[news.newusers.questions] GIF viewing, decoding questions

finn@mojo.UUCP (Finn Markmanrud) (10/31/89)

I keep seeing GIF images posted on the net, but I'm not sure I know
what to do with them. I have several GIF viewers in DOS, and a ton
of GIF images. Is that what these images are? (They are usually found
in comp.sys.ibm.pc). If yes, - how do I get them to DOS?
I know I have to uudecode the file first, but where do I go from there?

Any help deeply appreciated. I'm new both to Unix and Usenet, so please
excuse my ignorance. We all have to start sometime.

Thanks.

--
+=====================+========================+=============================+
|   Finn Markmanrud   |   finn@nec.mojo.com    |   "It can't happen here."   |

[I tried replying, but your return address wasn't usable]

In article <200@mojo.UUCP> finn@mojo.UUCP (Finn Markmanrud) writes:
>I keep seeing GIF images posted on the net, but I'm not sure I know
>what to do with them. I have several GIF viewers in DOS, and a ton
>of GIF images. Is that what these images are?

What do they say they are?  GIF is one of the popular interchange
formats, but by no means the only one.

>                                              (They are usually found
>in comp.sys.ibm.pc). If yes, - how do I get them to DOS?

I assume you have these files on a non-DOS machine (there ARE DOS
machines directly participating in usenet, for whom this is
obviously not a problem).  The best "general" solution I've found
is kermit.  (see comp.protocols.kermit for more information)

>I know I have to uudecode the file first, but where do I go from there?

If they are uuencoded GIF images, you uudecode them and feed the
resulting binary output to a GIF viewer.

>|   Finn Markmanrud   |   finn@nec.mojo.com    |   "It can't happen here."   |
                                    ^^^^^^^^
                                    This is a totally BOGUS address

					-=EPS=-