[news.newusers.questions] Posting Messages That Aren't Responses

r4@cbnews.ATT.COM (richard.r.grady..jr) (11/15/89)

In article <109@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>In article <1293@rex.cs.tulane.edu> rawdon@rex.UUCP (Michael Rawdon) writes:
>>                                         I used the 'f' command to post this
>>message... the help list doesn't give me any other posting commands besides
>>'f'.  Is there another, something to create a new posting rather than
>>just responding to someone else's message?
>
> [ Scott tells how to do it from within the "rn" program. ]

You also can post a new article from the operating system (i.e., shell)
command level, with the "pnews" program.  Just type the command
      pnews
and it will prompt you for newsgroup(s), subject, etc.

--
Dick Grady              r_r_grady@att.com             ...!att!mvuxd!r4
BL - Merrimack Valley     (508)960-6182             Cornet: 8-245-6182

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (11/15/89)

r4@cbnews.ATT.COM (richard.r.grady) writes:
>You also can post a new article from the operating system (i.e., shell)
>command level, with the "pnews" program.  Just type the command
>      pnews
>and it will prompt you for newsgroup(s), subject, etc.

This seems like a good time to remind folks not to assume that the rest
of the UNIX boxes in the world are configured like theirs.

For example, the above suggestion would produce the following result on
my machine:

  pnews: Command not found.

Every response in this newsgroup comes with an implict "This works on my
system, but you'll have to try it yourself or check with your sysadmin."

--
void *Wayne_Mesard();         Mesard@BBN.COM         BBN, Cambridge, MA

edhew@xenitec.on.ca (Ed Hew) (11/27/89)

In article <48213@bbn.COM> mesard@BBN.COM (Wayne Mesard) writes:
>r4@cbnews.ATT.COM (richard.r.grady) writes:
>>You also can post a new article from the operating system (i.e., shell)
>>command level, with the "pnews" program.  Just type the command
>>      pnews
>>and it will prompt you for newsgroup(s), subject, etc.
>
>This seems like a good time to remind folks not to assume that the rest
>of the UNIX boxes in the world are configured like theirs.
>
>For example, the above suggestion would produce the following result on
>my machine:
>
>  pnews: Command not found.
>
>Every response in this newsgroup comes with an implict "This works on my
>system, but you'll have to try it yourself or check with your sysadmin."

It's quite possible that a given user may not necessarily have a defined
search path to the dir where pnews lives on their system (which of course
varies widely.  Aside from asking their sysadmin/newsadmin, they could
always try a:		find / -name pnews -print
and see what that turns up in the directories they have x perms on.

(of course, it's always possible that the newsadmin may have mv'd it to
 another name.)

>void *Wayne_Mesard();         Mesard@BBN.COM         BBN, Cambridge, MA

  Ed. A. Hew       Authorized Technical Trainer        Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew@xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
->home:	 edhew@xenitec.on.ca	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!edhew
    # Justice is only relative to what you can afford to prove in court.

bret@codonics.COM (Bret Orsburn) (11/28/89)

In article <1989Nov27.035719.1464@xenitec.on.ca> edhew@xenitec.UUCP (Ed Hew) writes:
>In article <48213@bbn.COM> mesard@BBN.COM (Wayne Mesard) writes:
>>r4@cbnews.ATT.COM (richard.r.grady) writes:
>>>You also can post a new article from the operating system (i.e., shell)
>>>command level, with the "pnews" program.  Just type the command
>>>      pnews
>>>and it will prompt you for newsgroup(s), subject, etc.
>>
>>This seems like a good time to remind folks not to assume that the rest
>>of the UNIX boxes in the world are configured like theirs.
>>
>>For example, the above suggestion would produce the following result on
>>my machine:
>>
>>  pnews: Command not found.
>>
>>Every response in this newsgroup comes with an implict "This works on my
>>system, but you'll have to try it yourself or check with your sysadmin."
>
>It's quite possible that a given user may not necessarily have a defined
>search path to the dir where pnews lives on their system (which of course
>varies widely.  Aside from asking their sysadmin/newsadmin, they could
>always try a:		find / -name pnews -print
>and see what that turns up in the directories they have x perms on.
>
>(of course, it's always possible that the newsadmin may have mv'd it to
> another name.)

Ed. A. Hew has missed the point here. I have a vanilla UUCP mail site
and there is no 'pnews' program anywhere on it.

The standard news posting program in B news 2.11 is called 'postnews'.
The program 'Pnews' (not 'pnews') is a news posting program that comes
with 'rn' (which is an optional Public Domain news reading program).
And I'm sure there are other news posting programs, besides those I have
mentioned.

I don't doubt that there is a 'pnews' program somewhere in the universe,
but *my* users will never find it.

So this is not a question of oddball search paths or misguided sysadm actions.

These things are simply done differently on different systems.

But, the good news is, if one of my users typed *any* of the following:

	man readnews
	man vnews
	man rn
	man news

and looked at the "SEE ALSO" section at the bottom of the manual entry,
they would find at least one method to post news.

      Read The [ahem] Friendly Manual -- Why? Because it works!

--

bret@codonics.com
uunet!codonics!bret

johnb@lakesys.lakesys.com (John C. Burant) (11/28/89)

Hmm, somebody was talking about not being about to run a program
called
       pnews

Hmm, I've  never seen it like that.  Wherever I've been it's always
been called:
             Pnews

It makes a difference, you know...
Could that be the problem...

Also, you might try the 'postnews' program.

-John

--
John C. Burant | johnb@lakesys.lakesys.com      | "Now don't you wish you
Glendale, WI   | johnb@lakesys.UUCP             | had someone with perfect

edhew@xenitec.on.ca (Ed Hew) (11/29/89)

In article <432@codonics.COM> bret@codonics.UUCP (Bret Orsburn) writes:
>In article <1989Nov27.035719.1464@xenitec.on.ca> edhew@xenitec.UUCP (Ed Hew) writes:
>>>
>>It's quite possible that a given user may not necessarily have a defined
>>search path to the dir where pnews lives on their system (which of course
>>varies widely.  Aside from asking their sysadmin/newsadmin, they could
>>always try a:		find / -name pnews -print
>>and see what that turns up in the directories they have x perms on.
>>
>>(of course, it's always possible that the newsadmin may have mv'd it to
>> another name.)
>
>Ed. A. Hew has missed the point here. I have a vanilla UUCP mail site
>and there is no 'pnews' program anywhere on it.
>
>The standard news posting program in B news 2.11 is called 'postnews'.
>The program 'Pnews' (not 'pnews') is a news posting program that comes
>with 'rn' (which is an optional Public Domain news reading program).
>And I'm sure there are other news posting programs, besides those I have
>mentioned.

You are quite correct, Pnews (with an uppercase "P") is the correct
name of the program.  Looking for "pnews" will of course not find it
unless someone has linked it to that name for the sake of convenience
of the users on that site.  You will note that the original poster
was trying to execute "pnews" (lower case "p"), hence my (slightly
"wrong_case" answer).  Try a		find / -name Pnews -print
and see what that turns up.

If you simply don't have it, and need the sources (not being able to find
them anywhere closer), I can email them to you, as Pnews isn't large.
As the above poster pointed out though, if you have 'rn' then Pnews
should be lurking around there somewhere.

>      Read The [ahem] Friendly Manual -- Why? Because it works!

Always a good plan!  :-)