[news.newusers.questions] Killing messages

jmdoyle@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jennifer Doyle) (12/10/89)

Here's a strange question: How do I kill off all articles from a certain
news group? Let me explain. We have a group here called junk. Any article
posted to a group that has not been newgrouped here ends up in junk. The
problem is I have to plow through a lot of articles I don't want to read.
Any ideas?

Jen

--
       "Make mine a root beer, Mike. Thanks. To communication! <CRASH>"
   Jennifer Doyle   //   Princeton  '92   //   jmdoyle@phoenix.princeton.edu

erc@khijol.UUCP (Edwin R. Carp) (12/11/89)

In article <12083@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> jmdoyle@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jennifer Doyle) writes:
>Here's a strange question: How do I kill off all articles from a certain
>news group? Let me explain. We have a group here called junk. Any article

How 'bout "find /usr/spool/news/junk -type f -exec rm -f {} \; &" ?  That's
what I use.  I also use a small shell script to automatically add unknown
news groups to my active file.

--------------------------- discard all after this line ------------------------
Ed Carp	N7EKG/5 (28.3-28.5) ...!attctc!puzzle!khijol!erc   (home) (512) 445-2044
Snail Mail:  1800 E. Stassney  #1205 Austin, Tx  78744

"You may think you're smart, Pierce, but you're STUPID!  But, you've met your
 match in ME!"  - Col. Flagg
"Good tea.  Nice house."  -- Worf

In article <12083@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> jmdoyle@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jennifer Doyle) writes:
| Here's a strange question: How do I kill off all articles from a certain
| news group? Let me explain. We have a group here called junk. Any article
| posted to a group that has not been newgrouped here ends up in junk. The
| problem is I have to plow through a lot of articles I don't want to read.
| Any ideas?

  You can (a) mark all as read (cy in rn, K in vnews), or unsubscribe to
the group (u in rn, ug in vnews). If you're the site admin, and it
doesn't sound as though you are, you can expire it regularly (like hourly).
that the world is flat!" - anon

In article <12107@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> jmdoyle@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jennifer Mary Doyle) writes:

| Good question. Tell me the answer. The answer is *not* unsubscribe, as about
| 10 million people have emailed me to say, one of them in big letters. It is
| not killfiles affecting the header either, as I've tried this. The group
| name doesn't show up in the header. So, what do I do?

  Now that you've clarified the question, you can do it in rn, although
it takes a bit of diddling. Unmark the newsgroups field with
"& +hnewsgroups" and then you can use "/alt.barf/hj" to zap the groups
you don't want. I assume that you can get this into the KILL and .rninit
files although I only tried it interractively.
that the world is flat!" - anon

dveditz@dbase.UUCP (Dan Veditz) (12/13/89)

In article <12083@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> jmdoyle@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jennifer Doyle) writes:
>Here's a strange question: How do I kill off all articles from a certain
>news group? Let me explain. We have a group here called junk. Any article
>posted to a group that has not been newgrouped here ends up in junk. The
>problem is I have to plow through a lot of articles I don't want to read.

The answers posted so far don't seem to match your question -- Those
tell you how to delete *everything*, and I got the impression that
you wanted to delete everything but a (few?) certain group(s).

I'm going to assume you are using "rn" -- if you're not, sorry, can't
help (it helps to include what software you're using and what version
level -- this applies to any computer related plea for help, something
like telling an auto mechanic the year and model).

For the sake of example I'm going to assume you want to get rid of
everything except articles for alt.callahans (I've seen you there, and
it's a new enough group that it probably falls into junk on some machines).

When you're on the first new article in junk, type

     /alt\.callahans/h:M
     c y

The first command will look for all occurances of alt.callahans
in article headers (the h) and will mark them *un*read (the capital
M is important as articles marked with the lowercase m will go away
when the 'c' command is used).  The next line will now mark all
the rest of the articles as read.  Now quit from junk and re-enter
it, and only the alt.callahans articles will be there.

If you want to get fancy you can put a variant of this in your KILL
file (see "man rn" for variations on the above and for KILL files).

-Dan
uunet!ashtate!dveditz
dveditz@ashtate.A-T.COM