[news.newusers.questions] Any mechanism for usenet<-->BIX cross posting ?

dash@legs.UUCP (Darrell Shively) (12/02/89)

	I suspect that the answer to this will be a curt "NO", but I need
to ask anyway: Is there any mechanism for sending email from the usenet
network to someone who is a user of BIX ?
--
Darrell M. Shively II (dash)        uucp:      {ccicpg,felix}!legs!dash
AST Research Inc. Dept 660          MS OnLine: MS05455

dan@charyb.COM (Dan Mick) (12/03/89)

In article <280@legs.UUCP> dash@legs.UUCP (Darrell Shively) writes:

>	I suspect that the answer to this will be a curt "NO", but I need
>to ask anyway: Is there any mechanism for sending email from the usenet
>network to someone who is a user of BIX ?

There is a service called DASNET that supports mail between BIX and
various other nets (MCI, Usenet, etc.).  Both you and the intended BIX
recipient must subscribe.  I don't know how to get info through the net,
but on BIX you can "mail to dasnet" and get some info...I believe there's
also a conference called "dasnet.info" that discusses pricing, capabilities,
subscription procedures, etc.

--
.sig files are idiotic and wasteful.

pa1027@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (John C. Fowler) (12/04/89)

In article <329@charyb.COM> dan@charyb.UUCP (Dan Mick) writes:
>In article <280@legs.UUCP> dash@legs.UUCP (Darrell Shively) writes:
>>Is there any mechanism for sending email from the usenet
>>network to someone who is a user of BIX ?
>
>There is a service called DASNET that supports mail between BIX and
>various other nets (MCI, Usenet, etc.).

Time for the obligatory Usenet correction (I'll try to keep it
short).  Remember, "Usenet" is what you're reading right now.  It's
not something you send mail over.  You send mail over UUCP, or the
Internet, or whatever, but there's no such thing as a Usenet account.

>                                         Both you and the intended BIX
>recipient must subscribe.

Unless they've changed the rules since a couple of years ago, only
one user need have an account.  But in that case, that user will be
charged for incoming DASnet messages as well as outgoing ones.  If
it just so happens that both users do subscribe, then both are
charged only for their outgoing messages.  If neither subscribes,
then obviously, the message doesn't get sent.

Try mailing to russ@11.DAS.NET.

>but on BIX you can "mail to dasnet" and get some info...I believe there's
>also a conference called "dasnet.info" that discusses pricing, capabilities,
>subscription procedures, etc.

A personal opinion from a former subscriber: DASnet has a friendly
staff, and it does deliver what it promises.  If someone has an
E-Mail address on any electronic network, chances are you can reach
that person via DASnet (or arrange with DASnet to connect that
particular network as a new link).  The only exceptions to this rule
are CompuServe and GEnie, both of which have explicitly forbidden
DASnet to link to them (to send to CompuServe, see earlier messages
in this group; GEnie apparently enjoys being a recluse).  However,
they do have a monthly fee ($4.50/month two years ago) that can
really add up if you don't plan on using the service very much.  The
rates per message aren't too high (about 5 cents per message more
than it costs them to deliver it, I believe).  If you feel you will
use the service, you'll probably be very happy with them.

--
John C. Fowler, jfowler@ucsd.edu.
Not necessarily the opinions of the U. C. Regents.

steve@thelake.UUCP (Steve Yelvington) (12/04/89)

In article <5546@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>,
     pa1027@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (John C. Fowler) writes ...

>In article <329@charyb.COM> dan@charyb.UUCP (Dan Mick) writes:
>>In article <280@legs.UUCP> dash@legs.UUCP (Darrell Shively) writes:
>>>Is there any mechanism for sending email from the usenet
>>>network to someone who is a user of BIX ?
>>
>>There is a service called DASNET that supports mail between BIX and
>>various other nets (MCI, Usenet, etc.).
>
>Time for the obligatory Usenet correction (I'll try to keep it
>short).  Remember, "Usenet" is what you're reading right now.  It's
>not something you send mail over.  You send mail over UUCP, or the
>Internet, or whatever, but there's no such thing as a Usenet account.

Good point. Usenet is a public discussion network that flows over a
strange variety of physical connections.

By the way, there is (theoretically) a mechanism for cross-posting of
public messages between Usenet and BIX. The Citadel (STadel) BBS network
currently uses BIX as a backbone for several discussion groups, notably C,
STadel, and Atari ST.* The BBS software also has the capability of carrying
Usenet news (forwarded via UUCP links). I don't think there currently is a
Usenet<->Citadel<->BIX news link, but it is not impossible. (Note: E-mail
can flow from UUCP through multiple Citadel connections, but the Citadel-BIX
connection doesn't know what to do with it.)

   --
   * This link was set up shortly after Telenet/PC-Pursuit boosted its
     rates and cracked down on heavy users, many of whom were BBS sysops