[news.newusers.questions] How do I find somebody else's sysadmin?

wdstarr@athena.mit.edu (William December Starr) (11/23/89)

I've seen references in this newsgroup to the practice of reporting
*really* egregious breaches of net.ettiquette and/or state or federal
law to the perpetrator's system administrator.

Well, I'd like to report a bozo who posted a chain letter for a "get
rich quick" pyramid scheme to rec.arts.sf-lovers.  So, assuming the
guy's net.ID is "joe_jerk@foo.bar.edu," how do I find out the name and
address of the system admin at foo.bar.edu?  I suppose I could take a
potshot and send mail to "sysadmin@foo.bar.edu" and hope to get lucky,
but aside from that what steps should I take?  (Or should I just send
Snail Mail off to the office of the Attorney General of the United
States?)

In article <1989Nov23.034343.4663@athena.mit.edu>
	wdstarr@athena.mit.edu (William December Starr) writes:
>                                                   So, assuming the
>guy's net.ID is "joe_jerk@foo.bar.edu," how do I find out the name and
>address of the system admin at foo.bar.edu?  I suppose I could take a
>potshot and send mail to "sysadmin@foo.bar.edu" and hope to get lucky,

Answer #1:
	Look at the site's map entry (these are posted to the
	newsgroup comp.mail.maps); the #E line is the electronic
	mail address of the contact person.
	postmaster@the.site.name  is always supposed to get to
	SOMEONE on Internet sites.  If you see something from a
	uucp site that's not in the maps, then you DO have good
	reason to "hunt 'em down and kill 'em"--all uucp sites
	are supposed to be registered if their names are at all
	visible to the outside world.
Answer #2:
	Unless you, yourself, personally have good reason to
	complain, don't bother!  You're not the only one reading
	usenet, and the people who know how to handle net.abuse
	have probably already seen--and acted upon--the article
	before you do.  Try talking to your own sysadmin FIRST
	if you're seriously contemplating "getting involved."

					-=EPS=-

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (11/24/89)

:
: Well, I'd like to report a bozo who posted a chain letter for a "get
: rich quick" pyramid scheme to rec.arts.sf-lovers.  So, assuming the
: guy's net.ID is "joe_jerk@foo.bar.edu," how do I find out the name and
: address of the system admin at foo.bar.edu?  I suppose I could take a
: potshot and send mail to "sysadmin@foo.bar.edu" and hope to get lucky,
: but aside from that what steps should I take?  (Or should I just send
: Snail Mail off to the office of the Attorney General of the United
: States?)

If you have an address, postmaster@address will almost always
work. You can also try names like: usenet@address, news@address,
root@address, etc. For your example, try postmaster@foo.bar.edu.

BTW, that chain letter is going out on a number of newsgroups; I
guess I'll have to go through all of mine to cancel it.

I, for one, won't knowingly permit my system to be used for
criminal activity.

---
bill@twwells.com

davidg@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (David Guntner) (11/26/89)

From article <161@toaster.SFSU.EDU>, by eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott):

[Stuff deleted]

> 	If you see something from a
> 	uucp site that's not in the maps, then you DO have good
> 	reason to "hunt 'em down and kill 'em"--all uucp sites
> 	are supposed to be registered if their names are at all
> 	visible to the outside world.

Where did you get this idea from?  As I understand it, there is no REQUIREMENT
that a site be registered.  As I recall from the last time I read the
appropriate article in news.announce.newusers (granted, it's been a while),
the only requirement for being on Usenet is that a site must be willing and
able to pass messages to and from at least one other site already on the Net.
If it's not registered, that simply means that it won't get into the net maps,
which means that someone on the outside can't address something to
you@your.machine and have it get there.  They have to address it to
known!your.machine!you (where "known" is the machine that your site is passing
messages to/from (assumning that "known" IS a registered site here...)).  So,
it is encouraged, and even to a site's (and it's users') benifit, that the
site be registered.  However, it is not *required*.
                 --Dave

--
        David Guntner  UUCP: {ames, mit-eddie}!attctc!davidg
                       INET: davidg@attctc.Dallas.TX.US  (killer)

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (11/28/89)

In article <1989Nov23.034343.4663@athena.mit.edu> wdstarr@athena.mit.edu (William December Starr) writes:
}... (Or should I just send
}Snail Mail off to the office of the Attorney General of the United
}States?)

No!

There are few, if any, net.situations so bad that getting "the
authorities" involved can't make them worse.  We DO NOT want the Feds
investigating and/or regulating the net. (Nor do we want private lawyers
aguing over who said what about whom).

Sending e-mail to postmaster@site should cause the miscreant sufficient
grief.  Bringing in the Feds will cause us all more grief than enough.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimis non
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum