[news.newusers.questions] How does one find mailing lists

dveditz@dbase.UUCP (Dan Veditz) (10/27/89)

Several times in the discussion over in news.groups and news.admin it
has been suggested that fledgling groups start out as mailing lists
until the traffic gets large enough to warrant a new usenet group.

If this happens then there should be a lot of mailing lists out there
happily doing their thing -- how do I find out what they are?  I've
caught a couple of lists starting up, but can't find lists-in-progress.

-Dan

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (10/27/89)

dveditz@dbase.UUCP (Dan Veditz) writes:
>...there should be a lot of mailing lists out there
>happily doing their thing -- how do I find out what they are?

The batch of monthly postings to news.announce.newusers includes an
article entitled "Publicly Accessible Mailing Lists".  In addition to
listing some 150 mailing lists, it contains the following information:

  that exist primarily on the Arpanet/Milnet.  His list overlaps this
  one in a few places, but the lists are largely distinct.  A copy of
  his list may be obtained by sending mail to "service@nic.ddn.mil"
  with the text "netinfo interest-groups.txt" in the "Subject:" field.
  The list will be broken into sections and mailed back.

Please see the news.announce.newusers article for more details.

Please note, by convention there are two addresses for each mailing
list.  There's "list-name@site" and "list-name-request@site".  Messages
sent to the first address get redistributed to all subscribers.
The request address should be used for all administrative matters such
as "Please add me" messages.  [IOW, if you send a message to 500 people
asking to be added to a list, and only one of them can do anything about
it, you'll have 499 total strangers around the world thinking you're a
weenie.  And we all know how embarrassing that can be.]