[news.newusers.questions] uuname -l

robert@gutarman.UUCP (robert) (10/12/89)

I need some help with uuname -l.  What file(s) does uuname -l read?  As you
can see on Reply-to in the header, it says gutarma instead of gutarman.
I've checked and double checked systemid, and I've added gutarman in my
/usr/sys/conf/configure.  I'm running Xenix 386 SysV.  Thanks in advance
for any replies....Oh yeah, I wouldn't reply via mail with the r option..
I doubt it would get to me!! :->

Robert Hough
dynasys!gutarman!robert

root@gutarman.UUCP (> System Administrator) (10/17/89)

Can someone PLEASE tell me what file<s> that uuname -l reads?  I'm having
alot of problems recieving mail, and it's because when I run uuname -l,
it's leaving off the last character in my system id.
Any replies would great.

Robert Hough

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (10/25/89)

In article <54@gutarman.UUCP> root@gutarman.UUCP (Robert Hough  ---> System Administrator) writes:
: Can someone PLEASE tell me what file<s> that uuname -l reads?  I'm having
: alot of problems recieving mail, and it's because when I run uuname -l,
: it's leaving off the last character in my system id.
: Any replies would great.

First, this is the kind of question that is best asked on
comp.unix.questions and followups have been directed there.

But anyway, on my Unix, uuname -l does not read its information
from a file. Instead, the name is stored in the kernel and is
available via the uname system call. It is set by the sysi86
system call. You can use the uname program to set and display the
kernel value.

My manuals are inconsistent as to whether the system name is
limited to seven or eight characters, but experiment suggests
eight.

---
bill@twwells.com

ron@motmpl.UUCP (Ron Widell) (10/25/89)

In article <54@gutarman.UUCP> root@gutarman.UUCP (Robert Hough  ---> System Administrator) writes:

>Can someone PLEASE tell me what file<s> that uuname -l reads?  I'm having
>Robert Hough

Well, I tried to respond before, but a downstream site must have gobbled
it up (I'm getting some strange messages from UUCP admin) so I'll
try again.

In article <42@gutarman.UUCP> robert@gutarma.UUCP () writes:
>I need some help with uuname -l.  What file(s) does uuname -l read?  As you
>can see on Reply-to in the header, it says gutarma instead of gutarman.
>I've checked and double checked systemid, and I've added gutarman in my
>/usr/sys/conf/configure.  I'm running Xenix 386 SysV.  Thanks in advance
>for any replies....Oh yeah, I wouldn't reply via mail with the r option..
>I doubt it would get to me!! :->
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ So why did you put "robert@gutarman.UUCP" in the
field called "Followup-To:"? That *GUARANTEES* that even follow-ups (i.e.
F or f in 'rn') will be via e-mail. I don't mean to flame but the purpose
of those fields has been discussed here recently.

Anyway, to answer your question, the file that uuname -l reads is
named "/unix". That's right, the kernel and drivers, etc. I'm not sure,
but I believe that Xenix 386 SysV is a release 3 (at least Rel. 2), so
you will want to look in "/usr/include/sys/utsname.h". In there you will
find a structure that looks like:

struct utsname {
	char	sysname[STRLEN];
	char	nodename[STRLEN];
	char	release[STRLEN];
	char	version[STRLEN];
	char	machine[STRLEN];
};

and "STRLEN" is some arbitrary integer chosen by whoever built the system.
In your case, the value for STRLEN is 8, which means that your 'sysname'
and 'nodename' must be 7 characters or less (don't forget the trailing null
in C strings). This is discussed in the manual sections describing UUCP
administration (which varies with the release). I do not know how many
modules refer to this structure, but I'd guess that changing the value of
STRLEN would require a complete system rebuild from source, including all
of the UUCP, TCP/IP and RFS or NFS utilities that run on your system.

The bottom line: choose a different nodename.

This is more of a Unix/UUCP type of question, so Follow-ups have been
re-directed to comp.unix.questions.

Regards,
--
Ron Widell, Field Applications Eng.	|UUCP: {...}mcdchg!motmpl!ron
Motorola Semiconductor Products, Inc.,	|Voice:(612)941-6800