[news.newusers.questions] Some useful UNIX commands

efinley%sunset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Elliott Finley) (11/26/89)

In the following list of commands, {...} implies that a name is to be
placed in that location, but not the brackets.  Also, C-d means control-d.

inquiries
---------
date		date and time
who		list of who is logged in on computer
rwho		list of who is logged in on network (r = remote)
cal		calendar (may need arguments)
finger {name}	get information about someone (reads .plan file)
pwd		name of working directory
ls		list files in current directory (lsf on hp's)
man {cmd}	show manual pages for command (also try rman)
calendar	show contents of calendar file for current and next day
leave hhmm	set alarm clock for hh hours and mm minutes from now
expr {expr}	evaluate expression

file manipulations
------------------
more {file}	send file to screen
cd {dir}	change working directory
cp {f1} {f2}	make a copy of file f1 in file f2 (OVERWRITES!!)
rm {file}	remove file
wc {file}	count characters, words, and lines in the file
diff {f1} {f2}	show the difference between two files
lpr {file}	send file to printer
sort {file}	send sorted file to screen (FILE DOES NOT CHANGE)
cat > {file}	put text entered from keyboard into file (terminate with C-d)
cat < {file}	send file to screen

directory manipulations
-----------------------
mkdir {dir}	create a new directory
rmdir {dir}	remove directory

change file protection
----------------------
chmod oga {f}	change protection of file to oga for owner/group/all

save copy of terminal session
-----------------------------
script		start script session
exit		terminate script session (text saved in typescript)

handy stuff to know
-------------------
C-u		kill command line and start over
{command} &	execute command in background mode
!!		execute the last command again
history		list the last few commands that have been executed
!n		execute the nth command again
{c1} | {c2}	use the output of command c1 as input to command c2 (pipe)

mail
----
mail			read mail
mail {name}		send mail to someone (name can be a list in .mailrc)
mail {name} < {file}	send file to someone

commands in read mail mode
--------------------------
{ret}		read next message (return key)
d		delete message
{num}		read messages starting with num
r		send response to sender and all on cc list
R		send response only to sender
s {file}	save message in file
m		go into send mail mode
h		show headers of messages
q		quit mail
?		list options

commands in text of outgoing mail (must be on separate line)
~r {file}	insert file
~c {name}	add to cc list
~t {name}	add to recipient list
~e		enter editor to make changes
~q		abort message
~?		list options
C-d		send the message

----
Hope this helps...
                      Elliot

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (11/29/89)

In article <1989Nov25.135829.866@hellgate.utah.edu>
finley%sunset.utah.edu.UUCP@cs.utah.edu (Elliott Finley) writes:
>mail
>----
>r		send response to sender and all on cc list
>R		send response only to sender

Nobody else has mentioned this yet, so I thought I'd have a go at it.
On my machine, at least, these two are backwards:  "r" replies to the
individual who sent the message, "R" replies to everyone in the
list.

--
The 'C' programming language is, at worst, the second best language for any
given application.  Usually, however, it is the best.  --  anon

Wayne Hayes	INTERNET: wayne@csri.toronto.edu	CompuServe: 72401,3525