intentionally blank, fodder for the mailer]
--
Julian Vrieslander
Neurobiology & Behavior, W250 Mudd Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (10/11/89)

In article <885@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> storkus@arrakis.nevada.edu.uucp
	(Mike Storke N7MSD) writes:
>  Well, if those news readers (Vn, nn) are so superior to rn, then why is it
>that more administrators don't get them as a replacement?

Does it reorder .newsrc the way it wants, rather than the way I
want?

Does it support KILL files?

Will it run with the customary netnews data files, or does it need
its own proprietary database and a daemon to maintain them?

Will it work with only NNTP to read news?  (There are machines
without NFS!)

I'm still waiting for something "superior" to rn.

					-=EPS=-

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (10/11/89)

In <885@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> storkus@arrakis.nevada.edu (Mike Storke N7MSD):
Mike>   Well, if those news readers (Vn, nn) are so superior to rn,
Mike> then why is it that more administrators don't get them as a
Mike> replacement?  We're using rn here.  Do I go to the
Mike> administrators, and talk to them, or what do I do?

Sure, talk to them.  See what they have to say.  It might even help a
little in some cases if you got the package first and could address
what is gained by installing it.

Why don't more administrators get them?  Various reasons.  For one,
there is nothing really that is "so superior" about them; often times
the claim of such superiority is more subjective than objective.
Another reason could be that many news adminstrators don't pay much
attention to news.  They'll look at it if it is broken, but in general
they just leave it be.  The software they run falls behind in
patchlevels and new software isn't tried.  Sometimes it is a matter of
available diskspace, or just convenience.

As an example, I directly support three readers here -- rn, nn and
GNUS.  I'm quite inclined to simply toss nn because I don't personally
like it, but I know there are other readers who do like it, so it
stays.  If I have a little free time (HAH!) maybe I'll get something
else.  More likely, if someone comes to me and says, "Hey, I like
<reader>, would you please install it?"  I probably will.  That is
indeed the case with readnews, which someone has told me he uses for
non-interactive processing.  I just haven't gotten around to messing
with the readnews provided for C News, whose building is not
well-coordinated with the rest of the C News configuration.

Oh, one more thing.  Many sites don't even _have_ a news admin.  The
person who installed it doesn't work there anymore, for example, and
the system just sort of runs itself.  Mail to news or usenet@that.site
goes unanswered and administrative details like adding and removing
groups aren't addressed.  That sort of site is very likely to be
behind the times for news software, too.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) (10/12/89)

In article <654@wet.UUCP> epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:

>I'm still waiting for something "superior" to rn.
>
>					-=EPS=-

  DITTO!!!!!

--
Jack 		Computer Support Corportion		Dallas,Texas
Hudler		UUCP: {texsun,texbell,attctc}!csccat!jack

curt@dtix.dt.navy.mil (Welch) (10/13/89)

In article <1083@venus.misemi>, chiprout@venus.misemi writes:
>Is there no better alternative to rn?

From all the postings, you see that there are many alternatives
to rn.  You must understand that for a "typical" Unix user (a
programmer), rn is a great program, is easy to use, and has
lots of great features.  Just because rn doesn't fit your needs
doesn't mean that it isn't the "best" program around.

>Seeing that network news is so
>vital to communication, why doesn't some good programmer out there
>create a news interface that is easy to use, easy to understand (with --
>God forgive me -- a good help facility) and clear instructions.  man rn is
>almost useless because you have to understand the term that are used
>before you read it.

I have been working on a news reader called tnews for the past 6 months
to address some of these problems for our users.

The office I work in supports 7 Unix systems that are used for "office
automation".  Most of our 1000 users don't even know what Unix is, let
alone understand concepts like "standard input", "processes", and
"pipes".

Tnews is designed to be "better" than rn for our users (and our support
staff) but certainly not for all users.  It is designed to be simple to
use and easy to learn.  rn is a very nice program for people that are
used to dealing with Unix but you do have to spend some time reading
the manual to learn to control it.  tnews is designed to be as simple
and harmless as possible for the naive user, but yet be powerful enough
that you won't have to switch to rn once you learn what news is all
about.

Tnews is a screen oriented program.  The first screen you see is a list
of newsgroups (and their descriptions) that you are subscribed to.
When you chose a news group to read, you are shown a list of articles
in that group.  You can then select and read articles.  Tnews makes it
very obvious to the user "where" he is, and makes it very easy to
re-read articles.

There is a menu of commands at the bottom of each screen, but only the
basic commands are listed there.  You can do all the basic functions of
reading, posting, and replying using only the few basic commands listed
in the menus, but, like rn, there are many other commands for doing the
more advanced functions (which are listed in the help screens).

Tnews is completely compatible with rn and the rest of news.  It uses the
.newsrc file, and can read news locally or through NNTP (with the same
program).

Tnews is still under development, but is about to be released to our
users.  So far, it seems to be meeting its design goals.  New users
that are shown both tnews and rn prefer tnews.  Of the users that have
already learned to use rn, about 25% switch to tnews.

It might be possible to release tnews to the public.  If you have any
interest in it, let me know.  It is currently running under ULTRIX 2.2,
on VAX systems and under BSD 4.3 on ISI (68020) systems.

>I am not a programmer but a frustrated user.  I have better things to
>do with my time.  This posting shouldn't even exist.

Programmers have better things to do with their time than to write free
software for you.  You should consider yourself lucky to have USENET at
all.  To commercially develop a news reader that is "better" than rn
will cost around $100,000.  If you have that type of money to spend,
drop me a line.

