[news.newusers.questions] What are all the bit.listserv.* groups

datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (David Datta) (11/20/89)

I have been deluged with a bunch of new groups that start with
bit.listserv.*. Are these the mailing lists available via various
ListServers? I have subscribed to a few and have not gotten any
articles (in the last week), are they active?

If they are new groups, are there any lists of what the topic are?
--
-Dave datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu

In article <1117@uwm.edu> datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (David Datta) writes:
>I have been deluged with a bunch of new groups that start with
>bit.listserv.*.

Someone is being a bad neighbor.

>                Are these the mailing lists available via various
>ListServers?

Yes, they are for netnews distributions of BITNET LISTSERV lists.

>             I have subscribed to a few and have not gotten any
>articles (in the last week), are they active?

Like I said, someone was being a bad neighbor; you shouldn't have
seen newgroups for these.  Probably some bozo running unfixed C
News.  Like any alternative hierarchy, you need a feed and the
appropriate entries in your sys file.  Like inet, you don't want
to consider bit unless you have a Telebit or NNTP.  bit is also
considerably harder to find, that's why most people haven't heard
of it.

>If they are new groups, are there any lists of what the topic are?

They're not "new"--they're just the same old BITNET lists
described in Internet's INTEREST-GROUPS.TXT and BITNET's
LISTSERV GROUPS files (also the NEW-LIST list).  (I can't be any
more specific at the moment; BITNET sites are slow to yield any
sort of information, and the FTPable stuff on JADE.BERKELEY.EDU
and SH.CS.NET is way out of date).

					-=EPS=-