[news.newusers.questions] node searching

afoiani@nmsu.EDU (Anthony Foiani) (12/16/89)

Quick Question:
  I know a userid at LCLARK on BITNET.  Is there any "Standard" way to
find if they have an internet node name?

Please E-Mail [I doubt lots of people need this information]

Thanks,
Tony
--
tony foiani  (afoiani@nmsu.edu)         "And remember...don't lose your
a.k.a. Tkil  (mcsajf@nmsuvm1.bitnet)     head..." -Ramirez, HIGHLANDER

luner@werewolf.CS.WISC.EDU (David L. Luner) (12/19/89)

In article <AFOIANI.89Dec15120857@dante.nmsu.EDU> afoiani@nmsu.EDU (Anthony Foiani) writes:

>  I know a userid at LCLARK on BITNET.

Address is incomplete. You need a userid AND a node-name, e.g. CUNYVM or
NMSUVM1

> Is there any "Standard" way to find if they have an internet node name?

You can play around with the name servers (nslookup, for us) but the simplest
way to send mail is to address it to

	user@node.BITNET

and assume that you have a reasonably good mailer and it gets to a gateway.
Alternatively, if you know of a gateway (e.g. CUNYVM, but you didn't hear
it from me) system that is on both networks, usually

	user%node.BITNET@gateway

works. For example,

	user%node.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

    -- David