[news.newusers.questions] UUCP mail

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (10/25/89)

In <204@scorn.sco.COM> davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) writes:
DB> In your case, I can't.  The .UUCP is not a generally valid domain,
DB> and I have no idea who you talk to.  From the path your article
DB> got to my sight by, I could *guess* that you talk to uunet, but I
DB> can't be positive.

"Not a generally valid domain"?  Does this mean that sometimes it is a
valid domain but other times it isn't?

UUCP is a pseudo-domain; except for poorly configured rn sites it is
usually an accurate statement of how mail is handled for the host
named.  If your site doesn't do UUCP at all you can usually find
successful paths from major sites.  For example, we route outgoing
UUCP mail for user@site.uucp (or site!user) through another major site
(name withheld so as to prevent extra loading) with
user@site.UUCP@major.site.edu.  This works for about 90% of mail I have
to UUCP sites.  For publicized hosts you shouldn't have to find out
who they talk to; the UUCP software will do it for you.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))