[news.newusers.questions] How do I convert a file with .Z on the end?

dal8372@cec1.wustl.edu (David A. Luther) (12/13/89)

I have a few files that have a .Z on the end of them.  How do I convert
them to a normal file?  If there is a program to do this, does anyone
have a copy?

Thanks,
Dave

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (12/13/89)

In article <1989Dec12.210649.17844@cec1.wustl.edu> dal8372@cec2.UUCP (David A. Luther) writes:
: I have a few files that have a .Z on the end of them.  How do I convert
: them to a normal file?  If there is a program to do this, does anyone
: have a copy?

The program is called "compress". It is available on many systems.
The variation called "uncompress" will recover the original file.

Compress is available from many archive sites, as C source code,
for those who don't have the command on their system. If you don't
know how to get to any archives, first ask your system
administrator for help. If that does not work, try sending me
e-mail.

---
bill@twwells.com

king@cell.mot.COM (Steven King) (12/14/89)

In article <1989Dec12.210649.17844@cec1.wustl.edu> dal8372@cec2.UUCP (David A. Luther) writes:
>I have a few files that have a .Z on the end of them.  How do I convert
>them to a normal file?  If there is a program to do this, does anyone
>have a copy?

On a Unix system, the program that compresses files and adds the .Z extension
is generally know as 'compress', the complementary program to uncompress them
is (not surprisingly) 'uncompress'.  I wouldn't be too surprised if you've
already got these at your site, possibly under a different name.

--
---------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
If there's a byte of data in the computer but no   | Steve King  (708) 991-8056

fred@cdin-1.UUCP (Fred Rump) (12/15/89)

In article <1989Dec12.210649.17844@cec1.wustl.edu> dal8372@cec2.UUCP (David A. Luther) writes:
>I have a few files that have a .Z on the end of them.  How do I convert
>them to a normal file?  If there is a program to do this, does anyone
>have a copy?

On my box (386 Xenix) this is a compressed file.
I simply say:
compress -d filename
and I get a nice uncompressed file
compress filename
will automatically append the Z to the end of the file to indicate its new
status in life.
Fred

--
Fred Rump              | UUCP:  {uunet bpa dsinc}!cdin-1!fred
CompuData, Inc.        |  or ...{allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}

roy@comcon.UUCP (Roy M. Silvernail) (12/15/89)

In article <563@grape3.UUCP|, king@cell.mot.COM (Steven King) writes:
| In article <1989Dec12.210649.17844@cec1.wustl.edu> dal8372@cec2.UUCP (David A. Luther) writes:
| >I have a few files that have a .Z on the end of them.  How do I convert
| >them to a normal file?  If there is a program to do this, does anyone
| >have a copy?
|
| On a Unix system, the program that compresses files and adds the .Z extension
| is generally know as 'compress', the complementary program to uncompress them
| is (not surprisingly) 'uncompress'.  I wouldn't be too surprised if you've
| already got these at your site, possibly under a different name.

At my site, 'compress -d filename' does it... no need to add '.Z'
--
_R_o_y _M_. _S_i_l_v_e_r_n_a_i_l  | UUCP: uunet!comcon!roy  |  "No, I don't live in an igloo!"
[ah, but it's my account... of course I opine!]           -Sourdough's riposte