[news.newusers.questions] Getting files from SIMTEL

alawlor@dit.ie (11/10/89)

This may not be an appropriate question for thsi forum, but here goes anyway!

I recently showed a colleague who doesn't have regular access to the net, a
directory listing of the SIMTEL msdos directories, and he would like to get
some of the stuff off it. I don't have FTP access to anywhere, and he doesn't
have access to E-Mail to use a LISTSERV, so what other options are available.
Are these files available in any other format? If not, how would he go about
getting dial-up access to them?

Any suggestions?

Aengus.            ZIG : Ahh! That makes me feel like a young man!
                   ZAG : It makes me feel like a young woman.
                         I think I'll go out and get one!

garym@telesoft.com (Gary Morris @nova) (11/18/89)

In article <4862.255aeac4@dit.ie>, alawlor@dit.ie writes:

> I recently showed a colleague who doesn't have regular access to the net, a
> directory listing of the SIMTEL msdos directories, and he would like to get
> some of the stuff off it.
> Are these files available in any other format? ...

The SIMTEL20 repository files are available on via ftp, tape in various
format or floppy disks.  I don't think there is any dialup access.  You
should contact Rick Conn (RCONN@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL), manager of the
repository, by email for the latest info on access to the repository.
--GaryM
--
Gary Morris      {uunet,ucsd}!telesoft!garym       TeleSoft
N6FRT            garym@telesoft.com                San Diego, CA, USA