[news.newusers.questions] replying when all I have is ..!something!something_else

griffin@nunki.usc.edu (Dennis Griffin) (10/15/89)

	I realize that this is not exactly a question about news, but I would
like to reply to somebody who has given an address that is different that the
one that the message was originally posted to.  The address was in the form
of !something!something_else!yes_something_else.  I am only familiar with the
address types like u@x.y.z, and when I used mail to respond, it said something
along the lines of "unknown action."  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

	dennis

--
dennis griffin  	                              griffin@aludra.usc.edu
		"I like my pizza cold and my beer warm"

griffin@nunki.usc.edu (Dennis Griffin) (10/15/89)

	The actual response that mail gives me is "Event Not Found"

--

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (10/15/89)

In article <5777@merlin.usc.edu> griffin@nunki.usc.edu (Dennis Griffin) writes:

|	The actual response that mail gives me is "Event Not Found"

aha!  You're using csh, or something else that uses the ! for something
special.  You need to "escape" your !'s, with \'s.  So mail to host!user
should be typed mail host\!user.

This bugged me for quite a while when I first started UUCP paths...

 Bill
--
   Bitnet: wcf@psuhcx.bitnet     Bill Fenner       | aaaaaaaaa
  Internet: wcf@hcx.psu.edu                        |            r

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (10/16/89)

In article <5777@merlin.usc.edu> griffin@nunki.usc.edu (Dennis Griffin) writes:
>	The actual response that mail gives me is "Event Not Found"

Betcha you're using some form of csh ("c shell").
! is a magic history substitution character--even in "quotes"

You have to prefix EVERY ! with a \ when typing to csh\!  :-)
(sh and ksh users, don't worry, this doesn't apply to you)

					-=EPS=-

flan@ai.wustl.edu (Ian Flanigan) (10/18/89)

In article <1699@psuhcx.psu.edu> wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) writes:
>In article <5777@merlin.usc.edu> griffin@nunki.usc.edu (Dennis Griffin) writes:
>|
>|	The actual response that mail gives me is "Event Not Found"
>
>aha!  You're using csh, or something else that uses the ! for something
>special.  You need to "escape" your !'s, with \'s.  So mail to host!user
>should be typed mail host\!user.
>
>This bugged me for quite a while when I first started UUCP paths...
>
> Bill

Another thing that you might have to do is add a "@uucp" to the end.  Here
at Wash U, the mailers really don't like bar!foo, but bar!foo@uunet or
foo@bar.UUCP or bar!foo@uunet.uu.net all work dandily.  If you have no
clue as to what the full path to a person over UUCP would be, I'd suggest
the bar!foo@uunet.uu.net.  Happy trails!

Ian Flanigan

flan@ai.wustl.edu              "You can never have too many napkins."
wucs1.wustl.edu!ai!flan@uucp