[news.newusers.questions] :-), what is it?

basilisk@guava.ucsb.edu (10/15/89)

  I keep seeing the symbol ':-)' and variations of it all over the news.
What exactly does it mean?  Nobody around here really seems to know and I
wouldn't know where to look for it in a manual.

|	Ed Jordan	|	basilisk@cornu.ucsb.edu    |

packer@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Michael A Packer,Knapp Hall,,2928607) (10/15/89)

From article <2531@hub.UUCP>, by basilisk@guava.ucsb.edu:

>   I keep seeing the symbol ':-)' and variations of it all over the news.
> What exactly does it mean?  Nobody around here really seems to know and I
> wouldn't know where to look for it in a manual.

 Ed turn your head to the left 90 degrees.  It is a smilie face.  Yes,
there are many, many variations to this little character set.

:) ;-) ;-] :( :[ and so on.....

mike
USMAIL:	318 Knapp Hall, WVU, Morgantown, WV 26506
PHONE:	304 293-3607
INTERNET : packer@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu
USENET:  {allegra,bellcore,ihpn4!cadre,decvax!idis,psuvax1}!pitt!wvucsa!packer

fordke@ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (10/17/89)

In article <2531@hub.UUCP> basilisk@guava.ucsb.edu writes:

>  I keep seeing the symbol ':-)' and variations of it all over the news.
>What exactly does it mean?  Nobody around here really seems to know and I
>wouldn't know where to look for it in a manual.
>|	Ed Jordan	|	basilisk@cornu.ucsb.edu    |

Here is a list of smiley, and others!

:)	smiley

>:)	a little devil