[news.newusers.questions] How do I "catchup" on all newsgroups at once?

steve%revolver@gatech.edu (01/04/90)

Is there are command or does someone have a routine for "catching up" on all
subscribed newsgroups at once.  I read news on two different machines - when
one is down, I use the other.  It would be nice to instantly catch up on the
backup machine after having read the news on the primary machine.

***    The preceding statements represent the opinions of the author.   ***
       They must not be interpreted as representing the beliefs of any
       other person, institution, government agency, or business entity.

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (01/04/90)

steve%revolver@gatech.edu writes:

}Is there are command or does someone have a routine for "catching up" on all
}subscribed newsgroups at once.  ...

Well, you didn't say what newsreader you use.  I assume it is 'rn', and I
can't help you there.  But 'nn' will do that all basically automatically [I
think "nn -a0" will do the job].  You should check out nn... it is really a
VERY nice newsreader.  It lured me away from rn about a month or two back and
i haven't looked back since...

  /Bernie\

In article <4586@hydra.gatech.EDU> steve%revolver@gatech.edu () writes:
>                                I read news on two different machines - when
>one is down, I use the other.  It would be nice to instantly catch up on the
>backup machine after having read the news on the primary machine.

If they are both served by the same NNTP server and have
equivalent nntp_access rights, you can copy the .newsrc et al.
files around.  Otherwise there's a nasty time window; you'll
potentially catch up on articles you should have seen.

					-=EPS=-