[news.newusers.questions] HELP: Need public access site in Manhattan

cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (12/01/89)

A NYC friend of mine needs on the net real bad, a local call from
Manhattan.  Is Big Electric Cat Dead?  Is there anyone else in NYC?  If
there is no one, then how would he get onto uunet?

Thanks

O------------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large, cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, Binghamton NY 13901
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

--

watrous@athos.rutgers.edu (Don Watrous) (12/02/89)

In article <2688@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:

> A NYC friend of mine needs on the net real bad, a local call from
> Manhattan.

From the Open Access UNIX (*NIX) Sites posting in pubnet.nixpub:
                         [ November 26, 1989 ]

Last
Contact
Date   Telephone #    Sys-name    Location                Baud        Hours
-----  ------------   --------    -----------             -------     -----

10/89  212-420-0527   magpie      NYC                 NY  3/12/24/96  24
  ? - UNIX SYSV - 2, Magpie BBS, no fee, Authors: Magpie/UNIX,/MSDOS
  two lines plus anonymous uucp: 212-677-9487 (9600 bps Telebit modem)
  NOTE: 9487 reserved for registered Magpie sysops & anon uucp
  Contact: Steve Manes, {rutgers|cmcl2|uunet}!hombre!magpie!manes

10/89  212-675-7059   marob       NYC                 NY  3/12/24  24
  386 SCO-XENIX 2.2, XBBS, magpie bbs, no fee, limit 60 min
  Telebit Trailblazer (9600 PEP) only 212-675-8438
  Contact:  {philabs|rutgers|cmcl2}!{phri|hombre}!marob!clifford

05/89  212-879-9031^  dasys1      NYC                 NY  12/24    24
  Unistride - SYS V, multiple lines, fee $5/mo  AKA Big Electric Cat
  USENET, games, multi-user chat, email, login: new, passwd: new
  Contact: ...!rutgers!cmcl2!rsweeney or rsweeney@dasys1.UUCP

NOTE:  ^ means the site is reachable using PC Pursuit.
{backbone}!cs.rutgers.edu!watrous        watrous@cs.rutgers.edu

cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (12/03/89)

In article <Dec.1.21.49.12.1989.25959@athos.rutgers.edu> watrous@athos.rutgers.edu (Don Watrous) writes:
>Date   Telephone #    Sys-name    Location                Baud        Hours
>-----  ------------   --------    -----------             -------
-----

Are these data or voice lines?

>05/89  212-879-9031^  dasys1      NYC                 NY  12/24    24
>  Unistride - SYS V, multiple lines, fee $5/mo  AKA Big Electric Cat
>  USENET, games, multi-user chat, email, login: new, passwd: new
>  Contact: ...!rutgers!cmcl2!rsweeney or rsweeney@dasys1.UUCP

I knew about this site, and asked my friend to call there, and he said
they didn't answer.

jsb@panix.UUCP (J. S. B'ach) (12/04/89)

In article <2688@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:
)
)A NYC friend of mine needs on the net real bad, a local call from
)Manhattan.  Is Big Electric Cat Dead?  Is there anyone else in NYC?  If
)there is no one, then how would he get onto uunet?
)
)Thanks

The Big Electric Cat is just fine although suffering from chronic technical
problems (so that I've been unable to get on in 3 days due to modem failure).
The dial-in number is 212-879-9031.  Panix (whence I am posting) is unable to
take on new users at present due to lack of phone lines (NYNEX strike).
--
    rutgers!cmcl2!panix!jsb  (or, if you want the mail to get there, uunet!actnyc!jsb)
"Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God" - Lenny Bruce

jsb@panix.UUCP (J. S. B'ach) (12/06/89)

)>-----  ------------   --------    -----------             -------
)-----
)
)Are these data or voice lines?
)
)>05/89  212-879-9031^  dasys1      NYC                 NY  12/24    24
)>  Unistride - SYS V, multiple lines, fee $5/mo  AKA Big Electric Cat
)>  USENET, games, multi-user chat, email, login: new, passwd: new
)>  Contact: ...!rutgers!cmcl2!rsweeney or rsweeney@dasys1.UUCP
)
)I knew about this site, and asked my friend to call there, and he said
)they didn't answer.
)
That's because he wasn't persistant.  The CAT is having modem problems so it
is difficult to get a free line.  Wadaya want for $5 a month?  In a few months
he can get on Panix (whence this posting).
--
    rutgers!cmcl2!panix!jsb  (or, if you want the mail to get there, uunet!actnyc!jsb)
"I have discovered a truly remarkable proof of this which, unfortunately, a four line