[news.newusers.questions] Posting to alt.* via mail

magnus@thep.lu.se (Magnus Olsson) (12/29/89)

In Article <8912210805.AA21185@nu.cs.fsu.edu> of news.newusers.questions,
peterson@NU.CS.FSU.EDU (Eric J. Peterson) writes:

>>I was wondering if there was an
>>address at some site that I could mail my news postings to for distribution to
>>get around my lack of posting access here.

>The overwhelming majority of mail that I did receive was similar to the
>following letter:
>
>From: msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith)
>
>| For any groups that they carry, you can send mail to
>| {groupnamealtered}@ucbvax.berkeley.edu with your article.

[stuff deleted]

>I received
>another letter that stated that mailing to the name of the newsgroup (with
>dots translated to hyphens) at ANY backbone site should work as well, but
>your mileage may vary.  A few letters stated that not all newsgroups
>(notably the alt.* groups) could be reached through ucbvax.

As stated above, ucbvax works for most newsgroups (this message was posted
that way), but not for the alt.* hierarchy. I've also tried posting to
alt.* groups via various backbone sites, but it didn't work.

Does anyone out there know if there's any mail address one can use to
post to alt.* groups?

Magnus Olsson