[news.newusers.questions] how can I get Pnews to ask for .signature?

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (10/24/89)

I had been using 'rn' and 'postnews' to post articles, and I liked the
'rn' interface better.  Then I asked the net if there was any easy way
to use the 'rn' method for a new article.  Some kind soul informed me
that 'rn' just calls 'Pnews' so I could just use that directly.  I have
been using 'Pnews' ever since, and I like it better than 'postnews'
except for one flaw.  I usually like to include my .signature manually
and answer 'n' to the prompt that asks me if I want to include my
.signature file.  This is because I use multiple mail and news programs,
and this method seems to work in the most cases, and gives me the most
control over the content of my message.  The problem is, 'Pnews' does
not prompt me, but simply appends the .signature file in all cases.
This causes me to get multiple .signature inclusions, and several flames
so far.  I do not remember if 'rn' or 'postnews' asked this question.
Is there any way I can tell Pnews to ask me this question?  I do not
mind typing an extra command line argument, since I can always alias it.
If there is no way I can work around this, who should I contact to have
it fixed?  Thank you for your concern.  -David-

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110
--

jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) (10/24/89)

In article <949@wubios.wustl.edu> david@wubios.UUCP (David J. Camp) writes:

>Is there any way I can tell Pnews to ask me this question?  ...

No. B-news 2.x news posting user interfaces call 'inews' to do the
real work. Appending the .signature file is done by inews unconditionally.
This holds for both Pnews and postnews.

--
-- ######   Jos Vos   ######   Internet   jos@idca.tds.philips.nl   ######
-- ######             ######   UUCP         ...!mcvax!philapd!jos   ######

r4@cbnews.ATT.COM (richard.r.grady..jr) (10/24/89)

In article <949@wubios.wustl.edu> david@wubios.UUCP (David J. Camp) writes:
>[...]                 I usually like to include my .signature manually
>and answer 'n' to the prompt that asks me if I want to include my
>.signature file.  This is because I use multiple mail and news programs,
>and this method seems to work in the most cases, and gives me the most
>control over the content of my message.  The problem is, 'Pnews' does
>not prompt me, but simply appends the .signature file in all cases.
>[...]
>If there is no way I can work around this, who should I contact to have
>it fixed?  Thank you for your concern.  -David-

I, also, use different signatures (one for internal company newsgroups,
and another for world-wide newsgroups).
Here is my work-around:
Pnews, etc. looks for a file named ".signature" in your login directory.
If there is no such file, no signature is appended.
I keep my two signatures in files named ".sig.int" and ".sig.ext"
and edit the appropriate one into my article manually.
--
Dick Grady              r_r_grady@att.com          ...!att!mvuxd!r4

maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) (10/25/89)

Pnews is a simple shell script.  Let's assume it's to be found in /usr/bin.
Copy it to your own bin directory and hack it up to ask you if your signature
should be included.  This signature should NOT be put into a file named
$HOME/.signature, else *inews* would include it too (iff it's shorter than 5
lines and iff there's more body than signature text).
--
A symbolic link is a POINTER to a file, | Maarten Litmaath @ VU Amsterdam:
 a hard link is the file system's GOTO. | maart@cs.vu.nl, mcsun!botter!maart

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (10/25/89)

In <3798@solo7.cs.vu.nl> maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) writes:
Maarten> This signature should NOT be put into a file named
Maarten> $HOME/.signature, else *inews* would include it too (iff it's
Maarten> shorter than 5 lines and iff there's more body than signature
Maarten> text).

It might and it might not; this is where local test groups, like
rpi.test, come in handy.  Find out whether inews is indeed including
$HOME/.signature file at all -- there are are at least three "standard"
inews programmes in operation.  One is for B News, one is for C News,
and one is for NNTP sites.  (News admins will know the details of this
further.)  Policy is frequently different regarding .signatures and
how it is all set up at any given site is not something which can be
safely assumed.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (10/25/89)

In <10552@cbnews.ATT.COM> r4@cbnews.ATT.COM (richard.r.grady..jr) writes:
Dick> I, also, use different signatures (one for internal company
Dick> newsgroups, and another for world-wide newsgroups).  Pnews, etc.
Dick> looks for a file named ".signature" in your login directory.  If
Dick> there is no such file, no signature is appended.  I keep my two
Dick> signatures in files named ".sig.int" and ".sig.ext" and edit the
Dick> appropriate one into my article manually.

Some newsreaders, like GNUS and Gnews, already have some mechanisms
built in for changing .signatures.  GNUS' is based on the distribution
of the article; I have a .signature-rpi for local postings while
.signature goes on everything else.  I understand that Gnews has a
highly customizable way of handling signatues, down to the group to
which an article is being posted.  I'll be hacking GNUS sometime over
the coming weekend to do similar things.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

ray@philmtl.philips.ca (Ray Dunn) (10/26/89)

In article <949@wubios.wustl.edu> david@wubios.UUCP (David J. Camp) writes:

>Is there any way I can tell Pnews to ask me this question?  ...

If the problem is that a .signature file is included when you don't want it,
the easiest way out is to not have a file with the name .signature, and
to manually include whatever you want each time.

--
Ray Dunn.                    | UUCP: ray@philmt.philips.ca
Philips Electronics Ltd.     |       ..!{uunet|philapd|philabs}!philmtl!ray