[news.newusers.questions] inews error message

scarpell@cnca.UUCP (Claude Scarpelli) (12/28/89)

Hi,

I'm using the news system on a Bull DPX2000 running SPIX (Syst V.2)
What is the meaning of this message, send by /usr/bin/inews :

	inews: Inbound news is garbled.

Thanks

tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (12/28/89)

In article <1271@cnca.UUCP> scarpell@cnca.UUCP (Claude Scarpelli) writes:
> I'm using the news system on a Bull DPX2000 running SPIX (Syst V.2)
> What is the meaning of this message, send by /usr/bin/inews :
>           inews: Inbound news is garbled.

There could be other reasons for this, but back when rpi.edu was a B
News site I would see this anytime we got an article for which its
byte-count in the #! rnews header did not match the byte count for the
article.  This would usually arise when transmission of the batch was
somehow interrupted.

For example, the following would probably generate that message:
-----
#! rnews 1234
From: user@site.UUCP
Subject: Truncated articles appe
------

Dave
--
   (setq mail '("tale@cs.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

brnstnd@stealth.acf.nyu.edu (01/06/90)

In article <1271@cnca.UUCP> scarpell@cnca.UUCP (Claude Scarpelli) writes:
> What is the meaning of this message, send by /usr/bin/inews :
> 	inews: Inbound news is garbled.

It means you made a booboo while talking to your local NNTP. Your
forgery will be instantly reported to sites nationwide and you'll
probably be thrown off the net if not executed on the spot. :-)

Seriously, inews doesn't like something about the article it received.
If you can reproduce the errant input, check for inconsistent, strange,
or missing header lines.

---Dan