[news.newusers.questions] :-) et al

agre@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (Phil Agre) (11/26/89)

Hello --

An anthropologist friend of mine is intrigued by Mr Usenet Smiley
and his pals :-) and is told that somewhere there exists a complete
list of them all -- and even scholarly papers on the these symbols
and the broader subject of usenet customs and other bizarre social
phenomena.  Can anyone help me out with pointers or references or
hints or clues or what-have-you?

Many thanks.

Phil Agre
Computer Science Department
University of Chicago
1100 East 58th Street
Chicago, IL  60637

Internet: Agre@gargoyle.uchicago.edu

taxman@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu (11/26/89)

In article <538@gargoyle.uchicago.edu>, agre@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (Phil Agre) writes:
> Hello --
>
> An anthropologist friend of mine is intrigued by Mr Usenet Smiley
> and his pals :-) and is told that somewhere there exists a complete
> list of them all -- and even scholarly papers on the these symbols
> and the broader subject of usenet customs and other bizarre social
> phenomena.  Can anyone help me out with pointers or references or
> hints or clues or what-have-you?
>
> Many thanks.

If u can ftp to SIMTEL20.ARPA you can get lots of files about usenet.
It's been a while since Ive been there but I thik the directories are

pd2:[unix.usenet]*.txt

> Phil Agre
> Computer Science Department
> University of Chicago
> 1100 East 58th Street
> Chicago, IL  60637
>
> Internet: Agre@gargoyle.uchicago.edu

Mike Wommack      Inet: taxman@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu
                 BITnet: taxman@drycas
                 UUCP: {backbone}!pt.cs.cmu.edu!drycas!taxman