Curt Welch
curt@dtix.dt.navy.mil

doug@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Douglas W O'neal) (10/13/89)

In article <183@nems.dt.navy.mil> curt@dtix.dt.navy.mil (Curt Welch) writes:
*From all the postings, you see that there are many alternatives
*to rn.  You must understand that for a "typical" Unix user (a
*programmer), ...
 ^^^^^^^^^^
 [ . . . . .]
*The office I work in supports 7 Unix systems that are used for "office
*automation".  Most of our 1000 users don't even know what Unix is, let
*alone understand concepts like "standard input", "processes", and
*"pipes".
 [ . . . . .]
*Curt Welch
*curt@dtix.dt.navy.mil

Does it seem a little strange to you that a typical (i.e, one of the majority)
UNIX user is a programmer who does not know what his/her operating system is?
--
Doug O'Neal                  Distributed Systems Programmer
Homewood Academic Computing  doug@jhuvms.bitnet

doug@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Douglas W O'neal) writes:
>Does it seem a little strange to you that a typical (i.e, one of the majority)
>UNIX user is a programmer who does not know what his/her operating system is?

Interesting.

I said that because I don't think our users are "typical" UNIX users.  That's
why we decided to write tnews.  Perhaps they are more typical than I realize.

gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg S. Hennessy) (10/13/89)

In article <2914@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> doug@jhunix.UUCP (Douglas W O'neal) writes:
#Does it seem a little strange to you that a typical (i.e, one of the majority)
#UNIX user is a programmer who does not know what his/her operating system is?

No, it seems to me that that is our goal. I *SHOULD* be able to run
1-2-3 or lotus without knowing or perhaps caring what the underlying
OS is. However, it should be available for those who DO care what the
OS is.

-Greg Hennessy, University of Virginia
 USPS Mail:     Astronomy Department, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475 USA
 Internet:      gsh7w@virginia.edu
 UUCP:		...!uunet!virginia!gsh7w

bagchi@sparky.eecs.umich.edu (Ranjan Bagchi) (10/14/89)

In article <2111@hudson.acc.virginia.edu> gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg S. Hennessy) writes:
>No, it seems to me that that is our goal. I *SHOULD* be able to run
>1-2-3 or lotus without knowing or perhaps caring what the underlying
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Umm...aren't these one in the same?

nit-picking...rj
              bagchi@sparky.eecs.umich.edu

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (10/15/89)

I received mail from someone suggesting that I look at GNUS.

I grabbed the sources from tut.cis.ohio-state.edu and dropped
them onto a NeXT running the 1.0 release (which, interestingly
enough, comes with the gnus documentation (which wasn't in 0.9),
but not gnus itself).  It was relatively painless to install
(wow!) and worked well, if a bit slowly.  I wasn't too impressed
with the built-in help, but the "real" documentation is quite
good.  Hint: use the newsetup(1) script from rn to set up an
initial .newsrc; gnus doesn't do as good a job, and takes a long
time.

While I personally prefer rn, there are considerable benefits to
running in the GNU emacs environment, so I intend to support it.

(For someone who knows: how's weemba's Gnews?)

					-=EPS=-

rodney@taac.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) (10/16/89)

Eric> I received mail from someone suggesting that I look at GNUS.

Eric> I grabbed the sources from tut.cis.ohio-state.edu and dropped
Eric> them onto a NeXT running the 1.0 release (which, interestingly
Eric> enough, comes with the gnus documentation (which wasn't in 0.9),
Eric> but not gnus itself).  It was relatively painless to install
Eric> (wow!) and worked well, if a bit slowly.  I wasn't too impressed
Eric> with the built-in help, but the "real" documentation is quite
Eric> good.  Hint: use the newsetup(1) script from rn to set up an
Eric> initial .newsrc; gnus doesn't do as good a job, and takes a long
Eric> time.

Eric> While I personally prefer rn, there are considerable benefits to
Eric> running in the GNU emacs environment, so I intend to support it.

Gnus is actually much faster than rn when you use NNTP to just get
headers.  It really flies.

What would be nicer is if it would take the time while you are reading
an article to get the NEXT article.  Then, response time would be
seem to be practically immediate.

Gnus is nice and it's extendable.

--
Rodney

afoiani@nmsu.EDU (Anthony Foiani) (10/16/89)

Just a personal preference, but if any of the people out there
complaining about rn and rn' have access to gemacs, I would not
hesitate to recommend gnus.

It has an extremely stable interface, fairly mnemonic keys [altho I
have yet to figure out how to get 'a' from "post"].  And best of all
[for all you editor affectionados(sp?) out there], everything is
treated as a buffer in gemacs... i.e. edit to your heart's content.

it is available from xanth.cis.odu.edu [anon ftp], but fair warning:
it take something like a meg of free memory to get it running [altho
it goes down to about .5M when byte-compiled].  Setup is not for the
faint-of-heart [or low-of-disk-quota], but anybody fairly conversant
with UNIX and gemacs has a fair chance.  The package includes a tcp.c
program that [if i remember correctly] allows use of NNTP w/o needing
NFS.  (I'm not sure on this point, but it sounds good.)

In closing, gemacs + gnus is far superior to rn, and probably to nn
[altho i have had no experience with this reader].  It gives the user
much more powerful article selection features, as well as supporting
all our old friends [kill files, etc.]

laters...

--
tony foiani  (afoiani@nmsu.edu)         "And remember...don't lose your