[news.newusers.questions] several questions

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (09/18/89)

First, try being a bit more informative with the Subject line.
Something like: "Several questions about mail and rn" would have been
better.

In article <3665@blake.acs.washington.edu> wiml@blake.acs.washington.edu (William Lewis) writes:
: 1.  Is there a way to get mail from Usenet (or Internet or whatever this is
:     I'm using) to Compuserve? I seem to recall seeing somewhere a
:     description of a gateway, but at the time I had no need of it.

There is. Someone else will have to tell you how, since I don't know
the details.

: 3.  Is there a way to make `mail' think I've read an article, when I
:     actually haven't? I want it to go to mbox when I exit, but I don't
:     want to have to wait for it to scroll slowly past at 1200bps ...

Which `mail'? Questions like this should always be accompanied by a
description of your system. This should be at least the hardware type,
operating system name, and OS version, along with anything else that
might be relevant to getting the answer.

My `mail' has the `mbox' command (abbreviate `mb').

: 4.  What is the format of the .forward file,  and how does it work? Will
:     it do anything under normal `mail'? I've looked in the manual under
:     `forward', `.forward', `dotforward', etc. but have found nothing. A
:     correct manual reference would be great.

The .forward file is just a mail address. On some systems you can
give more than one mail address; I'm not sure whether you use commas
or spaces as a delimiter.

: 5.  What is the format of a mailbox file (or how do I find out). I want
:     to be able to browse, modify, etc. a standard mailbox file, from within
:     programs I write.

Depends on the system. Mine looks like this:

	From <who-from> <date>
	Message headers
	blank line
	Message body
	blank line

In the message body, any line beginning with `From ' has an `>' placed
in front of it. As for the description of the message headers, for
that there is a standard (RFC822, I think), but there is no telling
if your system follows it.

---
bill@twwells.com

ted@nmsu.edu (Ted Dunning) (09/18/89)

In article <1989Sep17.222953.14160@twwells.com> bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) writes:

   In article <3665@blake.acs.washington.edu> wiml@blake.acs.washington.edu (William Lewis) writes:

   : 1.  Is there a way to get mail from Usenet (or Internet or whatever this is
   :     I'm using) to Compuserve? I seem to recall seeing somewhere a
   :     description of a gateway, but at the time I had no need of it.

william lewis is apparently on the internet based on the form of his
address (and the fact that the university of washington is heavily
networked).  if this is true and if he has an on the ball mailer, he
can just append @compuserve.com to any compuserve addresses that he
has.  getting mail _back_ from the compuserve side is a black art to
me.

if this doesn't work, then your local guru may be able to work with
the fact that nslookup shows the mail exchanger for compuserve.com to
be:

saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu      inet address = 128.146.8.98

good luck.

--
ted@nmsu.edu
			Most of all, he loved the fall

throoph@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Henry Throop) (09/18/89)

In article <1989Sep17.222953.14160@twwells.com> bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) writes:
>In article <3665@blake.acs.washington.edu> wiml@blake.acs.washington.edu (William Lewis) writes:
>: 1.  Is there a way to get mail from Usenet (or Internet or whatever this is
>:     I'm using) to Compuserve? I seem to recall seeing somewhere a
>:     description of a gateway, but at the time I had no need of it.
>
>There is. Someone else will have to tell you how, since I don't know
>the details.

Mail to Compu$erve can be sent by substituting the comma in a CIS user's
ID # for a period, and then mailing them @compuserve.com; for example,
7yyyy,xxx@compuserve.com.  (I'm not sure if that's the right number of
digits.)

Btw, you can also send mail to MCI Mail users the same way: